First pic of the 3 & 3/4 line!

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

i want to see DST or someone else doing figures for this movie as well as Playmates because clearly these are toy's designed for the toy box rather than the display shelf.

#22 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Jan 22 2009, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be just as happy if DST kept thier license for what they are doing now but Playmates got the license to do 3 3/4" for all versions of Trek.

That would be awesome.

QUOTE (sallah @ Jan 22 2009, 03:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by this line, I love the look of them & will buy any & every figure they make.

I'm gathering the skirted figures like Uhura won't be able to sit, so I hope she stands at her Bridge station in the new movie.

#23 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (New Frontier @ Jan 21 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i want to see DST or someone else doing figures for this movie as well as Playmates because clearly these are toy's designed for the toy box rather than the display shelf.

Imagine that. A toy that is meant to be a toy. I am pretty sure that is what they were going for. LOL wink.gif

#24 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Jan 21 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Imagine that. A toy that is meant to be a toy. I am pretty sure that is what they were going for. LOL wink.gif

LOL well i dunno where you keep your toys or how old you might be but i for one want something to display from this movie so I'm gonna pass on these wink.gif

#25 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (s8film40 @ Jan 21 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Considering the scale these certainly look acceptable, and are pretty much what I was expecting. The main selling point for me for this line will be the playsets. Historically when playmates starts a line if it does well they seem to take off with it and push it to it's full potential (ie. TMNT, Star Trek through the 90's). I kind of wonder if this does well and they exhaust their supply of Star Trek XI characters if they might go after DST's license for all of Star Trek.

I'd love to see some TNG in the 3 3/4" and DS9. New and improved playsets of the 1701-D bridge, transporter and engineering would be nice! Ops for DS9 and Promenade w/ Quarks bar would be to die for! Playmates could also do environments for Star Trek ( something along the lines of thier Simpsons: World of Springfield sets! )

#26 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (Jedigreedo @ Jan 21 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interestingly, that doesn't look like Spock to me. It seems that going after an old Spock likeness has left them with a very decent Sarek.

Thats exactly what i thought when i saw the picture. In my opinion i think that this picture is not a closeup and its hard to see a lot of the detail. The 6" pic was a closeup, but only one angle. I think that these two lines look fairly similar and when we see better pictures, you will probably see the sweater like pattern on the smaller figures too. I think that more angles will make the 6 " line look a little better too.

#27 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:23 PM

New Force has my order on these!

#28 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:02 PM

Better than the 6" figure for sure but still pretty awkward looking. I may pick some up, use their heads for GiJoe customs and then shrink down the heads from the real/orginal actors head sculpts from AA and put those on these bodies.

#29 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

Yeah, overall I prefer DST's work to Playmates' work. I'd rather see DST jump on the 3 3/4" scale themselves rather than see Playmates try and go after the rest of the license. In any case, the movie is pretty much separate from the rest of Trek. Success or failure of the movie line wouldn't necessarily equate to success or failure of a line that covered the rest of Trek.

#30 QuePaso?

QuePaso?

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:30 PM

Holy Crap!!! ohmy.gif

Pictures of everything!

http://www.wizarduni...rtrekmovie.html

(just don't buy from them with their craaaaaaaazy prices!)

Links from this article to some good close-ups:

http://www.usatoday....trek-toys_N.htm

C'mon April! spock2.gif

#31 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:42 PM

The new phaser looks like a joining of the ST3 phaser and the Galaxy Quest blaster.

#32 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:42 AM

I like it, though. I like all the new props. I can't wait to see some prop makers do some kits of these. If anyone gets to do licensed versions, I'd like to see QMX get the license since MR sounds like they are going under soon.

The communicator looks wierd. More like a video cell phone than any communicator we've ever seen in Trek. The orb in the middle is interesting, though.

The tricorder looks like a cross between the TMP tric and a TNG Mark VII.

The bridge playset looks great. I'm definitely have to get it now and some figures to go with it.

The transporter set looks wierd. It seems to have only one chamber that will actually "transport" a figure, with four pads just to display figures.

The Enterprise looks very stylized. I like the curves. I think this is the first glimpse we have had of the new incarnation of the Big E.

The description of the 6 inch scale figs says the shirts are soft PVC material. Looks like they are making them similar to DST's TOS line.

#33 Risingsun

Risingsun

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:10 AM

I was wondering come April if i would spend my allotted phaser money on either the DST TWOK Phaser or on the new STXI Phaser. After finally getting a good look at the brand new movie phaser I think ill stick with the classics and spend the extra money on the TWOK Phaser. I find the new design a bit off putting.

But I do love the new Enterprise ship, the bridge playset. and even the Nerada. I wasn't too sure about the new ship designs before but those toys convinced me.
I might pick up a tricorder too.

#34 gibbspaulus

gibbspaulus

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:00 AM

I notice that you buy the basic Bridge and other parts are figure accessories according to the wizard site. Is the base for the bridge and transporter one of those vinyl sheets or solid? I think they're great because they are the most toy like we've had in some time. They are not trying to be both toy and collectible. I will definately be going a little insane here.

#35 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:03 AM

The 12" McCoy looks REALLY good....And I like the 6" line a lot better personally. the 3 3/4 line just looks kinda crappy IMO

#36 LocutusOfTuborg

LocutusOfTuborg

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:09 AM

Trek Movie com has some pix on their site as well, as they have some new pictures of the "Barbie"-line...

For me, the Playmates Lines get a "no-go".
I was actually looking forward to the 6inchers to go with die DST AA figures, but all of the Playmates figures, except the clothed ones, are too kiddy like for my taste...

LoT

#37 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:10 AM

QUOTE (LocutusOfTuborg @ Jan 22 2009, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trek Movie com has some pix on their site as well, as they have some new pictures of the "Barbie"-line...

For my the Playmates Lines get a "no-go".
I was actually looking forward to the 6inchers to go with die DST AA figures, but all of the Playmates figures, except the cloth ones, are too kiddy like for my taste...

LoT

Yeah I am very iffy about this line myself.

#38 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:08 AM

Well i love the 12 inch line and i love the new Enterprise so thats all i'll be getting but OH DEAR, the rest looks very tacky and very cheap - you can really tell when a recession is hitting the toy industry hard.

#39 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:34 AM

Click here

http://www.wizarduni...rtrekmovie.html

#40 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:23 PM

The communicator and tricorder are interesting.

The transporter is pretty cool, and I want to say the bridge is too but it's just so...strange. It has so much of a stark contrast from the retro-red and the white surroundings. Though, the bridge is interesting in that you buy one main set and then you finish it by buying figures with other pieces like console sections.

Looks like both the 3 3/4" line and 6" lines will have one standard body for all Starfleet males. For the 3 3/4" it's not so bad, even though only a couple look decent with it. But the 6" figures and their sweaters...not good at all.

For some reason everything has a feel as though it belongs in a Power Rangers toyline, I miss the good ol' Playmates days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users