New Enterprise E

• Please log in to reply
1324 replies to this topic

#21 eti

eti

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY)<br />Battlestar Galactica (1978 &amp; 2003)<br />Stargate SG1 &amp; Atlantis<br />Star Wars<br />V (1984)<br />Aliens<br />Civil Aviation

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE (CanOpener1256 @ Jul 23 2010, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks good .. but lookie what I found: laugh.gif http://www.bigbadtoy...amp;mode=retail

Click on that link (its safe) and see another starship I am drooling for. I could not find this by searching bigbad's site, but Google found it!!!

Also, nothing on Diamond's site about the new "E". I told them if they want to sell they need to announce these items on their main site and tell us where we can buy them. We shouldn't have to hunt and peck for these things.

Also, new bird of prey looks cool although a wee bit smaller than I expected.

What you see there is from February 2009 when BBTS first put the Excelsior & Enterprise B up for preorder, however they jumped the gun and were not suppose to place them up as word was not given from DST to do so. I still have both the Excelsior & Enterprise B in my BBTS preorders account which has the date 17th February 2009 as being placed and the estimate date of arrival you just have to ignore as thats just a computer rollover. As for the Enterprise E if you want to buy it from BBTS the link is here.

#22 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:27 AM

Well, I just put my pre-order through at BBTS for TWO of these "new" Enterprise-E's in the "Collector's Grade" packaging. Now if Rick adds these to NFCC, I'll gladly order a "Case of 4" again to go with my "Case of 4" from the second run of the original design. I am a self-admitted Enterprise-E addict, and I admittedly have a small fleet of these now; I might need to get some fishing line for my ceiling though, I might want to make one of these ships "fly" so to speak. smile.gif If I do wind up with six of these ships (the two I just pre-ordered plus a "Case of four,") I'll probably wind up giving at least one of my new ships to a friend who I gave the first run Enterprise-E to. He loves it, and if I had the money to buy him an Enterprise-D I would.

I really hope that DST includes a "play cover" with the updated paint scheme, but I know I shouldn't hold my breath. The electronics inside of the Enterprise-E are ridiculously simple to update, at least the "rice bulb" to LED conversion is ridiculously easy; just as Thomas E. Johnson whose done it several times, or anyone else whose cracked open their Ent-E and swapped out the rice bulbs for LEDs. If nothing else, DST could spring for the LEDs; the old Ent-E looks "dim" next to the Ent-D and the TOS/TWOK 1701s, and it's driving me crazy. I don't think that the inclusion of LEDs with the new paint jobs is too much to ask of DST, it's actually a very reasonable request. I also don't think that the "play cover" is too much to ask; the retooling required to include it is ridiculously minimal--heck DST could come up with a "plug" design like the one used for the Ent-D if they didn't want to include two covers, but they need something that's better than that...gaping hole in the bottom of the ship from the '07 run. Now if I wanted to push my luck, I'd ask for an "always on" option for the new LEDs, but that's at the bottom of my list...after the LEDs and the "play cover" or Ent-D style battery cover.

QUOTE (Thomas E. Johnson @ Jul 22 2010, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They show this off just after I went through the expense of have brand new custom decals for this ship designed specifically for it. rolleyes.gif

Tom, won't you still need the new custom decals for the custom ships that you're working on for me, especially the one with the custom registry number? By the way, if you could shoot me a PM with a status of those custom ships, I'd really appreciate it. biggrin.gif Don't worry, I still have plenty of the "regular" Enterprise-E's to customize. (Can you say "ready room" version? wink.gif)

Also, I took a closer look at the new ship compared to the old one, where should I even begin on the detail enhancements? Here's a short list:

1. Deeper reds on the engines
2. DETAIL on the nacelle pylons biggrin.gif
3. Accurate color scheme; less "white," more "gunmetal/gray-ish" like the NEM filming model
4. More aztecing, or at least more noticeable azetecing
5. DETAIL on the top of the saucer

Keep in mind, the above is going off of the BBTS photos. I'm more curious about what we can't tell from a simple photo, such as:

1. Whether or not the "blue" portions of the warp nacelles now light up
2. Whether or not the new ship utilizes LEDs or rice bulbs; come on DST--you sprang for LEDs on the TWOK 1701 when the 1701-A using the same mold had rice bulbs, spring for the LEDs on the new 1701-E please
3. Whether or not the battery cover now utilizes a "play cover" or "plug" akin to that for the Enterprise-D, or some variation thereof
4. Whether or not the sounds are the same as before; if DST did anything I hope that they only added sounds rather than altering and/or removing them the way that they did with the HD 1701
5. Whether or not the new ship will utilize the "Unified" packaging introduced with Trek XI (I hope it does)
6. Whether or not DST had the chance to retool the mold and add an "always on" light function to the ship

