86 replies to this topic

#21 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Fitness, Writing, World Domination

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:08 AM

Dude I still have a bunch of my playmates stuff on display!

No one has yet done an electronic Defiant or Voyager - and by the time Diamond Select get round to it I'm likely to be in my cold, cold grave.  Plus a lot of the figures and ships still hold up and put many modern 'k-mart' style toys to shame!

#22 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

What do you mean,no one's done Defiant or Voyager? Playmates did a pretty good version of both,but of course not in the same quality as DST would do. But I like my Defiant and Voyager just fine,and they actually are on display,LOL!

I'm pretty sure when I get bored with all the cra....stuff...that's on display around the house right now,I'll be dragging out the good 'ol Playmates stuff again,lol.

J-R!

#23 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:17 AM

Yeah sorry man thats what I meant - no one since Playmates.

I have both the Defiant and Voyager proudly on display - and in my opinion, Playmates trumps DST in terms of playability, durability and quality control (sentiments I have espoused elsewhere on the forum).

As I fill the gaps in my playmates collection, I am displaying them all - making my way through the transporter series figures at the moment, and just got Leeta the Dabo girl!

- Jim

#24 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

LOL! Yeah,I know what you meant. I like my Defiant and Voyager as well,but I like the DST stuff too. Btw.the Data and Picard you're missing are available on Amazon. Just wanted to let you know.

J-R!

#25 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

Just limited by the bank balance, but thanks dude.  I've been using ebay to get most of the 4.5 inch figures - Amazon shipping can be a little high to Australia - and of course trying to find the few collectables stores that still have some in stock!

I know Professor Data is hardly essential - but he is a version of Data looking like a skunk :-)

#26 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Model making, songwriting, DIY, general tinkering and not ever being able to just leave something the way it is!

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

I know Professor Data is hardly essential - but he is a version of Data looking like a skunk :-)

:roflmao:

#27 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:04 AM

LOL! Yeah,he did look kinda skunk-ish. Made me laugh first time I saw it.

Amazon won't even ship toys over here so I always have to ship my stuff to friends in the US and pick it up when I get there or they ship it on to me. If I really want something,I really don't care how much shipping is,as long as I get it,lol! My DST Enterprise D is in Raleigh right now,for instance.

Was actually checking out some Playmates stuff right now,stuff I've been missing out on because of my stupid short attention span,lol! Walking a fine line between Spidey and ST right now,as I'm into both and it's a kinda tug of war every time I see something cool I wanna buy,lol! And I really suck at choosing! If there are three or four items that I really want,but have to choose only one or two.....I usually end up with none of them,or all of'em,lol!

Keep up the great work JP!

J-R!

#28 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:30 AM

Thanks man! 

Yeah I have the same tug of war between Star Trek and Doctor Who (not sure if Doctor Who is popular in Norway).  The action figures for that show are quite decent and almost in scale with the old Star Trek Playmates.

I also agree with you about shipping - I paid an insane amount for shipping when I bought Red 'Redemption' Data last year - just cause I was so excited to get the figure!

If youre interested, I posted some newly found images on the site of Toyfare 1997 - check out the Captain Sisko prototype figure - clearly constructed from an earlier Commander Sisko figure. 

In the end - consumers got a much different Sisko.  What a shame they didn't use the original Sisko body.

http://upcloseandpla...logspot.com.au/

- Jim

#29 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:22 AM

Gotta find a comparison pic for that Sisko fig,lol! Was the pic flipped originally? Dead giveaway when you get the commbadge on the wrong side and it just looks wrong. I only care about it when magazines and newspapers do it,and of course one version of the movie trailer in 09,GEE! lol! One time,a national newspaper in this pathetic country printed the Enterprise upside down. I was like,GEE and they wonder why I call people in this country MORONS!? LOL!

