Photo

MWC's Toys Review of the New 3 3/4 figures...

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

Trek Movie has a good review of the smaller toys up:

http://trekmovie.com...comment-1722746

#22 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

I just read that and was going to post it here but ya beat me to it!

#23 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

I'm surprised at the reaction, I thought Crawford's review was actually pretty kind to the figures. In regards to his differing scores between various figures, they're obviously open to differing opinions. He bases scores off of factual bits such as paint application and whatnot, but such an analytical look at a figure doesn't apply to everybody. You aren't required to agree.

QUOTE (New Frontier @ Apr 13 2009, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the pics he presented to show scale between SW and ST are pretty bad - since a storm trooper is always going to be a little bigger, had he displayed it with the Luke sky walker figure or human figures from SW then the scale would have been fine

Not really, no. I have the Clonetrooper depicted and it's not a very tall figure, Hasbro is horrible at taking body and armor thickness into account when sculpting whole-armored figures so you never really get Clones or Stormtroopers taller than the human figures. Unless they toss scale out the window, which is also common. You can have a Leia the size of a midget, or one as tall as a Han.

QUOTE (sallah @ Apr 13 2009, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just not getting some of the bashing on some of these reviews...I love these figures! I mean, check out Scotty in action!

I really don't see anything wrong in his sculpt or his proportions....maybe I'm just blind...

In my opinion, there are alot of things wrong with the Scotty figure in those pictures. And, I find the sculpting on Geordi to be far superior. But, I don't find you "blind" for enjoying them, it's simply just differing tastes.

#24 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

I just picked up a 3 3/4" Pike and Sulu. I have to say the thing that impresses me the most is the value of these. They are priced a little below most other 3 3/4" figures and seem to offer much more. These are essentially the equivalent to a 3 3/4" version of the deluxe type figures made for enterprise, you get the figure the accessories and a work station and all for less than $7. I could certainly see buying at least a couple of these every week or so if Playmates keeps them coming.

#25 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

The more i read about and see these figures, the more i like them. I think Crawfords review was a little harsh. I agree that paint apps is a problem with some of these figures, but i wonder how many lines have the same problem? I dont see anything wrong with the body proportions, they look fine to me. When Walmart here gets the figures in i may have to go all out and get them all. TRU has most, but no Uhura's or Neros that i can find. I looked at the Bridge and Transporter again today, think i will have to get those eventually.

#26 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:02 AM

I find Crawford tends to be far kinder to figures then I would be. However I have to say I felt he was pretty accurate to how I was feeling before I even read his review. I do think that the face sculpts on some of them are pretty good though. Spock looks like Quinto and McCoy looks like Urban. I think whatever the girls name is that is playing Uhura is pretty dead on as well. I think that the Pike figure looks more like Kirk than Pine but I think Greenwood looks more like Kirk than Pine does anyway. If they are going to go through all of the trouble of the soft rubber shirts why just give them a torso cut and not an ab crunch? That doesn't make any sense.

However some people will like them and some won't. It will be interesting to see what happens once the movie hits.

#27 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:28 AM

I thought the soft rubber shirts was something people really didn't like about the original AA 6" TOS figures?

What are peoples thoughts about them on these?

#28 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

I see the DST figures and the playmates figures as different when it comes to the rubber shirts on the 6" figures. The DST figures i see as collectors figures that mainly stay posed on a shelf somewhere, and i would rather see molded shirts on them. The Playmates figures i see as collectorsfigures/toys, which may spend a lot of time on a shelf, but may also spend time being played with and placed in playsets such as the bridge, transporter rooms or in shuttlecrafts,etc, which require a lot of bending/posing, and the rubber shirts seem to help in that area of posability. One of the things that set the 8" mego lines apart from all of the rest of action figure lines was the posability and versatality of the figures with changing outfits and playsets. These new Star Trek figures cant change outfits (maybe the 12" can) but the posabilty seems to be a bit better than the DST figures.