While I doubt #6 occured, #'s 1, 2, and 5 should be easy, #3 should be addressed in some way, and the importance of #4 is dependent on ones tastes. Maybe Chuck could do an "AskDST" dedicated solely to the new Enterprise-E as a special blog entry that would also be pinned to the top of the AA/DST section of TrekToy; it'd save us all a lot of repetitive questions, with the possible of exception of "when will it be released," which I'm sure is probably Chuck's least favorite question after the Enterprise-D arriving roughly a year "late" from his initial estimate. Of course, the "D" was well worth the wait, and I'd been waiting since 1992 for proper saucer separation, so I have no problem with patience for the Enterprise-E to be done correctly; I waited about ten years for the '07 ('06?) release to wash the tase of Playmates' disaster out of my mouth, and waiting five more years won't kill me.

All right, I'm done drooling over the new Enterprise-E; in any case, this is awesome news and I'm glad to have my pre-order placed with BBTS; like I said, I'll place one at NFCC as well should Rick add this to that site at some point.

#23 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (CanOpener1256 @ Jul 22 2010, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks good .. but lookie what I found: laugh.gif http://www.bigbadtoy...amp;mode=retail

Click on that link (its safe) and see another starship I am drooling for. I could not find this by searching bigbad's site, but Google found it!!!

The Excelsior was live, browsable, and (IIRC) searchable when it first went up over a year ago as a pre-order that got listed immediately after the first fair/con/whatever it was where it was first announced & shown. But after awhile, as with most extremely-far-in-advance pre-orders, they "cloaked" the listing. I also have the Ent-B on order from the same timeframe:
http://www.bigbadtoy...amp;mode=retail

Regarding this Enterprise E...you can bet the farm that all we're getting is a new paint job, and nothing else. In fact I will be surprised if even that is as significantly superior as all the hype suggests.

#24 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

Definitely going to pre order this ship - what I don't understand is why list it as a Star Trek: Nemesis ship? That movie was less than popular so you would think they would list it as a Star Trek: The Next Generation Ship.

#25 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (Whirlygig @ Jul 23 2010, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Excelsior was live, browsable, and (IIRC) searchable when it first went up over a year ago as a pre-order that got listed immediately after the first fair/con/whatever it was where it was first announced & shown. But after awhile, as with most extremely-far-in-advance pre-orders, they "cloaked" the listing. I also have the Ent-B on order from the same timeframe:
http://www.bigbadtoy...amp;mode=retail
True, although I wouldn't have posted the "cloaked" listing just yet--it makes the "Collector's Grade" upgrades usually sell out long before I, as well as others, have the money budgeted aside to buy the ship once it's actually about to be released. Granted, I think BBTS was the first place that we saw the pictures of the ship outside of Toyfair where it was announced. *In his best Scotty voice* But, Cap'n, a listing cannah be viewed when she's cloaked! (Okay, I should've saved that for the BoP, but I might not get a chance since it seems to be humming along nicely.) It looks like DST is keeping up the pattern of a starship "blitz" every other year here; observe:

2007: A second run of 1701-E's which were really a late-2006 release, the BD 1701-E, the Cage and WNMHGB 1701s, and I believe the TWOK 1701 was and the BD variant were also '07 releases.
2008: Nothing that I remember; maybe a simple variant or two that was bumped up or pushed back, but nothing major. This was during the Enterprise-D's design though, but Chuck's "release date" snafu made things seem worse than they were
2009: Lots of ships, simple variants include the HD and MU 1701s, while the 1701-D was the "flagship" of 2009, and the AGT-D was a "complex variant" giving us four ships; the TWOK 1701 was also reissued bring us up to five ships total, similar to what we saw in 2007.

2010: Nothing yet, but DST could surprise us with the Klingon BOP and bring the grand total of ship releases for 2010 up to one; I'd rather that they take their time though and knock my socks off like they did with the Enterprise-D.

