52 replies to this topic

#41 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (sallah @ Oct 19 2009, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just came here to post this! If this turns out to be the way things go... this line will be a dream come true for me!

Sallah

This could be the beginning of something big !!!!

#42 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:18 AM

Actually, If DST is able to "Sub-let" the Trek license and get Playmates to pay them for sculpting, and Playmates does all the production and distribution, it's probably a great deal for DST/AA and, as others have pointed out, it takes AA back to it roots as a design house.

The devil, as they say, will be in the details! DST/AA can sculpt and design a great figure, but if playmates doesn't execute the paint apps and ops correctly or decides to skimp on articulation to cut costs, then many of us (the same ones that passed on the movie stuff) will pass on this line too.

#43 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:11 AM

Chuck pretty much all but said they are involved in this. This is a huge move IMO and I think its going to lead to a lot of good for everyone especially us!

#44 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Oct 20 2009, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, If DST is able to "Sub-let" the Trek license and get Playmates to pay them for sculpting, and Playmates does all the production and distribution, it's probably a great deal for DST/AA and, as others have pointed out, it takes AA back to it roots as a design house.

The devil, as they say, will be in the details! DST/AA can sculpt and design a great figure, but if playmates doesn't execute the paint apps and ops correctly or decides to skimp on articulation to cut costs, then many of us (the same ones that passed on the movie stuff) will pass on this line too.

That is very very true. Playmates was as notorious as Hasbro once was for cutting articulation. They are still pretty equal in cutting corners but I think Playmates has them beat. So DST could end up making really awesome figures and Playmates could come in and knock out a lot of it.

However we'll have to wait and see since we haven't even seen any pictures yet.

#45 Smells like Vulcans N Here

Smells like Vulcans N Here

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:59 PM

Don't want to be overly pessemisitic here, but do you guys really think we'll get the classic trek stuff from Playmates next year? Have to say that I'm doubtful b/c of the way things are going with the movie product. Does anyone know if the license will include the classic movies as well? I'd love to have 3 3/4 playsets from TWOK, ST III, and IV.

#46 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (Smells like Vulcans N Here @ Nov 2 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't want to be overly pessemisitic here, but do you guys really think we'll get the classic trek stuff from Playmates next year? Have to say that I'm doubtful b/c of the way things are going with the movie product. Does anyone know if the license will include the classic movies as well? I'd love to have 3 3/4 playsets from TWOK, ST III, and IV.

I think all we have are rumors at this point. I know it's a ways off, but I think we will have to wait until Toy Fair in Feb to find out if this line has any future. Personally, I'm not that optimistic about playmates future, but there are a number of people here that are, so I try not to be pessimistic, but I still have to be realistic. Realistically, I'm not that optimistic about DST or Playmates right now sad.gif

#47 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

I think Playmates will treat the TOS line separately from the movie line and think of this as a second chance at retail of sorts and the first wave will be the test to see if the line can survive in mass retail. I don't think we will see the classic movies done unless the TOS line is a success. The first wave is sure to be a testbed wave and be comprised solely of the more well known and popular characters from the original series in their well-known original series attire.

I too am being realistic and pessimistic. I don't think Trek has the selling power at this point in time to survive in mass market retail. Specialty market, yes, but I don't think it is in a state to play in the big leagues. I'd love to be wrong because I'd love to see DS9 figures eventually, but Trek has had several chances over the last couple of years and have just barely squeaked through in the specialty market much less something larger. Top that with the fact that DST is slow, despite doing good work, and Playmates' movie line was quite disappointing in so many regards compared to other toy lines and ended up tanking at retail and things don't exactly look bright. Maybe together they will get it right by correcting the flaws of the other, but they could easily inherit the flaws of both as well and bring the line down.

#48 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

Star Trek really needs something with kid appeal. Something like Star Wars: The Clone Wars cartoon. Even Hasbro is having problems with their collector oriented figures, while Clone Wars figures are flying off the shelves. Without a presence on TV or in video games Star Trek hasn't got a chance. Movies are soon forgotten after their release and from the look of things the next Trek flick won't be out til 2012.

#49 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:49 PM

I agree. I think a Trek Franchise revival is not real and complete w/o some type of media on the small screen. Sadly, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

#50 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:20 PM

I still think that some cross marketing, like Star Trek figures and a Movie display pared up together would create more sales than they got so far. Most people that are not collectors dont even know the toyline exists the way walmart almost intentionally hid it from view, at least in the stores in my area. I get the feeling that Walmart has something against Star Trek, because the Walmart i frequent seems to try not to have anything with a Star Trek theme to it at all, and if it does, they do a good job of trying to hide it away from view. Maybe this is just a conspiracy theory, i dont know. I have seen so many crappy lines that dont seem to sell at all get the best, most spacious spots while Star Trek gets stuck in the "hind end of space" of the toy section.

#51 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:26 AM

VF, there's no doubt that the Wally's in the area we frequent just don't get and stock allot of toys that appeal to collectors. Star Wars is the only thing that really seems to get a decent treatment.

I've been in some Wally's in Raleigh, and the new one up in Jacksonville, and while none are really pushing the Trek stuff now, the toy sections in general are better served.

I've just come to the conclusion that Wilmington NC, in general, gets the short straw on product, and thus we get the short straw from just about every big box store... The TRU here rarely gets anything good that I know of, and I can't remember the last time I actually found something at the Target here. sad.gif

#52 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Nov 2 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still think that some cross marketing, like Star Trek figures and a Movie display pared up together would create more sales than they got so far. Most people that are not collectors dont even know the toyline exists the way walmart almost intentionally hid it from view, at least in the stores in my area. I get the feeling that Walmart has something against Star Trek, because the Walmart i frequent seems to try not to have anything with a Star Trek theme to it at all, and if it does, they do a good job of trying to hide it away from view. Maybe this is just a conspiracy theory, i dont know. I have seen so many crappy lines that dont seem to sell at all get the best, most spacious spots while Star Trek gets stuck in the "hind end of space" of the toy section.

Most of the WM's around here did the same thing. The figures were stuck on an end cap several aisles over from the the action figure aisle. I almost missed it. A couple actually put them on the action figure aisle but only gave them one row mixed in with everything else.

#53 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:47 PM

I found that Wal Mart, even at the height of TNG's popularity in the 90's, didn't really go out of their way to push Playmate's Star Trek figures. Star Trek is too free thinking for the "Wal Mart Collective"! biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users