#29 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

Thanks VF.

See to me they are all toys. I base the value on the total package with respect to the cost.

I saw all of these today. TRU and Wal-Marts here have them all. Only a couple were picked out from TRU, but nothing was touched at Wal-Mart.

After seeing all three scales, the Sculpt and Paint Apps definitely look better to me as the scale gets larger.

3 3/4 were 6.99 @TRU & $6.47@ Wallys
6" were 9.99 @TRU & 8.47 @ Wallys
12" Were only @TRU 4 $29.99, but I think we can assume Wallys will be about $2 cheaper!

I don't think the 12" are 3x better then the 6", so (IMO) the 12" are not a better value then the 6"

Then the question becomes are the 6" that much better for the extra $2?

I think the answer is "Maybe"

If you only care about the character figure (and your not interested in the Bridge playset bits...) I think the answer is yes.

If you want to build the bridge bits and collect them all, then the 3 3/4 are probably a better value.

I don't find the 3 3/4 to be a value, as I don't want to collect them all, so the 3 3/4 line is out for me on three counts, sculpt, paint, and price.

The 6"... I picked up a Spock to check out, and if I like him, I may get the basic crew in Uniform, but not the cadet uniform.

Still very very very dissapointed with the role play. I'd rather they put more effort into it and they had a high price point.

#30 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Apr 14 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then the question becomes are the 6" that much better for the extra $2?

I think the answer is "Maybe"

If you only care about the character figure (and your not interested in the Bridge playset bits...) I think the answer is yes.
That is my situation precisely. I had to make a choice back when I was preordering, whether to get the 3.75" or the 6". First, I looked at the pictures available then, and decided the 6" looked more accurate and I liked the deltas on the shirts. Then, I considered the likelihood that I would want to buy the playsets. I decided it was not very likely. So I went for the 6". I may end up regretting that if the movie contains lots of cool characters yet to be seen that end up being made into toys only in the 3.75" scale.

The reason I was not interested in the playsets? To me, they look incredibly cheap and you don't get much for your money. The consoles lack detail; the use of stickers is a bummer. So is the use of a floor mat. I completely understand why they are made this way, and I agree it is appropriate for a toy targeting children. But for what you get with the bridge, $30 just is not worth it. And I wouldn't want to have to open up every single 3.75" figure just to be able to complete one.

#31 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

Does it take 15 figures to build the bridge set?

#32 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Apr 14 2009, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does it take 15 figures to build the bridge set?

According to this image, I believe it takes 18:

#33 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:50 PM

Gothneo, that's a very sensible way of breaking it down. I really want the Bridge and Transporter (I love playsets when I can get them and they aren't too huge) so the 3.75'' were a shoe-in for me. But if you're not concerned with the Bridge pieces then I'd say 6'' is the way to go. The only thing I'd caution there is that there's bound to be less variety to the 6'' figures. I think if the line is successful and we start seeing more background characters and stuff they're going to be more likely in the smaller scale.

I had decided to collect ONE more scale besides. It was going to be the 12'' figures which look great to me... but $30 is so much. I realize it's pretty competitively priced these days but I considered that I could get 4 6'' figures for the same price and my mind was made up. I think for the collector the 6'' figures will please you. I don't have any experience with the AA TOS figures and their plastic shirt, but I like what Playmates has done.

Now, I do wonder how it'll hold up long-term. It's a little tacky and I can see dust sticking to it. My Pike had some stuff sticking to it in the package.

As for the bridge pieces, it'll be interesting to see what they do in the future waves. We have 11 more Bridge pieces and 1 more Transporter piece we need. So will wave 2 have 12 unique figures (it seems that these are coming 12 a case from what I've heard) or will they split them up between two waves? And what of waves after that (if there are any?) Will they add more to the Bridge or start something else? I'd be all for adding walls to the Bridge.

