• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:55 PM

My buddy got his DST full-sized TOS captain's chair last weekend. I haven't seen it in person yet, but he told me that it is battery-operated. You read that correct, battery-operated! Evidently, the lights are limited to only one side/arm rest area of the chair's control panel and there are various sounds.

Anyone else have theirs yet?

#2 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:30 PM

I wanted one but couldn't swing the money, so I built my own.

#3 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:56 AM

I just cant see spending two thousand plus dollars on a full size command chair. That money would go along way towards getting more figures and related stuff that i would rather have. I bet FHC's chair will be better than DST's anyway.

#4 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:37 AM

Battery Operated? lol a

#5 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:02 AM

They are slighly taking the micky with the batteries. Would love to see some pics though.

#6 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (DS9_Fan @ Jun 13 2009, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are slighly taking the micky with the batteries. Would love to see some pics though.

Hope to make it over to my bud's next weekend and I will definitely take some pix. Like so many products DST makes, the specs on the chair were not particularly detailed when the chair was offered. His chair also did not come with ANY instructions (could have been an omission at the factory?) and the operations panel was hidden by magnets under the speaker on the side panel. He had a time finding the controls (and battery panel). The chair also came with a bonus---the DST Capt Kirk action figure with captain's chair.

Anyway, will post more details and pix when I see it.

#7 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Hermey the Elf @ Jun 13 2009, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The chair also came with a bonus---the DST Capt Kirk action figure with captain's chair.

Wow they really splurged with that!

#8 LocutusOfTuborg

LocutusOfTuborg

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (Hermey the Elf @ Jun 13 2009, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The chair also came with a bonus---the DST Capt Kirk action figure with captain's chair.

What a laugh!

LoT

#9 ryanlb

ryanlb

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:51 AM

I wanted to buy it just for that figure.

#10 'E'

'E'

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:01 AM

Wow...a $30 figure. A power supply would have been nicer.

#11 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

In this case, I think it's supposed to be a "mini-me."

#12 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

Actually they could have really ticked some people off if they made it a special exclusive figure.

#13 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jun 13 2009, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually they could have really ticked some people off if they made it a special exclusive figure.

Yeah, wouldn't that have been hilarious and majorly aggrivating.

#14 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:06 PM

Assuming they are using LED's why in the world would you want a power cord running out the back? I have every LED in my chair, 15 or so, running at once on two AA batteries for hours on end without killing the batteries. I'm going to get some rechargeable AAa and never worry again.

#15 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:26 PM

I think for the

#16 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (FHC @ Jun 13 2009, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Assuming they are using LED's why in the world would you want a power cord running out the back? I have every LED in my chair, 15 or so, running at once on two AA batteries for hours on end without killing the batteries. I'm going to get some rechargeable AAa and never worry again.

Good point...hadn't thought of that. When my buddy got his, as I mentioned, the instructions (if any) were missing from the boxes. He expected it to be wired with a power cord to plug into an outlet, and when there was none (and the control/battery section was hidden under the speaker), he was very puzzled. As you may know, the Roddenberry.com/HMS version plugs into an outlet and is not battery-powered; however, it does cost $5500 vs $2200 for the DST version.

#17 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (New Frontier @ Jun 13 2009, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think for the

#18 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:29 PM

That is not the way to go really. I could power mine with a rechargeable 3.7 volt from a cordless phone but this system works the best. I did try that. I also tried the battery from a IPod Kick, which I use in the props I build, but it still came back that for the most amperage, for the least cost, in a convenient power cell, the AA worked the best. Sometimes simple is best. I would really not want a power cord running out the back of the chair even if I could remove it. There would still be a hole for the jack.

I can tell you that the chair is really not much more then a large version of the electric chair that comes with the Kirk. It's really not, other then the padded seat. However I can tell there is a tremendous amount of work in building one.

Here some video

http://www.trektoy.com/chair.MOV

To be honest I do not expect the DST chair to be as nice as mine. I doubt that the DST chair has every seem in the chair filled in with filler and sanded slick, but on the other hand I do not have to have one that will disassemble and be shipped.

#19 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

Technically speaking, having an electronics system that only requires mere alkaline batteries you can buy in any store is actually more sophisticated than needing a brick of a battery, or a power source dependent on an external supply. That's why alkaline batteries were such an important innovation. wink.gif

#20 NewForceComics

NewForceComics

Trek Toy's Official Vendor

• VIP
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:32 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users