Photo

Playmates...Terminator Toys as an example of what they can do now.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

I was just glancing at these:
http://i.toynewsi.co...b...600&start=0

This line is really starting to shape up! I'm loving what Playmates is doing now with Terminator and Star Trek. I sure hope they can get to some of the other Treks too. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice. I'd also love to see them do some of the previous Terminator movies, and give us an AHHHNOLD sculpt in 3 3/4" as well. Maybe even some figures for Alien and Predator. No not Alien vs Predator. I'm talking Colonial Marines and Dutch and Company. I know some of you would say it will never happen, but who would have thought Playmates would have got the Terminator: Salvation license. I was pleasantly blindsided!

#22 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

The Playmates' Terminator site is up.

Doesn't look like a Star Trek site is up yet, though.

#23 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

I like the looks of them. The more I see the more I have hope for them and the Star Trek line.

#24 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

I think it's safe to say that Playmates is re-inventing themselves. I hope this leads to other surprise licenses. I'm still holding out hope for some 24th century goodness in the 3 3/4" format!

#25 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:49 PM

OK, be prepared, because I'm going to ask the question....How exactly are they re-inviting themselves? Up until they won the bid on producing the Star Trek line, their biggest license was TMNT & Strawberry Shortcake. Most of you have known me long enough to know I hate negative stuff. So it's a little out of character to complain about a line, but I'm just not feeling this or the Star Trek figures. Of course these are just teaser pics and the final product might change by the time these hit, but I'm just not wowed by these. Am I missing something and doesn't this seem a little outdated approach to do a line?

#26 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

I dont see much difference between what I saw at the beginning of this thread versus what is being shown now. I havent seen articulation like that in about 10 years. The likenesses are still alright but obviously not up to par with what can be done with scanning technology. Even the robots, which are usually the coolest figures in a set are ho-hum to me. Not being a fan of terminator but being a huge toy collector, these dont interest me in the least bit. Im thinking for a movie line that you need to draw new people in...not just the hardcore fans.

#27 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (The_Donster @ Mar 25 2009, 02:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, be prepared, because I'm going to ask the question....How exactly are they re-inviting themselves? Up until they won the bid on producing the Star Trek line, their biggest license was TMNT & Strawberry Shortcake. Most of you have known me long enough to know I hate negative stuff. So it's a little out of character to complain about a line, but I'm just not feeling this or the Star Trek figures. Of course these are just teaser pics and the final product might change by the time these hit, but I'm just not wowed by these. Am I missing something and doesn't this seem a little outdated approach to do a line?

Re-inventing themselves in that they are taking steps to get licenses that will appeal to someone other than my two year old daughter. She loves Playmates Tinkerbell and friends line, she likes the Ninja Turtles too. Terminator is definately a move away from anything I remember them ever doing. So thats how I come to the whole reinventing thing. Maybe it will be a success, maybe a dismal failure! Definately a new direction for the company.

#28 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:14 PM

They just had the King Kong movie line a few years back so I think its something they've been trying out for a while. Its almost as if they take whatever everyone else doesnt want.

#29 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Mar 25 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They just had the King Kong movie line a few years back so I think its something they've been trying out for a while. Its almost as if they take whatever everyone else doesnt want.

I don't know seems like a Christian Bale Terminator movie will be a pretty hot item. I find it hard to believe no one wants that! I'm really surprised NECA didn't grab that. Star Trek looks like it might even be bringin in the Benjamins too! I agree about King Kong those figures weren't really all that dynamic.

#30 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:53 AM

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines - thats all you need to know to understand why no one wanted this license.

The thing is, personally i would put Star Trek as more appealing to big companies, Star Trek has a huge back story, it is a modern myth and it's also a legend, ok you have flops like Star Trek: Nemesis but that was over 7 years ago but i think it's got the chance of being more appealing to kids than Terminator, i mean by the looks of it, Terminator has no story and looks like it'll be big robots smashing up everything - Terminator was never EVER like that and indeed we were told (by Rick) that the last two companies left bidding for the Star Trek license were Hasbro and Playmates - so obviously there was more interest with Star Trek - and why not? a 40 odd year old franchise, being rebooted by one of the hottest talents (lets not give our personal opinions on this) in hollywood at the moment - Star Trek has the more potential in becoming big.

