• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Quark

Quark

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Anyone know if you can use acrylic directly on a figure? If so, how does it look?

#2 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (Quark @ Jan 8 2013, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone know if you can use acrylic directly on a figure? If so, how does it look?

Hey Quark,
been doing some research after your question. This website even recommends acrylic paint. So go ahead. smile.gif

#3 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

let me say this....testors and other oil based paint does not dry on some types of plastic. From what Ive found is that the more "rubbery" the plastic the less likely it is to dry. Acrylic will dry on these but can be easily rubbed off. You should use some sort of top coat to seal the paint if you plan on doing any sort of handling. Also be careful what type of topcoat you use because those too can become tacky even on the acrylic. Also joints will easily rub so if you expect to actually play with the figure those areas will not stay painted in most cases.

#4 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jan 8 2013, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also joints will easily rub so if you expect to actually play with the figure those areas will not stay painted in most cases.

That also happens with enamel paints. I usually try to sand those areas a little, which helps most of the time...

#5 Lord Mudd

Lord Mudd

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Collecting 1/18 scale action figures: Star Trek, sci fi, and superheroes- Warhammer.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jan 9 2013, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
let me say this....testors and other oil based paint does not dry on some types of plastic. From what Ive found is that the more "rubbery" the plastic the less likely it is to dry. Acrylic will dry on these but can be easily rubbed off. You should use some sort of top coat to seal the paint if you plan on doing any sort of handling. Also be careful what type of topcoat you use because those too can become tacky even on the acrylic. Also joints will easily rub so if you expect to actually play with the figure those areas will not stay painted in most cases.

Agreed. I started with Testors and years later the paint would still be tacky, and no I am not exaggerating. I found that a clear matte spray coat helped with this. Now I use the water base hobby paints. Cheaper, more color selection, easier to paint over and rarely need to clearcoat.

CCC.

#6 Quark

Quark

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (Lord Mudd @ Jan 14 2013, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed. I started with Testors and years later the paint would still be tacky, and no I am not exaggerating. I found that a clear matte spray coat helped with this. Now I use the water base hobby paints. Cheaper, more color selection, easier to paint over and rarely need to clearcoat.

CCC.

Can you give me some brands you use that are cheap but good? And where do you get them? Im finding FASKOLOR on ebay.

I will probably start with a quark figure and paint him a new outfit.

#7 Lord Mudd

Lord Mudd

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Collecting 1/18 scale action figures: Star Trek, sci fi, and superheroes- Warhammer.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (Quark @ Jan 20 2013, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you give me some brands you use that are cheap but good? And where do you get them? Im finding FASKOLOR on ebay.

I will probably start with a quark figure and paint him a new outfit.

Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and similar craft stores. Walmart has some too, but not near the selection.
I have Folkart, Accent, Americana, Apple Barrel, and Delta Ceramcoat on my desk at the moment. My mother was a professional artist and used these as well.

CCC.

#8 Quark

Quark

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

Im using Americana and painted directly onto a Quark figure. do i have to paint them then coat them with something else? Not sure its taking to the figure very well. Guessing i have to paint and coat one section at a time? As you can see joints are an issue. Directions or tips appreciated.

#9 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Make sure to thoroughly wash the area you are painting before painting. Thin out your paint and do it in layers making sure to let each layer dry first. Use a sealant after everything dries. And the biggest tip is that since these are custom figures try not to move them around to much. Paint them, pose them, touch them up and put them on the shelf and leave them alone.

#10 Quark

Quark

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

Perhaps I put this post on the wrong section. These are not custom figures but original figures I am painting.

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Feb 3 2013, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Make sure to thoroughly wash the area you are painting before painting. Thin out your paint and do it in layers making sure to let each layer dry first. Use a sealant after everything dries. And the biggest tip is that since these are custom figures try not to move them around to much. Paint them, pose them, touch them up and put them on the shelf and leave them alone.

#11 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Should work the same way for painting any type of figure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users