#34 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:19 PM

I saw all of these in Wal-mart yesterday. I didn't pick any of them up as I have them on order from Newforce. Have to say, I love them a lot.

Yes, some of the sculpts are soft, but not any softer than some of the Star Wars figures I've seen. I was a little disappointed in the bridge pieces though. They looked tacky with their decals.

#35 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

So are the 18 pieces randomly put into each package or does each unique figure come with a particular piece, every time I have managed to find these they have been sold out of all but just a few so I have not been able to see if different pieces come with the same figure.

#36 thecapn

thecapn

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (s8film40 @ Apr 14 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So are the 18 pieces randomly put into each package or does each unique figure come with a particular piece, every time I have managed to find these they have been sold out of all but just a few so I have not been able to see if different pieces come with the same figure.

It's not random. Each figure comes with a particular piece.

#37 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

Yeah, I'm not one to rail against something that others like. I buy what I like and if I don't like it I move on!

I got the two Spocks in 6"

1st off, these are nicely proportioned in the 6" scale. If I put them up to some HML, they are right in scale.

I like the Boot cut POA and Shoulder POA. The rest, not a fan of. Never been a fan of what people call the "Elbro" (Hasbro style Elbow with pin and socket) on the larger scale. I just prefer the Shoulder cut.

Like wise they need a thigh cut. This was something that DST took away (along with the Shoulder pin and hinge) and I've never been happy about it.

Finally the knee joint just comes off wrong to me on a number of levels.

Also (ooops I lied... final finaly!) an ankle POA would have been nice.

I don't think I'll be getting more of these unless I see them on clearance.

Here's hoping the movie is a huge success and Hot Toys makes some 1/6 scale movie masters of Kirk & Spock... I'll wait, save and hope that I can plunk my money down on some higher end collectibles.

#38 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (slayerone76 @ Apr 14 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was a little disappointed in the bridge pieces though. They looked tacky with their decals.

Well, I will cut them some slack in this department. They are basically free accessories that com with the figures, which are already cheaper than other figures in the same scale. The only other alternative would have been to charge more for the figures and having to pay $9-$10 for a 3 3/4" figure might have turned a lot of people off.

#39 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:12 PM

the decals are better than the cardboard pieces that used to come with plaset pieces. I think the 5" DS9 figures had the cardboard. I also think scuplted details with limited paint jobs would have looked bad to. I cant think of any other option besides the decals?

#40 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (JonWes @ Apr 14 2009, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gothneo, that's a very sensible way of breaking it down. I really want the Bridge and Transporter (I love playsets when I can get them and they aren't too huge) so the 3.75'' were a shoe-in for me. But if you're not concerned with the Bridge pieces then I'd say 6'' is the way to go. The only thing I'd caution there is that there's bound to be less variety to the 6'' figures. I think if the line is successful and we start seeing more background characters and stuff they're going to be more likely in the smaller scale.

I had decided to collect ONE more scale besides. It was going to be the 12'' figures which look great to me... but $30 is so much. I realize it's pretty competitively priced these days but I considered that I could get 4 6'' figures for the same price and my mind was made up. I think for the collector the 6'' figures will please you. I don't have any experience with the AA TOS figures and their plastic shirt, but I like what Playmates has done.

Now, I do wonder how it'll hold up long-term. It's a little tacky and I can see dust sticking to it. My Pike had some stuff sticking to it in the package.

As for the bridge pieces, it'll be interesting to see what they do in the future waves. We have 11 more Bridge pieces and 1 more Transporter piece we need. So will wave 2 have 12 unique figures (it seems that these are coming 12 a case from what I've heard) or will they split them up between two waves? And what of waves after that (if there are any?) Will they add more to the Bridge or start something else? I'd be all for adding walls to the Bridge.

Hey all,

I remember reading somewhere that they are planning on making the drilling station and possibly a shuttlecraft so maybe they'll start on bits for these afterwards.

Take care,
Matty-lad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users