• This topic is locked This topic is locked
511 replies to this topic

#21 Smitty

Smitty

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

Playmates Toys has had nine years to tweak and freak their toymaking.

Nowadays more and more toys have more articulation so it's gonna be nice.

-cs

#22 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Feb 1 2008, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... but I want superposable figures ala Hasbro if they do!

I'm sorry Gothneo, I am going to disagree with you here. I don't think Trek lends itself to super-poseable. I didn't even like it in the Buffy line, so I am VERY learey of it in a line that doesn't involve a lot of action. I guess I would have to see it before I critique it though.

#23 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

I have to side with Gothneo on this. I think that the Trek line would be great done in the current style of Hasbros 3 3/4" Star Wars or G.I.joe. I know I would buy them all.

#24 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:39 PM

3 3/4 I'm not sure about. I'm thinking more 6 inch and 9 inch cloth figures.

#25 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:54 PM

I personally would like to see playmates put out new figures based on the new movie. I still remember how i enjoyed looking through stores at all of the new playmates figures and playsets, and how exciting it was wondering what would come out next, so im all for the playmates figures. I wouldnt mind seeing them rerelease some of the previously released playmates stuff, like boxed sets of each of the Trek series 4" figures. It would be great if Star Trek could catch on again among the masses.

#26 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:00 PM

I wouldn't mind the smaller size, but if you start adding in tons of articulation and protruding joints, I think it will take away from the figure. Maybe I misunderstood the term "super-poseable" in regard to Hasbro. Maybe they do something different that I am not aware of.

#27 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:34 PM

I think hasbro with starwars and gi joe has the best artculation. It almost never detracts from the overall look of the figure.

#28 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:40 PM

PLAYSETS!!!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Feb 2 2008, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't mind the smaller size, but if you start adding in tons of articulation and protruding joints, I think it will take away from the figure. Maybe I misunderstood the term "super-poseable" in regard to Hasbro. Maybe they do something different that I am not aware of.

I wasn't a huge fan of the super articulation in the ML line. Some of my figures arrived completely warped in their packaging & couldn't stand.

However I picked up the pregnant Padme Amidala figure who is Hasbro's version of super-articulation I gather, & she looks really good. Her joints works well & doesn't leave her feeling weak or unstable.

However this scares me:

The final line looked to me to be a 4" line. Now the figures I saw weren't articulated and I have no idea whether the final pieces will or not, but what was on show with them was a couple of playsets.

I know articulation isn't Playmates thing these days...so I gather what he saw could be the final pieces. But thats a worst case scenario. He also stated this:

What makes me think the 4" line will be articulated was the fact that the bridge had a Kirk figure, sat at his chair, and it seems stupid to me to have a playset with a non-articulated kirk figure in a sitting pose. But then I could be wrong.

Whoever asked if Playmates quality is anything like Character Options Doctor Who line.... roflmao.gif
No...no it's not.

But maybe they'll surprise us.

#29 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Feb 1 2008, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Feb 1 2008, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think hasbro with starwars and gi joe has the best articulation. It almost never detracts from the overall look of the figure.

Yep, theHsbr is on my wavelength. I'm not talking about toybiz ML levels of articulation... in fact I was only talking about the 4" scale.

The Super Articulated 3 3/4 Joes and Star wars (and soon to be Indiana Jones) figures done by Hasbro are simply stunning in many cases IMO. One of those SA figs usually has around 20 - 22 POA and as stated it almost never detracts from the figure. This level of detail plus articulation has had me buying many many Star Wars fgs since Hasbro started "Upgrading" the line with the VOTC figs back in 2004.

That's what I'm talking about when I say Super Articulated ala Hasbro!

As for the 6" line... if DST would just put some boot or thigh cuts back into the line it would be perfect IMO!

#30 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:31 AM

I haven't seen these super-articulated figures yet. I did like some of the stuff that Hasbro was doing, especially the hinged elbows and such. As long as there aren't any crazy, obnoxious joints, I am all for it.

#31 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:15 AM

So... for example, here is a 22 POA Jango Fett...

Plus look at all the cool detachable accessories and parts!

This is has become typical of what Hasbro offers in the 3 3/4" scale for Star Wars and I love it!

Do this for Star Trek and I would happily buy every character DST has done all over!

#32 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:38 PM

Oh yeah ... very nice! I could definitely go for that! Thanks for sharing!

#33 Samwise Gamgee

Samwise Gamgee

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:11 PM

New details summarized from AICN report from the German ToyFair:
http://trekmovie.com...fair/#more-1565

About 50 figures, wow!

#34 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:55 AM

50 figures! Wow! that has to account for the three different lines (4", 6" & 12").

Credited cast alone accounts for about 14 figures in ea line... add a villain/alien or two and you easily have a 16 figures per line, so 48 figures is an easy number to come up with. basically that leaves only a couple open slots!

I expect that the larger scale lines will probably be a bit smaller though and the 4" line will carry more uncredited cast, such as Young Kirk and such.

#35 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:19 AM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Feb 12 2008, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that has to account for the three different lines (4", 6" & 12").

Ah yes, ofcourse. I didn't think of that! laugh.gif

Still, thats a lotta Trek figures.

I wonder if Uhura will be able to sit this time around. That was an annoying factor with her 90's Playmates figures....not that the 90's figure had anywhere to sit anyway!

#36 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:37 PM

I'm going to have to build more shelves and take out a new credit card!!

Playmates did know how to put out figures

#37 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE(FHC @ Feb 22 2008, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to have to build more shelves and take out a new credit card!!

Playmates did know how to put out figures

They certainly did know how to package them, i love the boxed sets, especially this one. Cant wait to see what they have in store for us now!

#38 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:10 PM

Playmates are taking their sweet time! When does the movie start playing?

#39 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:25 PM

Say what you want about the PMs figures, but after packing them up ... again last weekend ... I was amazed at how many characters we received. There was a ton of play-ability and fun times to be had with all of those babies!

#40 Gordo

Gordo

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:32 AM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Apr 28 2008, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Playmates are taking their sweet time! When does the movie start playing?

The new movie? It's been pushed out from December 2008 to May 2009. That decision coincided with the event (can't recall which one) at which the toy line was to be revealed. Everything about the movie is being so closely guarded that I think Playmates was either asked -- or decided -- to hold off on displaying any toys (although they were seen at a German show, as noted in a previous post).

I expect we'll start seeing pictures of the toys at about the same time we start seeing pictures of the ship and its uniformed crew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users