Photo

What Is Your Most Valuable Playmates Item?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Writing, collecting Star trek figures, movies, Tennis

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(Frontier @ Aug 16 2008, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what is your most valuable Playmates (Trek) item? Economic wise, not sentiment, I'm afraid. Heh.

Mine would have to be my MOMC "Redemption" Data. Though we all know that Data really wore red in "Chains of Command" and not "Redemption"... wink.gif

My "Red" Data happens to be collectors number 000059. biggrin.gif No, it is NOT for sale! tongue.gif Well, for $1 million dollars, maybe!

I hope to some day have Brent Spiner autograph it.

I have a MOMC LIEUTENANT William Riker figure signed by Jonathan Frakes.

How About You?

How rare would that figure be? In terms of cost, anyway.

#22 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Aug 17 2008, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok I have stuff that I should add I guess but across the lines I think this covers most of them. New Forces Red Shirt Data for example, should be added.

http://www.trektoy.com/rare.htm

You must have a collection worth at least a million dollars. How long have you been collecting?

#23 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE(pickard @ Aug 19 2008, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow. That was an awful way for the owner to handle it.

At the time, I had no idea of its value. I'm normally an opener, but I was late for work, so the figure stayed MOC after I left the store. I found out on the Internet a few hours later what I had stumbled upon and put it away in a safe place.

Lucky you.

#24 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(pickard @ Aug 17 2008, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got the 1701 Picard. That's probably my most valuable Playmates item.

Whats the big deal with that figure, anyway?

#25 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:50 PM

The president of playmate toys in an effort to try to raise interest in the line (sales were down some), decided to make 1701 of the Picards from Tapestry. Normal run numbers at the time could have been in the 50,000 range, or more easy. It backfired and caused a mass sell off from collectors that thought that they would never get one and therefore never complete their collection. That's the short version, but I'm sure you get the idea.

#26 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Aug 19 2008, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... decided to make 1701 of the Picards from Tapestry. Normal run numbers at the time could have been in the 50,000 range, or more easy.

nowadays 1701 is plenty for any figure. That's kinda sad to me... sad.gif

#27 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Aug 19 2008, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The president of playmate toys in an effort to try to raise interest in the line (sales were down some), decided to make 1701 of the Picards from Tapestry. Normal run numbers at the time could have been in the 50,000 range, or more easy. It backfired and caused a mass sell off from collectors that thought that they would never get one and therefore never complete their collection. That's the short version, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Yeah, I got the idea.

#28 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE(Frontier @ Aug 16 2008, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what is your most valuable Playmates (Trek) item? Economic wise, not sentiment, I'm afraid. Heh.

Mine would have to be my MOMC "Redemption" Data. Though we all know that Data really wore red in "Chains of Command" and not "Redemption"... wink.gif

My "Red" Data happens to be collectors number 000059. biggrin.gif No, it is NOT for sale! tongue.gif Well, for $1 million dollars, maybe!

I hope to some day have Brent Spiner autograph it.

I have a MOMC LIEUTENANT William Riker figure signed by Jonathan Frakes.

How About You?

Where did you get that figure? A convention?

#29 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Aug 16 2008, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the Playmates Dathon. This figure came with the "Pog or Space cap" as they were called rather then the card that was with the more common one. This version was released only in Australia and the UK and reportedly there were only (1,100). The resource guide at http://www.newforcecomics.com/trekref says that 700 went to the UK and 400 to AU. I looked for 3 years to find one I could afford and ( i guess that I could have missed one) I have never seen for sale on Ebay.

I recently watched Darmok...the episode with Dathon, and it was quite good.

#30 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE(Wildcard @ Aug 16 2008, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Crossroads of Time Sisko.

Whish I could get one of those...I wasn't around during the mail away offer.

#31 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Aug 17 2008, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well prices are down across the board for all trek collectibles with a few exceptions, the MR TOS Phaser comes to mind. but at one time I think that Rick at New Force Comics was paying around $1,000 to buy them. There are more rare ones by number produced, like the Tri Fold Borg, but I have found in my experience no other figure made by Playmates is as hard to find.

