• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:40 PM

My apologies if this was posted elsewhere on this forum.

PLAYMATES TOYS LAUNCHES THRILLING NEW TOY EXPERIENCES AT TOY FAIR 2009

COSTA MESA, CA (October 5, 2009) - At the 2009 Dallas Toy Fair, Playmates Toys Inc., a leader in creating imaginative and innovative toy experiences and sustaining evergreens, will launch many thrilling new additions to their established properties, in support of highly successful entertainment brands and toward the debut of several new branded toy lines.

STAR TREK

#2 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:00 PM

WOO HOO!!!!! That is awesome news! Can't wait to see them!!!!

Sallah

#3 thecapn

thecapn

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:14 PM

I wonder what this means for the DST line...

But still, I'm excited....hope we see a classic bridge!!!

#4 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (thecapn @ Oct 5 2009, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder what this means for the DST line...

I was just thinking the same thing...

Sallah

#5 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

We talked about this some months back, DST is marketed to the collector where as the playmates line is marketed to kids and collectors, so i think there is room for two liscensees to produce TOS figures. Glad to hear it, wonder if Walmart will carry them.

#6 jimbeammeup

jimbeammeup

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Oct 5 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We talked about this some months back, DST is marketed to the collector where as the playmates line is marketed to kids and collectors, so i think there is room for two liscensees to produce TOS figures. Glad to hear it, wonder if Walmart will carry them.

Great news! I hope these do well enough to warrant a small vehicle or two, perhaps an Enterprise shuttle (TOS or new movie) and Spock's ship from the new movie? Maybe they'll get the TNG license at some point too.

#7 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:45 PM

Awesome news.

And hopefully if TOS performs well, they will move on to TNG!!

#8 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:52 PM

Well there ya go...for all the people that wanted DST to do trek in 3.75" Scale Playmates will pick it up. Now DST can still focus on the 7" scale instead of trying to change formats to the crappy 3.75" figures. I for one am REALLY happy that Playmates is doing them because if DST switched over to that scale I would stop buying figures from them all together.

#9 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (BadBunnyMike @ Oct 5 2009, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well there ya go...for all the people that wanted DST to do trek in 3.75" Scale Playmates will pick it up. Now DST can still focus on the 7" scale instead of trying to change formats to the crappy 3.75" figures. I for one am REALLY happy that Playmates is doing them because if DST switched over to that scale I would stop buying figures from them all together.

I'm just holding out with DST for hopefully wave 5, the Romulans and the Salt Vampire. This just seems to be another bump in that not happening.

#10 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

Very good news indeed 3&3/4" is a great scale to collect . I can't wait to see them.

#11 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:39 PM

Yes! There's also going to be a U.S.S. Kelvin to add to our fleet! Now I'm gonna have to shop for more shelf space! LOL

#12 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:54 PM

Mini ships meaning I don't think they are the same scale as the rest of the Playmates ships, so I don't think a Kelvin is gonna be full size.

#13 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:51 PM

You know, from what it sounds like, Playmates is going back to two of their 90's line features, Innerspace and the 3.75 figure diorama two packs. I believe the mini ships and minifigures sets they had back then was called Innerspace sets, if im not mistaken. There was a number of different sets from TOS and TNG. The dorama sets from the 90's included "Amok time", "Tholian web", Balok and puppet from "Corbomite maneuver" and several TNG sets. I really would like to see some TOS movie diorama two packs this time.

#14 Smitty

Smitty

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

So sometime next year I wager.

I dunno Wal-Mart carrying Star Trek, maybe yes maybe no. A few did not carry the new movie line. Figs and Enterprise yeah but no accessories ie phaser, comm, tric bridge trnsprtr etc.

-cs

#15 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:44 AM

I imagine the new mini-figure line will be similar to the Star Wars Unleashed and Halo Wars lines.

#16 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:55 AM

I'm certainly interested to see what Playmates has in mind! I'm not on the buying-bus yet, but very interested...

And as others have alluded to, I'm guessing this puts the nail in the 3 3/4 DST coffin. Can't wait for the next Q&A since I'm sure it'll be brought up to see their thoughts.

#17 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE (knightone @ Oct 6 2009, 04:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I imagine the new mini-figure line will be similar to the Star Wars Unleashed and Halo Wars lines.

Probably.

I know one similarity for certain. I won't be buying any figures from that line either.

#18 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:05 AM

The thing that's sticking out to me is them saying the mini-figures are 'animated style'. Could these be like those Star Wars Galactic Hero 2 packs? If so...I'm all over those for me and my boys.

Sallah

#19 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:21 AM

All I know for sure is that it all sounds like good news for Star Trek. While some may not like certain styles or sizes it sounds like PM is at least trying to make something for just about everyone. I for one cant wait to see some of these figures and ships and what else they may be doing in the future.

#20 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:26 AM

I wonder if the mini ships they are talking about are die cast metal? I asked them to make some and maybe they are. Mooore die cast ships. Mooore!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users