2011: If the BOP (Bird of Prey, not Blow-out Preventer,) isn't released this year, you can bet it'll be a 2011 release if things go as Chuck seems to be suggesting that they likely will. The Ent-B and Excelsior will likely share a common mold the way that the Ent-D and AGT-D did, with the Ent-B getting the "additional parts" treatment as a "complex variant" of the Excelsior. DST is supposedly looking into another run of the Ent-E and has been for some time, so throw in the NEM Enterprise-E and that brings the potential 2011 total up to five, with one complex variant, one simple variant, and one reissue in the mix.

If I had to guess, I'd say this pattern will repeat for 2012 and 2013 as well, and I'm not even counting the Playmates ships from the movies which also have coincidentally fallen into this pattern. (Now if Playmates was smart, they'd have DST sculpt the Trek XII 1701 for them and share the credit for the ship rather than reusing the 2009 mold.)

QUOTE (Whirlygig @ Jul 23 2010, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regarding this Enterprise E...you can bet the farm that all we're getting is a new paint job, and nothing else. In fact I will be surprised if even that is as significantly superior as all the hype suggests.
In the past I would've agreed with you, but DST seems to treat variants--simple or otherwise--differently from standard reissues. A "standard reissue" is usually the same as the original run unless there's a glaring flaw. Examples include the TWOK 1701 where DST used a slightly darker plastic to reduce light-bleed, (Chuck acknowledged that he thought it could've been better) and supposedly any future runs of the 1701-D which will likely have the windows painted on that were accidentally left off of the initial run.

Variants on the other hand generally tend to receive a new paint job, maybe a retooled mold, new lighting, and usually a new sound chip. If the mold is retooled, the retooling may be retroactively applied to future runs of the ship that the variant is derived from. Examples include the following:

- The HD 1701 and the MU 1701, both of which have retooled saucer sections; the HD 1701 also has new LEDs, and both have new sound chips. To a lesser extent, The Cage and WNMHGB 1701s both have new sound chips and some minor retooling around the engines, but the same saucer from the initial mold. For those who are unaware, the HD 1701's saucer is a single piece of plastic; there are new screws and thus no "screw covers" on the bottom of the saucer as there were with the initial run.

- The AGT-D, if you consider it a variant, has major retooling as well as a new sound chip.

The Enterprise-E was a unique situation. Art Asylum was being acquired by DST while the ship was being designed and things were overlooked as a result of miscommunication. Art Asylum's initial prototype had to be totally redesigned because there wasn't enough space for the batteries. The end result was a ship that was designed by two companies, DST wanted the "talking" starship, so we got Picard's voice in addition to sound FX. Art Asylum didn't view LEDs as economical in 2006, so they used rice bulbs. DST and Art Asylum miscommunication lead to the missing lights in the "blue" portion of the warp nacelles, the unpainted pylons, and the lack of a "play cover" or suitable "universal" battery cover. The battle damaged variant lacks any updates because it was released as part of the regular Enterprise-E's second production run. It's worth noting that the second--and much shorter production run occurred in a "gap" between the initial release of the Enterprise-E, where pre-order numbers dictated the need for a second run, and the time when the Enterprise-E actually began making there way into people's hands. Once people started receiving their Enterprise-E's and posting pictures, people began canceling their pre-orders over the missing paint apps, missing lights, and in some cases, the lack of a play cover or battery cover that's suitable for people who "suspend" their ships for display. By this point, the second run of Enterprise-E's and the battle damaged variants were on a slow boat from China and DST couldn't simply "cancel" production. Even with the quality drop, the Enterprise-E sold rather well, simply because it was so much better than the two pitiful attempts made by Playmates toys, even without a play cover, proper lighting, or decent paint apps, DST's ship at least managed to have the right shape and proportions. (While I can forgive the First Contact ship, I can't forgive the abysmal Insurrection retread when Playmates had the chance to fix their mess and didn't.)

Art Asylum, or rather Play Along's Art Asylum handled things differently than DST. Play Along would do "silent" update as ships were put into second and third runs. The NX-01's first run and battle damaged variant were simultaneous releases so there weren't any major differences, but the second run, later reissued by DST, featured improved warp nacelles that set the precedent for DST's ships when Art Asylum realized that copying Playmates' style of nacelles was a dumb idea. Likewise, the MU NX-01 features the updated mold, even though the NX-01 wasn't reissued in its regular form, and the MU variant was a DST release.