DW is getting more popular here too. One of the comic stores even has a bunch of Who stuff,WAY overpriced of course. I always get my Who stuff on my various London trips. Don't really collect all that much Who stuff anymore though,kinda peaked for me a while back. But the figs,before they changed scale,were really great! And the Tardis playset was really good too. And I do love my 18" voice controlled Dalek and RC K-9,lol. My Tardis Christmas lights are pretty cool too.

Yeah,I get easily excited about a toy I've been looking for for ages,or even a new one that I've been waiting for.....SPM KITT!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!....but with my incredibly short attention span it only takes about five minutes and it's gone. So every time I see stuff like that I know that if I wait a few minutes,I won't be ordering it,LOL! And then a week or two  later I REALLY regret it. Sometimes I buy stuff just on impulse. Stores must love me,getting to checkout and seeing something and just go,OMG!!!! I SOO GOTTA GET THIS! Luckily,if I'm with other people they usually react with a,jesus tapdancing christ on a bike!,what do you want THAT for?? And I just laugh and realize the impulsiveness of it. Sometimes I still get it though,I LOVE cheap tat! Dollar stores,Big Lots,Five Below.....love those stores,lol!

J-R!

#30 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:34 AM

OMG!!!! Just saw the SeaQuest stuff!!!! NEAT! I know some of the figures were actually released,but was the SeaQuest herself ever released? I know it exists out there somewhere,just like the Mattel Battlestar Galactica from the 80's is out there too,lol! And SeaQuest was 25"? Holy moly! I NEED one of those,lol!

J-R!

#31 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:24 AM

Nope - pictures are as is - so the careless magazine must have flipped them - or playmates provided them that way.  Typical of them really :-)

I updated the post with a comparison so you can see just how different the Sisko figures are (hope the nice fella at Dork Dimension doesn't mind me swiping one of his pics!!)

Like you my Doctor Who collecting came to an abrupt end when they changed the scales, but bits and pieces of 5 inch figures continue to trickle out which is nice.

Yup - Seaquest figures were amazing - and ran concurrently with the various Star Trek lines at the time.  The figures are truly amazing and still hold up today.  I have a bunch of them displayed on the shelf.  I found em in the back room of my store - mint on card -  and decided to give them a good home!

Sadly, only the figures were released.

The initial line of characters omitted a couple of crewmembers (who were apparently planned for later waves) and the vehicles and the Seaquest herself never saw the light of day.

Robster...believe me when I tell you that I have dreams about holding that electronic Seaquest.  It exists somewhere in the world (at least one of them!).

I wonder what happens to all of these prototypes that don't get sold on the secondary market??

- Jim

#32 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

WOW! Huge difference there! Nice! Thanks Jim.

I still tend to get some of the 5 inch figs,and whatever jumps at me screaming BUYME!BUYME!,at Comic Con as UGT usually have a good con exclusive fig or three. This years Ace was.....ace! LOL!

I'm gonna get my hands on some of those Seaquest figs. And for some reason,only season 1 and 2 are on dvd,BUT JB HiFi in Australia......their version of Best Buy I guess,lol......also have season 3! Weird.

If you wanna see some of the toys in action,even Seaquest herself,here's a little vid. Skip to around 6.14,if you don't wanna see the DSN and Exo Squad stuff,lol! Oh the ships they were gonna do from Seaquest.....so sad it they were never officially released.

WAIT just one darn minute.....you have a store? Details PLEASE! lol.

John-Robin!

#33 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

JB-Hi-Fi is awesome over here - and if youre ever interested, I have spare copies of Seaquest Season 1 to 3 on DVD (they are region 4 DVDS).

Love the video dude - pretty sure I have seen an edited version of that at some point.  I love the Starfleet sales pitch - I reckon that buff guy in the starfleet uniform has taken something!  Breaks my heart to see the unreleased Galor class Cardassian ship though!  Wonder whatever became of that prototype!