Terminator for a lot of people i think should have remained as 2 cult movies from the 80's not as a kids franchise - we've already got Transformers ripping up the world - we don't need Terminators doing the same for the same age of audience - where as Star Trek, it's more like Star Wars and isn't about robots destroying the world, it has has had that appealing factor with kids before with TNG in the 80's, this movie might just be the next big space franchise that to be honest, Star Wars has had the luxury of being where as well Terminator was never meant to be for kids - Christian Bale or not - he can go off on one and still sounds like Batman but i really think that movie stinks, we'll just have to wait and see how it fares, I'm not too sure about it, i've seen the trailers and well, it just looks like Bruce Wayne running around pretending to be Batman in this empty plot, Transformers-esque scenario - Transformers is about a kid and bsed on a bunch of toys so we accept that it's not going to have much of a story - but Terminator - well it was always about the story, i don't think this movie is though and because of that i think it might do well on it's opening weekend but it'll drop off pretty quickly.

#31 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:19 AM

Yes Terminator 3 did kind of suck even with Arnold and that hot looking female terminator. Seeing Arnold as three diferent terminators in three different movie made me think that Wiley Coyote from The Roadrunner cartoons programmed Skynet! I mean the whole concept behind the terminator was concealment and infiltration into the remaining bands of survivors after judgement day. Arnold the terminator is going to start to stick out, you'll notice him in the crowd!

However, besides all that I am more of a fan of Star Trek's positive future over the whole judgement day scenario. I think that the video game playing kid crowd will probably go more for the whole Christian Bale as John Conner thing! I mean most of them will recognize him as Batman, and that alone will draw them in. When it comes to Star Trek I think having "Shaun of the Dead", That kid that went to Whitecastle with Kumar, and Madea in the new movie will certainly turn a few heads too! I almost forgot to mention Sylar from heroes and who doesn't know about Winona Ryder! I think this movie might give us more than a few converts. Trekkies of the world unite! Yes, I said Trekkie. To me its a word that better describes my personality. I never got into that old old Trekkie vs Trekker argument. biggrin.gif

#32 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:58 PM

Playmates looks to have a winner on their hands in the Terminator line with Christian Bales likeness! Check it out here:

http://legionsofgoth...GIONHOME/?p=859

Sure makes me wonder what they could do with even more Trek figure likenesses if they were given more liberties with the Star Trek license ? I really am hoping for some figures of Picard and the crew in this scale!

#33 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

wow that is really awesome. I may just have to pick one up but seriously who will even carry it? All of the T:S stuff is on super clearance and on its way out.

#34 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

I just read that the Terminator : Salvation toyline is canceled. I hope the 3 3/4" Trek movie line doesn't share the same fate!

http://legionsofgoth...GIONHOME/?p=950

#35 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:03 PM

The Terminator Salvation line never seemed to catch on, i never saw any indication that any of the product sold at the stores near me. The line didnt strike my fancy either, but the NECA line of Terminator 2 figures is interesting.

#36 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

The Playmates Terminator Salvation figures were just awful IMO. But not as bad as the actual movie wink.gif

#37 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Aug 7 2009, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Terminator Salvation line never seemed to catch on, i never saw any indication that any of the product sold at the stores near me. The line didnt strike my fancy either, but the NECA line of Terminator 2 figures is interesting.

I heard that Playmates also got a license for the first two Terminator movies. I was really looking forward to Arnold's Terminator, Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese all in the 3 3/4" scale. It looks like they really nailed that Christian Bale likeness for Wave two! So this lines demise really blows. I just hope that Star Trek has a better fate.

#38 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Aug 9 2009, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard that Playmates also got a license for the first two Terminator movies. I was really looking forward to Arnold's Terminator, Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese all in the 3 3/4" scale. It looks like they really nailed that Christian Bale likeness for Wave two! So this lines demise really blows. I just hope that Star Trek has a better fate.

I think the thing with all action figure lines that helps insure success of a line is the ability to get new product on the shelves, and enough of it to satisfy customers and keep them interested. Thats a big part of what kept me interested in the Playmates Star Trek line in the 1990's. The line of Terminator Salvation figures IMO were not that interesting, just like the movie. I saw the movie, which was okay, but it is not what i would call a great movie, a movie thats inspires fans to go out and buy merchandise connected with the movie. Movie merchandise seems to move when the movie connects with the moviegoer on an emotional level, when you like a character, and having the merchandise brings a sort of comfort to the buyer. I cant recall any characters from the Terminator Salvation movie that i really cared for, and therefore i had no interest in the figures. I have not bought any new BSG figures because i have found all of the characters repugnant, so therefore no purchases from me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users