• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Pauln6

Pauln6

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:51 AM

Have you seen this set - the basic bridge is augmented by equipment and furniture in the figure sets. Neat idea I thought. Shame it's too small scale for our DST figures.

#2 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

I think this thread belongs in this section.

#3 Pauln6

Pauln6

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:04 AM

Lordy no - I don't want to buy Playmates stuff. I was just musing that it's just a shame that DST didn't cotton on to the notion of the basic bridge plus extras in a wave of figures. I think it's a good idea.

#4 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:34 AM

They sort of did that with the DX figures. While you got parts, the bridge itself would not have been there.

#5 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:05 AM

I dunno, i can remember Crom from the old AA boards suggesting that they would have done the entire Enterprise bridge had sales been great and Enterprise been a runaway success.

I remember the talk of a view screen, Hoshi's place and Tuckers too, with the addition of wall pieces and a turbo lift with Phlox.

Would have been cool if they'd done the situation table at the back of the captain's chair too. would have been huge!

#6 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

It's too bad Enterprise flopped. If they had started out with TOS bridge pieces, I wonder if it would have been successful enough to garner a full bridge. The captain's chair series appears to have done well for DST, considering they are still releasing them. Perhaps they coould try an experiment by releasing a Sulu with helm station and a Checkov with navigation station that lock together. Maybe also include a couple of floor pieces with them as well with a place where Kirk's captain's chair can sit on. That would at least give us the central section of the bridge and let DST guage how successful additional stations can be. If it works, then you can have Spock, McCoy, Uhura, and Scotty with a quarter section of the bridge with each. All with the new sculpted torsos, preferably.

For TNG, they can have Riker, Troi, and Worf with the center horseshoe and chairs. Maybe even the ramps around the horseshoe as well.

For DS9, they can give us Dax with conn station, also with a section of floor for Sisko's chair.

#7 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

I love the new bridge, it looks pretty good.
But, I don't really fancy the idea of being forced to buy every figure, just to complete the !@#$ thing! lol
But...then again, I guess I would probably be buying them all anyway...but the thing i want to know will we have to buy another kirk and scotty who already come with the playsets?

#8 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:26 AM

Playmates said that the regular Kirk and Scotty would be replaced with variants after the first shipments. I beleive the bridge and transporter pieces will remain the same, just with variant figures.

#9 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Mar 28 2009, 01:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Playmates said that the regular Kirk and Scotty would be replaced with variants after the first shipments. I beleive the bridge and transporter pieces will remain the same, just with variant figures.

My understanding was that the figures that would be swapped out would be with the Bridge and Transporter sets. I think yellow shirt Kirk will be swapped out with black shirt Kirk on the Bridge set and Ice Gear Scotty will be included with the Transporter. I think the Enterprise outfits will continue to be single carded, which makes sense as those will undoubtedly be the more popular versions of the characters so they'd want to keep those easy to get on a single card.

#10 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

That is what I heard as well =)

For a new guy you seem pretty on top of this stuff Jon!

#11 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

LOL - thanks. I've been around enough to hear some scuttlebutt on multiple other boards. It does make me wish Playmates had more of a direct contact with customers. But not every company can do that I guess. I'm definitely waiting myself to get the Bridge and Transporter for the other figures.

#12 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:15 PM

Crap. That means I'll have to get two bridge sets.

#13 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

I Hope they release ice planet Scotty and black uniform Kirk separately - I don't want the Playsets.

#14 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (New Frontier @ Apr 5 2009, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I Hope they release ice planet Scotty and black uniform Kirk separately - I don't want the Playsets.

My thinking is that they might see the light of day eventually on their own card. Maybe not in the first two waves... maybe when they are including something other than bridge/transporter parts since after a couple waves we should have all those pieces and the whole point of subbing out the figures is that they don't want you to have to buy the same figure twice to get the playset and the bridge piece. Which brings me to a question I keep wondering about (and actually e-mailed Playmates customer service about - it's been a week and I haven't got a response) and the question is this: I've seen it said that the figures come with a "random" Bridge or Transporter piece.

Can that be right? I had assumed that certain pieces come with certain figures. Because if not and it's all random... that could get messy. But just how they'd achieve that practically seems a little more mysterious to me.

#15 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:22 AM

Each figure comes with a specific piece....it isn't going to be totally random.

#16 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE (BadBunnyMike @ Apr 6 2009, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Each figure comes with a specific piece....it isn't going to be totally random.

That's good to hear. I mean, that's been the general assumption and it does make the most sense. I just wonder why the official site and various sites quoting press releases say random. I almost didn't pre-order because I wasn't sure if I'd get different pieces with each figure. But people keep assuring me that it doesn't make sense even from a practical standpoint for them to be random so I just decided to go with that in the end anyway. smile.gif

#17 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:49 AM

If they do indeed switch out the figures after initial shipments, I'll be pretty disappointed in Playmates. That's basically penalizing people who support the line early on... I preordered everything through my comic shop, including the Bridge and Transporter. I'll be pretty miffed if I have to buy them again after that just to get the other figures that should have come with them in the first place!

Sallah

#18 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

It's a no-win situation for them. They're trying to help people not have to buy the same figure twice but, as you say, it doesn't help the people who will get the first shipments.

#19 DrNate

DrNate

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:03 PM

Quick question, not sure if anyone here can answer but I thought I should try:

How big is the brige playset? How much table space do I need to set it up?

Thanks and Take Care,
Nathan

#20 billytrek

billytrek

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

Well, it's a big oval. It's not like super huge or anything. I'll take measurements later tonight for you. But off the top of my head, I thought it's not too bad. Maybe the size of the old Playmates bridge from back in the early 90's. Looks smaller because the entire thing is, er, vinyl. I think it's pretty cool. Only problem is you kind of knock some of the consoles over when you try to move Kirk and crew around. I'm considering glueing the pieces down or something.

I'll take measurements tonight, if that helps!

BT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users