Alas, the store is not mine, but I do work there!  Its called Just Collectables.  You can like us on Facebook and see daily updates on things that I pick out of the storeroom to highlight!

https://www.facebook...ustCollectables

- Jim

#34 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:49 AM

I want that Seaquest prototype,lol! And all the other SQ ships too. Wonder what became of THOSE! Time to do some research! TO THE TIME MACHINE! Errhh....Tardis? DeLorean? Time Machine? Hot Tub? LOL! Guess I have to settle for.....The Internet!!!!! Hmmmm,was that ever a movie? It should be! lol!

Ok,focusing for two minutes here. Will certainly check out the store you work at. And who knows when I'll pop by Oz,not been there yet so it's about time,and now at least I know a store I can check out. LOL!

I'll get back to ya on the SQ dvd thing,DEFO interested!

Btw,I've been wondering,your little avatar thingie....where's it from? Tv show? Movie? You? Just curious 'cos I like it.

J-R!

#35 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:28 AM

I fear the sad truth is that many of these prototypes are languishing in desk drawers somewhere.  I remember reading somewhere that some of the DST figure prototypes got given to staff members.  I could have dreamed this.  DST Zach - if you're about - let me know dude :-)

Working at the store has its perks - I get to go to conventions for free and buy action figures at wholesale prices :-)

And yes, it is me in the photo.  One of my friends was/is a budding photographer, so it was taken by her.  I do not much like having my picture taken, and this one was the first one I could grab when setting up my Trektoy account, lol!

And if I must pick a time machine, it would be a the Tardis, but only the 10th Doctors version.  He's recently changed the desktop theme.  I don't like it.

- Jim

#36 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

LOL! Funny!

Well it's a very nice pic. Very......there's something about it that reminds me of something every time I see it. Hmmmm.

Lucky you! Sounds like a fun job!

Anyways,I'm still gonna try and find some info about where the Playmates prototypes go. SOMEbody must have some of them.

There's a show called FanAddicts and a guy there collected Trek stuff but he collects the screw ups. Flashback Janeway on a regular Janeway card,wrong pog with a figure,wrong name on the card and so on. Kinda funny.

And watching Toy Hunter is fun 'cos I get to see stuff I had as a kid,and he sometimes comes across prototypes and toys that people who worked at the various toy companies took with them home. Fun show....for that.

J-R!

#37 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

I'd take the Delorean. And the Hot Tub with Jessica Paré in it...

#38 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

LOL! I'll take the DeLorean as well....and Hot Tub with Lea Thompson in it. And Phoebe Cates. lol! Then,after we've had some fun,I'd put them all in the Tardis and go and have some MORE fun!

Now then,where on EARTH do I start with this.....quest.....for prototype info,lol!

J-R!

#39 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

Glad you like the pic dude - if memory serves, it was shot in a carpark, or some other depressing abandoned urban space :-)

Good luck on your quest man - a lot of the Star Trek stuff I have been uncovering is 'pre-internet'.  At the time, I was probably still coming to grips with my Encarta 97!

Maybe you could start with trying to look up some of the playmates staff members mentioned in the magazine articles?  I know the Star Trek product manager at one time was Chris Overley.  He gave some interviews in the late 90s I can remember, and I'm sure I've seen a poorly scanned copy somewhere on the web.

Here he is on Linkedin.  Kinda stalkerish - but maybe if you contact him he could answer some questions.

http://www.linkedin....rley/24/bb8/602

There's also Ron McPherson, who did some of the Playmates artwork.  I sent him an e-mail a while back saying how much I appreciated his work.  He sent me a short note back and seemed pretty friendly.  Maybe he would know.

http://www.behance.n...ckaging/3031531

I have this strange fantasy of some kind of playmates 'museum' in Honk Kong where all the prototypes are kept!

Phoebe Cates?  Really?

She was an integral part of my childhood via Drop Dead Fred!

- Jim

#40 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

Hey! Thanks for the info dude! I also have someone at Playmates that MIGHT be able to help. We'll see. And I might even ask that Toy Hunter guy. I've met him several times,he wanted me to be on the show when they went to the UK a month ago but it didn't work out schedule wise. lol!

It was Fast Times at Ridgemont High for me,lol! And Gremlins.

J-R!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users