511 replies to this topic

#41 Gordo

Gordo

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Apr 28 2008, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Say what you want about the PMs figures, but after packing them up ... again last weekend ... I was amazed at how many characters we received. There was a ton of play-ability and fun times to be had with all of those babies!

I still have all of mine on display in the basement -- my wife is most accommodating -- and they still give me the warm fuzzies whenever I look at them.

#42 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE(Gordo @ Apr 29 2008, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still have all of mine on display in the basement -- my wife is most accommodating -- and they still give me the warm fuzzies whenever I look at them.

I wonder if we will see or hear anything about this line at SDCC. It's been a while, and I know we have a while left. I'd be happy if they would just show a head sculpt or Academy Uniform figure- We have all seen the spy photos of the Academy scene by this point!

#43 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(Gordo @ Apr 29 2008, 05:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too!

#44 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(bgiles73 @ Jun 23 2008, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if we will see or hear anything about this line at SDCC.

I hope so...but I gather we won't if they are not to be shown until the movie debuts.

Though I'd have thought the figures would be on shelves as soon as the movie debuts?

#45 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

I think that they are keeping a lid on these untill closer to the movie debut due to the secrecy and all from Abrahms and the Studio. I do hope that we see somehting at SDCC though but I doubt it.

#46 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:28 PM

^I'd like SOMETHING Trek at SDCC. My friend Bill is going and I'd love for him to bring me SOMETHING back. lol

#47 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:56 PM

According to Variety Paramount and Star Trek WON'T be appearing at this years SDCC??? why, i know not. All i know is that its a weird and perhaps damaging decision to not show up at one of the biggest events in any Sci-fi fan's diary.

the article is reported here at www.trekmovie.com

#48 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:01 AM

I have to agree it's a bad idea not to be at SDCC. Even though the release is slated for 9 months out, they should be doing everything possible to whip up Fan Enthusiasm.

I've noticed that Qunitano is hitting the Vegas Trek Con, and I have to assume it for that very reason.

They have such a great opportunity with the "Trek Tour" in San Diego at the same time as SDCC, they could have captolized on that to strengthen the fan base.

#49 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:13 PM

^Well it could also be a little reverse psychology capitalizing on the "mystery" aspect of it all. Personally I'd rather see SOMETHING like we know what Quinto looks like as Spock, and of course Nemoy...show those figures at least.

#50 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:08 PM

I believe it is the secracy factor from Abrahms. That seems to be the way he operates. They are going to keep a lid on it and then flood the market and airwaves next year with the early cons and toy shows leading to the may release date.

#51 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:02 PM

Potential spoilers in Article, but just in case any one is interested -Read this. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37248

Really should be a least something at SDCC. I wonder if maybe another teaser trailer could be close.

#52 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the link bt I actualy posted the article in the movie discussion section already.

#53 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:40 AM

the trailer was debunked and there will be no real Star Trek presence at SDCC - officials from Paramount say their will be something but its going to be a low key thing at the Paramount booth - unless their going to show the entire Enterprise crew as a surprise then its likely we'll see another logo on a shiny bit of paper with the slogan "under construction" and "summer 2009" on it.

Playmates i doubt will show anything until Toy Fair in NY next February, when hopefully Paramount have released a full teaser and close to releasing a full theatrical trailer too!

#54 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:19 PM

What are people expecting with the new Playmates toys?

I work in Woolworth's part time, it's a kids shop that sells toys - we have a few of the old King Kong toys and TMNT figures left from Playmates and i've been looking at their quality and whilst TMNT has been done in a very cartoon way, iI'm quite impressed by King Kong - we only have like two large Kong figures left sitting in our back room gathering dust but they still look good - sure there not highly detailed pieces of art but they serve their purpose.

so i was wondering what people expect from playmates as, 4 years on from Kong - they take a 2008/09 license and transform it into a line of figures that will inspire and excite the kids across the world young and old.

Since Playmates are no stranger to Star Trek i'd expect they will know what they're doing - but will they?? - Playmates might have had some large licenses in the past, including Star Trek, but up until this movie, their lines have been primarily focused on the really young kids almost babies, (see www.playmatestoys.com) so what would you want to see from Playmates that would indicate that they are still capable of producing figures and merchandise on the scale of Hasbro's Star Wars, making sure Star Trek, like Star Wars, get's the attention of the younger generation Paramount want for Trek to have?