Similarly, the 1701-A was released under Play Along's control of Art Asylum, but a second run was never produced. A "limited edition" Search for Spock version--mislabeled as a TWOK ship was released, but it was a simple paint variant; this was a system that Play Along started, and Art Asylum carried over to DST up until they realized they could do better after the Enterprise-E's battle damaged variant was nothing more than a repaint. In fact, DST's next "main" ship was the TWOK 1701, and that was nothing more than the 1701-A mold with some minor retooling, a new sound chip, and LEDs. I don't have the battle damaged variant of the TWOK 1701, but I believe it was more than a simple repaint, and if it wasn't, it was the last simple repaint before DST switched to the "new soundboard" system that they've been using ever since. Of course, the TWOK ship didn't need a sound update, it had every line of dialogue an every effect either variation of the ship needed to be a TWOK ship; if DST had release a Search for Spock variant, it probably would have had a soundboard update. My point is that DST could keep the sound board--there's no reason to change it, but they could also change the rice bulbs to LEDs and tweak the ship since this appears to be a "new production" rather than a reissue, and DST seems to only justify retooling with the inclusion of a "new production" of some sort, like the HD version of the TOS 1701, or any of its other variants.

QUOTE (1701 @ Jul 23 2010, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Definitely going to pre order this ship - what I don't understand is why list it as a Star Trek: Nemesis ship? That movie was less than popular so you would think they would list it as a Star Trek: The Next Generation Ship.

That's actually a good question 1701. Technically, the current ship IS the "Nemesis" ship; the mold is designed to match the digital model from Nemesis rather than the "physical model" from "First Contact" and certain scenes in "Insurrection." Insurrection had a digital model for a few scenes, but it was designed to match the physical model. By the time NEM was released, the whole ship was done digitally and John Eaves tweaked it to include detail that he couldn't include on the physical ship but had initially wanted to, which is why I hope that if we ever see a "Director's Edition" of First Contact and INS, that it'll be updated to include the Enterprise-E as its designer originally intended it to.

I can think of a few reasons why the ship is being referred to as the "Nemesis" version, including:
1. The 2011 release date; Nemesis' 10th Anniversary will be in 2012, but if my chart above holds consistent, it makes sense for DST to release the ship a year early rather than a year late; besides the film was in production in 2001 so meh, celebrate the 10th anniversary of the film's production instead of its release if you need to rationalize the early release. wink.gif

2. The Enterprise-E wasn't a "Next Generation" ship; calling it a First Contact ship would be more appropriate but as noted above, the design was different.

3. As people begin to watch Nemesis either for the first time, or without being blinded by the Insurrection and Enterprise-induced "Trek hatred" of the early part of the last decade, they realize that it's not a bad film, and is actually much better than they may have previously given it credit for. Remember, in 2002 the previous Trek film was Insurrection which was almost as bad as Star Trek V, and the current TV series was ENT, which people wanted canceled; it didn't help that the show was in its really abysmal phase either. The leaked Nemesis script didn't help things when people began to complain because a scene that they really wanted was cut, such as the seatbelt joke, (later included with deleted scenes,) footage of the U.S.S. Titan that was never filmed , and a much longer Riker/Troi wedding. The real problem was that people wanted to see "First Contact" quality, to counter-balance Insurrection's screw-up, and that was simply unrealistic. Now that people are looking at Nemesis objectively, it's not given the same type of response that it was ten years ago. In fact, I'd even say Nemesis is the most underrated Trek film ever produced. I watched it again recently and noticed that there are a lot of similarities to the new film--and unlike the new film, Nemesis' "car chase" actually served a plot point and wasn't stupid or contrived. There are other similar scenes where it seems like Nemesis actually may have been better, but the mood surrounding Trek in 2002 was "it sucks," and in 2009 was "it's going to be perfect," even if it wasn't. Once the blinders are off for either bias, both films clock in as being pretty decent, rather than at the extremes that they were greeted with.

4. DST needs a name for the ship to distinguish it from the first release, calling it the "HD 1701-E" might not be bad, but it could raise a few eyebrows and conjure up images of the defects on the HD 1701. Calling it the Blu-Ray addition would require royalties to the Blu-Ray Disc Alliance, which is primarily Sony, and seems kind of contrived.

5. Calling it the "deluxe edition" would be a good idea, but if DST really does look into a "deluxe" line of ships one day, this could lead to confusion down the road.

