• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:10 AM

I feel that's why the TMP wrist comm. and TMP tricorder would be the best candidates, and maybe the only candidates for a 2-pack. They have limited features; neither has moving parts, limited electronic needs, and both are relatively small. Plus, individually they might not do too well - this is assuming of course that there is enough fan (and DST) backing for a TMP tricorder at all.

The only other 2-packs I can think of would be:
TWOK box comm with chest insignia
Cobra phaser with TNG/DS9 communicator
Boomerrang phaser with DS9/VOY/Movie communicator

#42 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:45 AM

I would disagree with the cobra and boomerang phaser being paired with the communicator badges. With all the electronics being packed into the upcoming TWOK phaser, that leaves room for a working power meter in the cobra and boomerang and dolphin phasers if DST ever does any of them. If you include a working combadge with a sound board, that might eliminate the possiblity of having a full featured TNG/DS9/Voyager era phaser with power meter. Separate them. Have a TNG era phaser with working power meter. Then come out with a separate combadge set with several different interchangeable magnetically attached badges along with a magnetically attached sound board with several different switchable combadge chirps. The set could include a TNG badge, DS9/Voyager badge, Bajoran badge, Klingon badge, and maybe a couple of others. The sound board would have three or four different chirps that you could switch between to match the various badges.

As for the TWOK comm with chest insignia, I would also disagree. The chest insignia didn't do anything, so it would be a waste of the five or so dollars they would charge us to include it. I'd rather they put that money into making the comm the best quality possible (real metal lid, separately cast small parts for added detail, etc.) or just taking five bucks off the price tag.

The TMP tricorder has a good deal of features and electronics that I would not want to be compromised by including it in a two pack either. It has several lights on the top panel. It has front scanning lights. It has an opening compartment with several isolinear data chips. It also has a slot at the front that causes the electronics to come on automatically when one of the iso chips is inserted. I feel it is another item that would be compromised if DST felt they had to include a second item to the release. It would be better to release the TMP wrist comm separately.

I simply can't see any benefit to a two-pack. Any added value would only be perceived as corners would have to be cut to include the extra item for the same price.

#43 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:22 PM

Good points, and I never thought about electronics for the TNG+ communicators.

#44 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:58 PM

That's one thing I don't understand DST not trying. A combadge set with soundboard would be simple and easy enough to give us to test the waters for TNG Trek Tek. The badges wouldn't have moving parts, the soundboard electronics would be simple enough, several different badges in the set could cover several time periods from TNG to Voyager and a couple of alien races. They could even have the future combadges from "All Good Things" and the 29th century combadge. Even the "Future Imperfect" combadge. Include the Bajoran and Klingon communicators and possibly one or two other alien badges to mix things up a bit. It could have a varied enough selection that it wouldn't be pinned down to one series or one time period and give fans of all or most modern Treks something they would like.

#45 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (knightone @ Oct 11 2008, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's one thing I don't understand DST not trying. A combadge set with soundboard would be simple and easy enough to give us to test the waters for TNG Trek Tek. The badges wouldn't have moving parts, the soundboard electronics would be simple enough, several different badges in the set could cover several time periods from TNG to Voyager and a couple of alien races. They could even have the future combadges from "All Good Things" and the 29th century combadge. Even the "Future Imperfect" combadge. Include the Bajoran and Klingon communicators and possibly one or two other alien badges to mix things up a bit. It could have a varied enough selection that it wouldn't be pinned down to one series or one time period and give fans of all or most modern Treks something they would like.

Now that is a good idea. I would be a set that had all or even some of those.

#46 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:44 AM

I sent in the suggestion to DST. Who knows, maybe they'll actually consider it.

#47 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:14 AM

My 'chirping' badges from QVC are among my favorite pieces of my collection (although my TNG oval backed badge got chipped). I would definitely be up for a series of combadges!

#48 Risingsun

Risingsun

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:10 AM

Has it been revealed yet what voice samples will be included in the TWoK Phaser? I also think it will be strange to have a talking phaser.

#49 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:54 AM

I agree, it should make Phaser sounds not have (kirk?) come yelling out or something. Oh well. it not that it hurts anything to do so I guess. The way it looks will sell it, or not sell it, not voices.

#50 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:20 AM

"Set phasers to...VERBALLY SCORN!"

#51 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:08 AM

Are they still planning on voice bites on these? I was hoping they'd change their minds.

#52 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

I hope it is a separate button then the sound effects, I dont want to fire on someone, only to give out a shatner-ism...

#53 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:28 PM

I believe DST said in one of the Q&A's that the announcements about voice clips on the TWOK phaser was a mistake. Only the TOS tricorder will have voice clips, not the TWOK phaser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users