No pre-order for Borg it seems

OdiPfwL.jpg

#23 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:35 AM

It is quite weird to have a world where we now have three companies simultaneously holding the action figure license - DST, McFarlane, and Mego all doing so.

Strange days indeed. We'll be getting 7" TOS and TNG figures from Todd and 7" Kelvin-verse figures from DST. 

Personally I'm more interested in the one thing DST can deliver that Todd can't; Minimates.

#24 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:22 PM

I imagine some collectors may get these but I can't imagine spending 25 bucks on 7" figures.The playmates versions didn't sell very well and I doubt it was only because the figures weren't great quality, it was because the Abrams movies we're not that great.

#25 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:47 PM

Soooooo.... early 2019 is DST code for Late 2025 right??!!??  :roflmao:

#26 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:18 PM

https://youtu.be/WSU-urOmcJ4

At 3:15 they talk about fans still asking for Chapel and Rand and if these sell others are possible. Love to get the "lost" figures, Rand Chapel Salt Monster, Romulan Commander, 7 of 9

#27 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:54 AM

not getting that Romulan Commander was all the more pitty as it was jus a new head sculpt and different pain job of an existing figure.

I really wanted that Nurse Chapel... but at this point I've resigned my self that they aren't gonna happen. 

#28 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:07 AM

The only way I see DST revisiting Chapel and Rand is if they reboot the TOS line.

I have no problem envisioning $25 figures that come with diorama pieces that connect to make a 7" scale playset as DST did with Ghostbusters. If they want to build the entire bridge of the 1701, they'll need more than the Big Seven. They'll need to rely on other characters like Chapel and Rand.

The big problem with that is Todd offering TOS figures. At this point there's a better chance he'll offer those characters if his line takes off knowing there's fan demand. He could offer a couple Sexual Tension two-packs. One could have Rand and evil Kirk from "The Enemy Within" while the other could pair Spock and Chapel from "Operation: Annihilate."

#29 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:55 AM

Concerning costs, what did DST figures run for back in the early naughts? 13 14 dollars?

I put that in an inflation calculator and that came up right under 20 dollars in today's money. 22 or so doesn't seem totally out of line as Star Wars super articulated 3.75 inch recently ressurected TVC line might run 13 or 14 dollars some places. Only way to keep down costs is to cut POA it seems

#30 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:04 AM

Concerning costs, what did DST figures run for back in the early naughts? 13 14 dollars?

I put that in an inflation calculator and that came up right under 20 dollars in today's money. 22 or so doesn't seem totally out of line as Star Wars super articulated 3.75 inch recently ressurected TVC line might run 13 or 14 dollars some places. Only way to keep down costs is to cut POA it seems

I bought quite a few of the figures from KBtoys.com for 5 bucks a piece. I think regular price was $8.99 to $9.99

#31 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:56 AM

Back in 2003, NewForceComics was selling Trip from Enterprise for $11.99.

http://www.ign.com/b.../#post-35815301

#32 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:04 AM

Which is about $17 today.

There could also be a difference in cost of materials today vs 2003.

#33 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:13 AM

Plastic's a petroleum byproduct so I look at the cost of crude oil.

Back in 2002 it was $22.81 (adjusted for inflation that's $31.02).

Today it's going for $68.46.

#34 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:48 AM

So a slight difference....

Id say they're pretty fairly priced. No more than any other action figure out there. 

#35 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:22 PM

Then there are the quantities produced. I'm sure Art Asylum was producing far more figures for mass market retailers than what DST manufactures for the specialty market. The lower the quantities the higher the cost.

#36 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:06 PM

The Black Series figures from Star Wars retail for ~$20, don't come with much in terms of accessories, and seemingly have huge production numbers. 

These two figures are including their base, and a variety of accessories as most Select figures do, and they are $22.50 a piece if you buy them together at BBTS.

I don't see them as being overpriced at all. 

#37 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:07 AM

$20 is the norm these days for a 6 in action figure. Its actually commendable that DST has managed to keep the price of their Select lines in check.

The industry, as a whole, adjusted to the $20 cost for a base price of around $100 Crude oil price, when it spiked 10 years back... and then its come back down in the last 3 years with US innovations in fracking (we basically broke OPEC)... I would suggest this is the reason we are seeing a huge release in new product at that scale... like the enormous amount of Marvel Legends this year...  the lower cost of oil has made the $20 price point a windfall for high volume product. 

All that being said... DSTs Select line has proved that there are people willing to pay a premium for good product... when Marvel Legends price point was $10, they were at $18... so now that Marvel Legends Price point is $20... $25 is probably about on point for the extra cost of materials. 

Again, I think it comes down to the quality... the select lines typically offered better detail... better quality and a more "definitive" representation of loved characters.

#38 LT CMDR DATA

LT CMDR DATA

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:31 AM

NEW PACKAGE SHOTS OF 2009 TREK SELECTS
http://news.toyark.c...ackaging-325287

Star-Trek-Into-Darkness-Spock-Select-001

Star-Trek-Into-Darkness-Kirk-Select-001.

#39 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:52 AM

They definitely come with a lot of accessories.

#40 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 06:15 PM

I'll give it to DST. They really do look nice. I'll get them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kirk, spock, kelvin, figures, dst, sdcc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users