I think that calling it the "Nemesis" edition is just fine, I'm more interested in the ship than it's name, and as long as the ship itself is awesome, DST can name it the "Klingon's call this a garbage scow" edition for all I care, although Mr. Scott might want them to rephrase that. wink.gif

Seriously though, I think DST went with the "Nemesis" edition because the mold is already based off of the Nemesis model and the paint scheme is now accurate. BBTS isn't calling this a "limited edition" yet, and I really hope that it's not a limited edition run, but a new "standard" model. It looks like they're rerunning the "old" 1701-E as well though, maybe to generate hype for the new ship, or maybe in limited quantities alongside the new ship. Either way, my orders with BBTS are placed, and I'm looking forward to this ship just as I did when the first Enterprise-E was announced from Art Asylum way back when.

I have to compliment Chuck for his accuracy here; he did say they were going to be rerunning the Enterprise-E at some point soon likely, and it looks like that point is quickly approaching. Now I just hope that other people pre-order since we all know that's the only way to ensure a DST release of anything these days. I've already pre-ordered, and I hope others are as well. smile.gif

#26 CanOpener1256

CanOpener1256

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:anything Star Trek, especially ship models from Art Asylum and others.

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

bummer news on the Excelisor page .. thought I discovered a surprise! I like the "new" E but unless the lights are upgraded also, a new paint job is just not enough for me. It does look good and they also fixed the pylons.

#27 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:ST props, models, and Lightsabers OH MY!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

Since I no longer have an "E" model, this new one will do quite nicely! Gonna wait for Newforce to put one up for sale, then get it as I've always liked Rick's service. smile.gif

-Kyp

#28 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:42 PM

Great stuff, I'd more than welcome an update to the 'E', and I can't wait to get that Bird of Prey, looks gorgeous. smile.gif

#29 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (Jay K @ Jul 25 2010, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great stuff, I'd more than welcome an update to the 'E', and I can't wait to get that Bird of Prey, looks gorgeous. smile.gif

See Jay K, DST is still announcing and releasing new stuff; they're just giving the figures a quick break. smile.gif The new "E" may very well be the definitive version of the ship, at least in toy form. The BoP definitely looks cool, but I know it's still a ways off; part of the reason that we know the BoP is a BoP is because Chuck let it slip that it was going to take some time to get the landing gear and retractable wings on the "alien ship" perfected in an affordable manner. Obviously the retractable wings and landing gear gave away what the ship actually was and Chuck supposedly caught some flack from the DST higher ups for letting that information slip out. I don't mind the wait as long as the ship is awesome--it took the Enterprise-D a year longer than expected but it was worth the wait. smile.gif I've already pre-ordered two of the new "E" and I'm now in the "when is it going to get here" phase of toy collecting; hopefully DST will surprise us like they did with the HD 1701 and MU 1701 and the new 1701-E will show up earlier than expected. Of course, January's only half a year away. tongue.gif

QUOTE (CanOpener1256 @ Jul 23 2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bummer news on the Excelisor page .. thought I discovered a surprise! I like the "new" E but unless the lights are upgraded also, a new paint job is just not enough for me. It does look good and they also fixed the pylons.

CanOpener1256, I have to respectfully disagree with you. While I'll certainly be LOUD and CRANKY if DST can't spring for LEDs when fans are cracking open their current Enterprise-E's and adding them themselves, the paint job alone is enough to justify the upgrade for me. As you mentioned, they "fixed the pylons," and that's admittedly a major selling point for me--the thing that irked me more than the missing "play cover," more than the "blue" portion of the nacelles not lighting, and even a little more than the missing LEDs was the unpainted/half-painted nacelle pylons and the missing detail. Granted, I understand why it happened, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it. Of course I was still happy to have DST's Ent-E after what Playmates Toys gave us. You'd give me an unpainted DST Enterprise-E, or even a DST Enterprise-E that's still in "kit form," unassembled from the factory, and I'd take it over what Playmates put out any day of the year. They had an excuse with "First Contact," and I gave them a pass, but they had no excuse with "Insurrection," when they carted out their inaccurate Enterprise-E and retooled it rather than redesigning it.

The nacelle pylons are now painted on the top and the bottom, and the detailing on the new "E" is perfect. For an SRP of $50 rather than $35, I do hope that DST springs for the LEDs; they wouldn't have to retool anything, they'd simply have to replace the rice bulbs in the assembly line with LEDs. Both Prometheus and Thomas E. Johnson and possibly others have opened up the Enterprise-E, un-soldered the rice bulbs and soldered LEDs with the same voltage in their place. It's very easy to do as long as you have a lead-free soldering iron and LEDs that are of the correct voltage; I believe at least one of the aforementioned members recommended Radioshack for the LEDs. I also have the "circuit map" that someone created here for connected both a red and a blue LED in place of the sole red rice bulb in each nacelle; again, it's not necessary to retool anything.

