#1 BlueArrow

BlueArrow

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:39 PM

TrekMovie has all of the details on this story:

http://trekmovie.com...ys-put-on-hold/

Sad news for all of us... Hopefully DST will continue to produce great products despite this bad news.

#2 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:49 PM

I wondered how long it would be before we ever heard anything from Playmates. I sent a letter to them weeks ago and expected a reply from Paula Billingsley, but never got one. Hopefully these will still be produced, but who knows. I may have to go and buy some to customize since it doesnt seem like we are getting a Duty Uniform McCoy or Chekov any time soon. Anyone here know how easy it is to customize(headswap) these figures? I dont want to break them. Are they boil and pop friendly?

#3 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, this news sucks. I posted a link in the 3 3/4" section, but this looks like a better spot for us all to rant! PPPPLLLLLAAAAYYYYMMMAAAATTTEESSSS!!!!!!!!

#4 BlueArrow

BlueArrow

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (BlueArrow @ Nov 25 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TrekMovie has all of the details on this story:

http://trekmovie.com...ys-put-on-hold/

Sad news for all of us... Hopefully DST will continue to produce great products despite this bad news.

I did a McCoy from an extra Spock. Just pop the head off and you're good to go. TrekMovie's story indicated they'll still get the extra bridge parts out though.

#5 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (BlueArrow @ Nov 25 2009, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did a McCoy from an extra Spock. Just pop the head off and you're good to go. TrekMovie's story indicated they'll still get the extra bridge parts out though.

So the heads just pop off without heating them up in water or anything? I would hate to break a figure just to find that out the hard way. If you exchange the heads between cadet McCoy and Spock, you would have cadet Spock. Spock wore an insstructor uniform in the movie, but a cadet Spock would still be a neat variant to have.

#6 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:10 PM

Maybe someone at Playmates will have the intelligence to include duty uniform McCoy and Checkov with the remaining bridge parts. Just do another box set with the remaining peices and include those two figures, and I'd at least feel like I wasn't screwed over. Hell, I'd buy four of those sets alone. They could even offer it as a newforce exclusive. Just let me know where I need to make the preorder!

#7 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:19 AM

I really was expecting this, I think it is due to the new movie, while it was a blockbuster success I haven't seen too much of an increase in interest in the franchise.

#8 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:44 AM

Man....This stinks !!!

#9 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

Glad I didn't start this line. I see some wizard of smart didn't release all the characters in the regular duty uniforms, i.e AA and Enterprise. And I saw the movie once wasn't Chekov never in cadet gear?

#10 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

I've seen the movie four times now, Once in the theater , and three times at home , and I've only seen Chekov in his bridge uniform, he may be in the crowd during the Kobyashi Maru Hearing but I haven't taken the time to pause the movie and scan every face in the crowd though . Welp , until we get these figures I gues we'll have to customise our own .

#11 jimbeammeup

jimbeammeup

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Nov 25 2009, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So the heads just pop off without heating them up in water or anything? I would hate to break a figure just to find that out the hard way. If you exchange the heads between cadet McCoy and Spock, you would have cadet Spock. Spock wore an insstructor uniform in the movie, but a cadet Spock would still be a neat variant to have.

I didn't need to heat the figures up to swap the heads on my figures. You can stick them in hot water for 30 seconds if you like though. I heated them the first time to loosen the tight leg joints on a couple figures and swapped the heads while they were still hot. But I've also been able to swap the heads at room temperature.

I'd rather see off-duty Kirk (black shirt) bundled with the rest of the bridge pieces since that's what he wore for most of the film. McCoy and Chekov would be nice but you can at least make them yourselves easily, unlike off-duty Kirk.

#12 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:38 AM

I will look again but i dont think Chekov has any braid on his sleeves, so a custom Chekov using a Sulu wont be completely accurate, but closer than we have now. I dont remember seeing Chekov as a cadet either. Guess i am going to try to score some really cheap 3.75" and 6" figures this weekend to do some customizing with.

#13 jimbeammeup

jimbeammeup

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Nov 26 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will look again but i dont think Chekov has any braid on his sleeves, so a custom Chekov using a Sulu wont be completely accurate, but closer than we have now. I dont remember seeing Chekov as a cadet either. Guess i am going to try to score some really cheap 3.75" and 6" figures this weekend to do some customizing with.

You might be able to use nail polish remover to take the sleeve braids off Chekov. I haven't tried it on Trek figures but it's worked on other figures in the past.

#14 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:17 PM

^^ That is a very good tip with the nail polish remover! It has worked well for me in the past! as for the off duty uniform Kirk , i suppose a coat of black paint will do on the 3 3/4 inch , the 6 inch has the textured shirt , so that might not look very good .

#15 Kyle_C_Haight

Kyle_C_Haight

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (Commodore Kor'Tar @ Nov 26 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've seen the movie four times now, Once in the theater , and three times at home , and I've only seen Chekov in his bridge uniform, he may be in the crowd during the Kobyashi Maru Hearing but I haven't taken the time to pause the movie and scan every face in the crowd though . Welp , until we get these figures I gues we'll have to customise our own .

Chekov (and Sulu) are both seen in cadet uniforms when Kirk is promoted to captain at the end of the film; they're standing next to Dr. McCoy.

As far as this cancellation news goes, well...

Kirk: Well, that's just...lovely!
Spock: But, not entirely unexpected.

(The Trouble With Tribbles)

#16 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:21 PM

I doubt very much this is the end for Playmates - DST and PM are still as far as we all know, teaming up so i wanna see what we see at TF in 2010 because it could be that they are still set to join forces and produce new figures and ships - but who knows :S

#17 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Kyle_C_Haight @ Nov 26 2009, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chekov (and Sulu) are both seen in cadet uniforms when Kirk is promoted to captain at the end of the film; they're standing next to Dr. McCoy.

As far as this cancellation news goes, well...

Kirk: Well, that's just...lovely!
Spock: But, not entirely unexpected.

(The Trouble With Tribbles)

Hey all,

Here's proof:-

Take care,
Matty-lad

#18 pawpal

pawpal

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:56 PM

I'm not surprised the line was canceled. It's just one of the many sub-par movie lines toy companies try to push these days. The figures (all sizes) have very weak sculpts and were very cheaply made. Additionally the chrome Phasers and Tricorders I bought had factory workers fingerprints all over them inside the package. Everything looks made for the cheapest dollar with absolute disregard to quality. I bought a lot of it but in the end sold everything off and kept just the Enterprise.

#19 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:17 AM

Well then I guess that means I will be moving all the Second wave PM stuff to the Unreleased catagory on the NFC Page soon.

#20 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

Sadly I'm not surprised by this at all. When the toys were going on the sales racks of Target I knew that the line had not performed as well as expected. Of course I think the economy has a lot to do with it too. I know I for one have not purchased Trek toys in a VERY long time (much as it pains me to admit that). Being unemployed...well, other things have to be paid before "me". sad.gif

QUOTE (s8film40 @ Nov 26 2009, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really was expecting this, I think it is due to the new movie, while it was a blockbuster success I haven't seen too much of an increase in interest in the franchise.

I'd have to agree. But this is why I was afraid for a successful movie. I don't want to downgrade the quality of the movie or the enjoyment most of us got from watching it (it WAS a good movie)...but it was a flash-in-the-pan type of movie in terms of the franchise. It didn't add anything to the existing franchise except maybe to rekindle some nostalgia in TOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users