I'd expect some really high end toys - some smart thinking toys, interactive and forward thinking products, detail also will be something i would like to see - and most of all quality - this is after all 2008, Playmates have to be on top of their game if they want to compete with Hasbro's Star Wars line and they would have to if they want Star Trek to be the next big thing.

it worries me that playmates have the license if I'm honest, in recent years King Kong has been their only non-kiddy type license, since then though their website and products suggest a consumer base from toddler to 7 years old, so nothing they have out at the moment fills me with the confidence to say "there going to knock this out of the park again" - times are a lot different from the last time they had the license, people expect more in every sense of the word. companies like hasbro, Character and Mezco are realizing that more and more kids and fans want movie accurate toys rather than simplified figures and ships/cars, but does Playmates realize this or will they be 10 years behind the rest in that respect? i hope not!

I have faith but I'm worried, but i guess what ever Playmates showed CBS and Paramount must have been good enough, fingers firmly crossed.

#55 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:39 PM

Oh, I expect to see a little of everything. From high end collectibles to stuff that babies won't even play with (that's a new trend for all companies now-a-days it seems). I am pumped about PM's getting the license. They are the ones that got me hooked in the first place, and if they do us the justice we got the first time, I will be a happy man. I would LOVE for them to produce figures like the ones they did in the 90's. I would add them into my already massive collection.

I mean, from out previous experience with them, we got some high end collectible statues right down to some cruddy. little, plastic figures with the Inner Space line ... and I loved every single one of them. So I think you will see some nice pieces like the ships and some hihg end figures right down to those stupid little bobbleheads everyone is producing now.

#56 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:50 PM

IIRC, they will be producing 3.5 and 7" figures, am I right?
If they are producing 7"ers they must intend to 'compete' with DST's run. I kind of hope that there will be some Kirk et al. Hybrid figures, old Spock and some awesome Romulans!! Opps, is that too much to hope for? I hope they don't go for the 'V' crotch, as that was the worst feature they had, well if you wanted to have them sit anyway... I would love to do customs with the two lines, if possible.
The 3.5" line, is supposed to facilitate vehicles, like a bridge (I know not a vehicle exactly) and shuttles. I suppose it might be to compete with Star Wars, but I doubt that they could, even if the show is a blockbuster...
Here is to a successful PM showing of Trek!!

#57 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:19 AM

I think their movie line will include over 50 figures, 2 ships and playsets as well as phasers and communicators. i think i heard this on Aint it cool news so uit could be wrong.

as far as im aware there's 3 scales: 3.5 line, a 6 inch line and a 12 or 9 inch line - the latter intended for collectors.

Its no way gonna compete with Hasbro's Star Wars but if the film is a hit and there are more - i would expect a lot more from Playmates - or even Hasbro if Playmates license runs out at the end of this movie (which wouldn't surprise me)

#58 Shinzon

Shinzon

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE(New Frontier @ Aug 9 2008, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think their movie line will include over 50 figures, 2 ships and playsets as well as phasers and communicators. i think i heard this on Aint it cool news so uit could be wrong.

as far as im aware there's 3 scales: 3.5 line, a 6 inch line and a 12 or 9 inch line - the latter intended for collectors.

Its no way gonna compete with Hasbro's Star Wars but if the film is a hit and there are more - i would expect a lot more from Playmates - or even Hasbro if Playmates license runs out at the end of this movie (which wouldn't surprise me)

The real question is --- Is the Movie going to be a hit?

That seems to be the $300 million dollar question, and I hope that answer turns out to be yes. Still, if I were a studio exec at Paramount, I'd be terrified right now.

#59 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:09 AM

Regardless of whether the movie is a hit I guess we can count on that first wave...could be only wave? (Im hoping its a hit too!) I am really excited about the 3.5" line and the possibilities it has. Im hoping that DST at least takes a look at maybe copying/adding to what playmates does with it. That has really become my favorite scale overall. Im also interested in the 6" line to see how they match up to the AA stuff. Im hoping that they do because I would love to be able to display the old crew with the new crew.

As for Playmates style, Im hoping that they go a new route and dont justt try to replicate the old plamates line in terms of figure style/articulation. They were nice for the time period but I think we need more nowadays. Good detail with real painted accesories is very important. I think I have enough magenta phasers to last me a lifetime!

Im also stoked about the ships which I am assuming will be the Enterprise and a Romulan ship.

All in all im hoping this line is successful regardless of the movies success. Ive seen movies that are huge and toy lines that die out and vice versa. Hopefully the toy line does well because it means a lot more for trek fans in general and for the Trek universe as a whole.

#60 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Writing, collecting Star trek figures, movies, Tennis

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE(Samwise Gamgee @ Jan 30 2008, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.action-fi...m...e&sid=22556

Apparently there will be three scales: 4", 6" (ish), 9-12"
Plus playsets of the bridge and transporter for the 4" figures. Wow, they really are trying to bring back what they had.

Wow, I can't wait for the new toy line to come out. It will be first playmates one since what? '99?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users