Of course, CanOpener, if you ask Chuck whether or not the Enterprise-E includes LEDs, maybe he'll tell you. We could see LEDs in this version of the Enterprise-E, it seems like a simple update, and DST added them to the MU NX-01 and the TWOK 1701, both of which were molds that originally contained rice bulbs as the regular and battle-damaged NX-01 and the 1701-A respectively; I see no reason why the new 1701-E couldn't get the LED treatment as well. If it doesn't, well let's just say I'll need another spudger or two (soldering tools, A.K.A. Apple Inc's "black stick," for opening virtually everything that they make,) and another one of these ships to add LEDs to.

QUOTE (Kyp Durron @ Jul 24 2010, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since I no longer have an "E" model, this new one will do quite nicely! Gonna wait for Newforce to put one up for sale, then get it as I've always liked Rick's service. smile.gif

Aww Kyp, what happened to your Enterprise-E? Don't worry, Rick will likely get his "cut" from me as well if I'm able to afford a "Case-o'-E's" again. I actually bought Rick's last case of the second run with the intention of customizing them whenever I got more creative than usual. I figured if I didn't botch any of them, I might have some left over that I could give to friends as gifts.

It's funny, I generally purchase two of every ship that DST puts out, and I have three TWOK 1701s since I wanted to see if the light bleed was significantly improved on the most recent run, (it's better than before, but could still use improvement,) but the 1701-E is the exception to this rule. You know your an Enterprise-E addict when you forget how many of them you actually own!

Basically, I intended to originally purchase two of them, but a miscommunication with my father resulted in me receiving three of them at launch. I gave one to a friend who really wanted an Enterprise-E, and kept the other two for myself.( That friend saw the new "E" in the BBTS newsletter and has been drooling over it just as much as I have.)

At some point down the road, my Dad forgot that he had purchased the "regular" Enterprise-E for me, and bought two more with the battle damaged variant, intending to give me all four ships as a birthday gift, which he did. By the time my birthday rolled around, he had purchased the ships so many months earlier that it was impossible to return them, so I effectively found myself in possession of four regular Enterprise-E's. By this point I was knee-deep in my junior year of college, which consisted of six courses at two different schools, (you don't want to know,) and I barely had time to breathe, so two extra ships were the least of my concerns. When the fall semester ended, I contacted Thomas E. Johnson and enlisted his services to upgrade my Enterprise-E; the nacelle pylons, rice bulbs, and missing play covers were driving me nuts. At some point I asked Thomas E. Johnson if he could do an Enterprise-E with a custom name/registry number; he said yes, so I further enlisted his services to create a second custom ship with the aforementioned registry number.

By this time, all four of my Enterprise-E's had been put to good use, one was on display on my headboard, one was sealed in its box, one was being upgraded by Thomas E. Johnson, and the last one was being upgraded and customized by Thomas E. Johnson. Of course, this "good luck" streak was too good to last, and one night when I went to hit the lights/sounds on the Enterprise-E on my headboard, it started randomly cutting out and skipping sounds, but played others without a problem. I tried the reset button, but that didn't fix it. DST made it sound like they might not be touching the Enterprise-E again for awhile, (this was some time ago,) and I naturally panicked. I was planning to purchase some Enterprise-E's to customize myself, but with one of my ships being on the fritz, drastic measures had to be taken. Having sworn that I saw an Enterprise-E at Mid-town comics in NYC that had a "darker" and "more accurate" paint scheme than the one sitting in my bedroom, as well as a slightly different box, curiosity admittedly got the better of me, and I ordered the last "Case of four" that Rick had at NFCC from the second run of Enterprise-E's. From this purchased, I learned that DST had done a second run of the Enterprise-E, and that the BD 1701-E was packaged with the regular "E" in this particular run. I learned that the second run was much smaller than the first run. I learned that the ship that I thought I saw was likely my mind playing tricks on me, combined with me looking at then-new Phaser variants sitting next to it, buying a TRU-exclusive Star Wars toy from the Times' Square TRU, "shopping" in the Fifth Avenue Apple Store, (well getting information on the computer I was about to purchase,) and generally being really tired and falling asleep with my best friend on a commuter train taking us back to our stop in NJ. (Don't worry, we didn't miss our stop.) I also learned that I'm a putz: It never occurred to me to check the batteries in my 1701-E because it was still able to finish entire sound FX, or several of them, and the problem seemed sporadic. I once again have to thank Thomas E. Johnson, because he was the one who suggested changing the batteries to me. I always thought that sound FX got slower as the batteries drained, but apparently that's not always the case with the Enterprise-E. Let me reiterate that: I'm a putz, but I'm now a putz with one additional Enterprise-E. wink.gif