What is the Trifold Borg?

#32 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE(stardust @ Aug 17 2008, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I first heard of these figures I was really worried but a lot of phone calls allowed me to end up with 4 1701 Picards, 2 Yars and 4 Barclays. I found the first 1701 Picard at a local comic shoppe. I went in one day and asked this guy who really knew nothing of Trek/toys and was just working part-time and he pulled out the Picard. I couldn't believe my eyes and then I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. But he went to the register and said 10.81 is your total. I couldn't believe it.

The next day the owner called to tell me that the clerk screwed up and wasn't suppose to put the figure out and certainly not for 11 bucks. He told me there was nothing he could do once it sold but he requested that I not come back to his shop. I thought that was a poor way to handle it. It wasn't my fault but oh well. The other three Picards I got through Spencer's Gifts. I knew back then in my part of the country they got their weekly shipments on Tuesdays so I got a listing of like 50 stores and when my local store got a case in(which never had the 1701 figures) I just started calling and that way I increased the number of cases and odds of getting one. I lucked out and got three.

I haven't shopped Spencers in years but back then the stores could ship items from one store to another without charging me for shipping. Jerry would call me and I'd go down and pick them up. I managed to also get two Yars this way and Mara Hart at Playmates customer service was kind enough to send me the yellow 1701 stickers that were left off the Yars because of collectors complaining the stickers tipped off scalpers and those who worked at the stores. I got three Barclays this way and lucked upon one at my local Service Merchandise.

To this day those figures were the hardest to get. I guess the only other figures that are as difficult and as rewarding when you come across them are the Batman Dark Knight Movie Masters Unmasked Batman and Fear Toxin Batman. I had forgotten the hassel given that for the last decade or so I've collected stuff that was readily accessible online saving the trouble of the toy hunt. However the Batman stuff has me going to my stores and in the case of Wal-Mart at 3 in the morning when the stockers are putting up stuff. Luckily, last night I found the Unmasked chase but I had to go through about 60 cases to find it.

So I have to say the 1701 series.

You know, you could have returned the figure. They probably would have let you return.

#33 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE(pickard @ Aug 17 2008, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got the 1701 Picard. That's probably my most valuable Playmates item.

I wonder where I could get that cheap?

#34 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

I don't think you'll find him cheap man. He is one of the more sought after. I bought all the 1701 figures for about $325 many years back.

#35 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Aug 21 2008, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think you'll find him cheap man. He is one of the more sought after. I bought all the 1701 figures for about $325 many years back.

Yeah, unfortunatley. The only one I saw on ebay was for over a thousand dollars.

#36 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE(TrekCollector01 @ Aug 21 2008, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder where I could get that cheap?

Mine's definitely for sale. I'd have to research the going rate. It's not what it once was.

#37 stardust

stardust

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(TrekCollector01 @ Aug 21 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, you could have returned the figure. They probably would have let you return.

Why would I return a rare figure that I paid for. It wasn't my fault the clerk sold it to me for retail. I would have been a fool to return a figure that I paid 11 dollars for and if I couldn't find another one either have to do without or pay a $1000 to get one which is what they were going for at the time.

#38 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

My rarest is probably Thomas Riker, but he's opened and got some scuff marks as I played with him plenty. I was just a kid, I had no idea how big of a deal it was until I saw Trekkies a few years ago.

#39 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(stardust @ Aug 22 2008, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would I return a rare figure that I paid for. It wasn't my fault the clerk sold it to me for retail. I would have been a fool to return a figure that I paid 11 dollars for and if I couldn't find another one either have to do without or pay a $1000 to get one which is what they were going for at the time.

Because it would've been the right thing to do.

#40 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(Jedigreedo @ Aug 22 2008, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My rarest is probably Thomas Riker, but he's opened and got some scuff marks as I played with him plenty. I was just a kid, I had no idea how big of a deal it was until I saw Trekkies a few years ago.

Which Thomas Riker figure is it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users