• 505 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:04 AM

Its a beautiful thing.

#3 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:26 AM

One interesting thing to note (pointed out by the guy who runs the Eaglemoss Trek fan facebook page), is that it's unfortunately the same model as used by Eaglemoss for their C. That is to say, it's a weird hybrid of Enterprise-C, and later Ambassador class models. I'll quote his posts here for those interested (and trust me, this guy makes his own CG versions of these ships - I'd argue he knows them as well as Tobias Richter):

• It has the correct sensor dome and MAYBE the sharp edge on the saucer dip, but the secondary hull and nacelles are misshapen JUST like the Eaglemoss one.
  • It's got the same huge deflector with too small a step-down to the deflector.
  • It's got the same squat nacelles.
  • Yamaguchi bridge. 

37345040_10156285768761147_9443266554159

That picture is a comparison of the Eaglemoss CG model of the 'C' (which aside from a few slight changes, does appear to be the same one that DST have used), and a technical manual drawing of her, which is basically spot on.

Whilst this isn't enough to put me off getting it (it's nowhere near as bad as the differences between the Defiant miniature and initial CG version), it's still REALLY confusing as to why they can't just use someone like Tobias Richter - i.e. someone who really knows these ships down to a tee - to provide them with some really accurate CG renders to use for mould-making.

EDIT: Just to be absolutely clear, please don't see this as me being negative. I think it's great they're making the C, and with the right paint application, some people won't notice/care about the errors. However, I think they are worth pointing out because when you see how accurate their NX-01 is, as well as the Enterprise-E and Excelsiors, then it'd be nice to know the process of deciding on using one version over another, especially when it isn't fully accurate.

Just my opinion, and this goes for Eaglemoss as well, but what's the harm in announcing the ship in advance, and showing off the preliminary mock-ups? That way, if people do point out that the bridge is the wrong one, or perhaps maybe the entire drive section is incorrect, then it could be rectified quite easily.

That, or just hire Tobias! lol

#4 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:47 AM

I don't see it as being negative at all, the Eaglemoss model for the C is really not good, why DST would use the same one is beyond me. I knew when I saw her pictures that there was something off about her since I see a proper model multiple times a day sitting on my dresser, but couldn't put my finger on it. 

I'm still excited, and hopefully the final isn't as bad as the EM one, but we'll see. 

Its just weird how they have a ships that are virtually spot on, and then ones like the D and now the C that have issues. The D isn't this bad, but it just doesn't make sense why they can be so inconsistent.

Even the Reliant seems to be spot on from the little we've seen of her. 

Even STO has started working with Tobias on their ships. They used his DS9 model when they completely revamped it for Victory is Life, and they just released a new Excelsior model yesterday that used his work. 

He is fantastic. 

https://www.arcgames...ed-and-on-sale!

#5 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:49 AM

Soooo Whats the variant?  Blown up Enterprise C?

#6 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:42 AM

Maybe the dst one will have an impulse drive?

#7 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:23 PM

How many years til available?

^^ being negative

#8 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:39 PM

One interesting thing to note (pointed out by the guy who runs the Eaglemoss Trek fan facebook page), is that it's unfortunately the same model as used by Eaglemoss for their C. That is to say, it's a weird hybrid of Enterprise-C, and later Ambassador class models.

That guy seems to be having a meltdown if I say so myself.  Ive never expected the DST (or EM for that matter) ships to be 100% accurate so the quibbles with this model dont really bother me.  They're probably still finalizing some details anyway.

#9 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:52 PM

Im in a big twitter conversion with that person and a couple others that seem to want perfection from the ship.

Id love them to tweak some stuff, but they seem to want DST to go back to the drawing board on this ship.

Edit:
Holy crap he is having a melt down. Even with the inaccuracies, I think it looks pretty damn good. 

#10 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:40 PM

And.... it's people like that , that make all Star Trek fans look bad.

#11 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:58 PM

Im in a big twitter conversion with that person and a couple others that seem to want perfection from the ship.

Id love them to tweak some stuff, but they seem to want DST to go back to the drawing board on this ship.

Edit:
Holy crap he is having a melt down. Even with the inaccuracies, I think it looks pretty damn good. 

Ok good I thought it was just me who noticed that.  Considering that the ambassador model was damaged and isnt available and no CG model was ever made for the show I think DST did the best they could.  Everything he pointed out seems to be a fairly minor detail that was barely noticeable.

#12 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:52 AM

In no way am I defending any super-nuttiness (bear in mind that Dave's British, and our sense of humour is very different in regards to making fun of something; 'taking the piss' as it were - also the Enterprise-C has been a recurring topic of humour/mockery in that group since it came out), but surely we can all agree that it's baffling that when there's renowned modellers who've made perfect versions of these ships for CBS themselves (Tobias), that they don't use them to make the documents that these merchandise companies can then use? It's just surprising to me, especially considering old Star Trek was the TV show known for being sticklers for detail.

Same as with the Enterprise-D, there's no manufacturing/electronics reason for the ship to be the wrong shape. Again, not trying to be negative (I agree in this instance that it really isn't too bad, looks lovely in regards to detail and build), but I'm just baffled that this still occurs nowadays.

#13 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:18 AM

Maybe the 'variant' Zach mentioned is the other version? :P

#14 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:24 AM

Haha, wouldn't be too hard to do! :P

Wonder what it is, though?

#15 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:53 AM

Niagara class?

#16 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:20 AM

Not doubting anyone, but are we sure the variant isn't the 'cloaked' R-BoP? I only ask because I just double-checked, and unless DST are going to do something they've never done before (release an Enterprise dressed as a sistership), then I've no idea what a variant of the C could be that fits the bill of having not just lights, but sounds as well.

If they were to start doing that, I'd sell my Enterprise-B for a Lakota in a heartbeat. :)

#17 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:11 AM

The variant that makes the most sense to me is a battle damaged one. Really from the perspective of the show that's the only way it was shown, so the clean one they are showing now is actually the variant.

#18 DefiantOne

DefiantOne

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:19 AM

The variant that makes the most sense to me is a battle damaged one. Really from the perspective of the show that's the only way it was shown, so the clean one they are showing now is actually the variant.

Maybe also the "Yamaguchi" variant. It has some notable changes such as lower warp engines/pylons and more Galaxy Class style bussard collectors, different deflector and ventral phaser strip. Other than that the Yamaguchi variant has not seen any significant action on screen and I'd see them doing a battle damaged Enterprise-C first.

#19 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:19 AM

Wasn't the C's battle damage only "skin deep" though? I feel that could easily enough be replicated in paint. 

Sculpting damage into the ship would be incredibly cool, but i'm not sure if it'd be worth the cost. I feel a "clean" C will be the better seller. 

#20 DefiantOne

DefiantOne

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:22 AM

Wasn't the C's battle damage only "skin deep" though? I feel that could easily enough be replicated in paint. 

Yes, those were decals that could be easily removed after shooting the scenes from "Yesterday's Enterprise" for reusing the model on various other occasions later in TNG and DS9. It's the same with the name and registry of most of the starfleet studio models, such as the often reused Miranda and Oberth models.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users