So, if I've counted them correctly and there aren't anymore of them lurking around and multiplying like tribbles, I should have a total of seven regular and three battle damaged Enterprise-E"s for a grand total of 10 Enterprise-E's currently in my possession. This excludes any pre-orders, including the pre-orders for the two new Enterprise-E's. The morale of the story: you can never how too many Enterprise-E's. tongue.gif

Seriously though, I really want to do a "gold/ready room" custom with one of my extra ships soon. After that, maybe I should try my hand at a custom name/registry number on one of the ships, does anyone like the way "U.S.S. Tribble" sounds? wink.gif In any case, that's the story of how I wound up with a small fleet of Enterprise-E's, which in an odd way seems to have worked out rather well for me.

#30 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

I have, indeed, noted some sculpt retooling. If you will observe the aft most lifeboats on the saucer section, the ones above the impulse engines. Those were not present on the previous Enterprise E release from AA/DST. Also, the warp nacelle pylons no longer have that odd horizontal, toy-like crook at the bottom where it connects to the secondary hull. It's possible that the added lifeboats are the result of decals. But even if that is the case, I am still overjoyed at the aspect of having a better painted ship. I have a guy that will update the electronics for me, no problem.

In regards to the speculation that this is, indeed, a "First Contact" variant, I must disagree. The colors and aztec patterns on the First Contact studio model were far more mild, as was the color contrast in general. The grays are much richer, even darker. I will provide examples.
Enterprise E 1
Enterprise E 2

#31 LT CMDR DATA

LT CMDR DATA

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

i think the life boats that was missing near the impluse looks like decal which is fine, and i found another pic of the E and i see in the card displayed it said "star trek: nemesis, Enterprise-E" also it said "$49.99, fall 2010" so this is the nemesis not first contact E. can't wait for new force to star pre-order this so i get mines!!

#32 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

I dunno, the more I look at the SDCC pics, the more I am sure I see depth in those lifeboats. I think they may have actually been retooled. As far as the electronics go, I could care less if the lighting and such is upgraded. *shrug*

Edit: I have looked at the SDCC Image that shows her bow under the magnifier and those lifeboats on the back of the saucer are definitely recessed. I also got the opinion of a good friend of mine and he agrees. I think we can safely say that she has been retooled!!!! smile.gif

#33 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

They seemed to have raised the price significantly as well, something they wouldn't have done if there hadn't been significant revisions made. So, at that price, retooling of the molds and new electronics are not out of the question, as that is the same price point for completely new releases.

#34 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (Stormfury_Echo @ Jul 26 2010, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have, indeed, noted some sculpt retooling. If you will observe the aft most lifeboats on the saucer section, the ones above the impulse engines. Those were not present on the previous Enterprise E release from AA/DST. Also, the warp nacelle pylons no longer have that odd horizontal, toy-like crook at the bottom where it connects to the secondary hull...In regards to the speculation that this is, indeed, a "First Contact" variant, I must disagree. The colors and aztec patterns on the First Contact studio model were far more mild, as was the color contrast in general. The grays are much richer, even darker. I will provide examples.

Stormfury_Echo, I'm going to take a closer look at the changes that you pointed out on the new ship. I knew something looked "different" between the pictures of the current one and the old one on BBTS, but I thought it was just the way the photo had been altered in Photoshop, I'll have to take a closer look and compare the pictures to the SDCC ones. The ship is definitely a Nemesis ship, not a "First Contact" variant; you're correct that the grays are darker; the NEM version of the ship was less of a pearlescent color and more of a "gunmetal" akin to the NX-01 or the Defiant. Likewise, AA/DST always said that the "E" they had created originally was the NEM "E," because it was what John Eaves considered the "definitive" version of the ship, so maybe they simply thought they could refine her a bit. smile.gif

QUOTE (LT CMDR DATA @ Jul 26 2010, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i found another pic of the E and i see in the card displayed it said "star trek: nemesis, Enterprise-E" also it said "$49.99, fall 2010" so this is the nemesis not first contact E. can't wait for new force to star pre-order this so i get mines!!

It's definitely a second take on the NEM Enterprise-E, LT CMDR DATA. The day that the link to BBTS originally went up, Joel had it listed as the "Nemesis Enterprise-E" I believe, or some variation of that phrase that begin with "Nemesis," but he quietly changed it that afternoon to simply read "U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-E;" likewise, the link on the first page simply refers to it as the "new version." The "old" Enterprise-E also had a description change on BBTS; the "U.S.S." prefix was dropped from the item name when "Nemesis" was dropped from the new Ent-E's name.

I also noticed the price increase; the original Enterprise-E sold for $34.75 on BBTS, but the link to the original run is now "cloaked," and listed as sold out. The original version of the ship is available for pre-order with a different product code and a $35.00 dollar price tag that's marked down from a $40.00 dollar price tag I believe. The new ship carries a list price of $49.99, with BBTS selling it for $39.99. Likewise, the old ship is expected back in stock in Q3 2010, although I think that's an automated roll-over, and the new ship is listed as January 2011, likely because there's more than a simple repaint going on here. It looks like Rick will be selling another "Case o' E's" to me in the not-too-distant future.

QUOTE (knightone @ Jul 27 2010, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They seemed to have raised the price significantly as well, something they wouldn't have done if there hadn't been significant revisions made. So, at that price, retooling of the molds and new electronics are not out of the question, as that is the same price point for completely new releases.

That's true, knightone, the higher price leads me to believe that Stormfury_Echo is correct about the retooling. Likewise, if the ship has indeed been retooled, you can almost bet that we'll be getting LEDs in the new version to go with the new paint job. DST slightly retooled the 1701-A mold when they created the TWOK 1701, and one of the first changes was the switch from rice bulbs to LEDs. Likewise, the LEDs in the HD 1701 differ from those in the original 1701; rather than glowing "red," they "pulse" amber (yellow) and green to create the "spinning" effect in the "orange slice" portion of the nacelle. My defective HD 1701 admittedly had one of the "orange slices" fall off so I took a peak at just what color the LEDs were, which is how I know this.

Now the question is, if DST really retooled the mold as significantly as it seems that they did, did they also add an "always on" switch for the lights to this new version, and did they retool the battery cover to bring it up to par with that of the Enterprise-D, or add in a "play cover" when they were retooling the ship?

It really looks like the new Enterprise-E is the ship that we've all been wanting, not that the first one was bad mind you. Clearly DST wants to do the Enterprise-E justice though, and the retooling seems to be their way of attempting to make sure that this ship makes up for the missing detail on the first one. I'd be surprised if it doesn't include LEDs if DST is retooling the mold; that generally seems to be the way that they've justified LED upgrades in the past, so hopefully that'll hold true here as well. In any case, I'm really looking forward to this ship.

#35 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

Shame about it not being the FC version but still, very awesome ship and will probably buy it as long as it's of a good quality. Could anyone post the pics they find of this toy here? I've found a few but I wonder if there are more out there of different angles?

#36 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:45 PM

honestly, I'm kind of scared for them to include LED's, because the light bleed would, no doubt, be horrendous. The other issue that I am concerned with is that they're going to paint the windows. My beef with that idea is that, while it works in theory, is that they are far too small to correctly paint without all of the slop and mess that we got with the TWOK Enterprise.
The LED's I can cope with. A simple blacking of the interior of the mold will solve that dilemma. The windows, on the other hand..... If they slop those up, it's going to be exceedingly difficult to clean up without ruining that very complex paint scheme that they put on it.

#37 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:11 AM

I dont remember the Ent-D having major issues with light bleed. I think the only one that had a major issue was the TWOK Ent because it used that pearly white plastic/paint that didnt really give the ship a good light barrier. If they put a base coat of primer over the plastic model which they did with the 1701 and Ent D, the light bleed should be pretty minimal. I too am worrried at the intricatness of the paint scheme because any company could easily mess that up and even a small mistake is hugely noticeable and will likely ruin your opinion of the ship.

#38 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

I think after the WoK ship which by the way, had the plastic been any thinner it would have been the cloaked variant... DST worked hard to make sure that light bleed was kept to a minimum - as I recall the only issue with the D was that some of the bridge domes weren't blacked out on the inside resulting in the entire bridge button lighting up rather than just the bridge dome.... I think (hopefully) DST have made sure that the ships get better and better as each one is released so the Enterprise - E should be even better than the Enterprise - D - here's hoping anyway!!

DST have made their job harder by being careless in the past in that with even some of the minor flaws could mean all the difference between success and failure...

#39 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:18 AM

I guess we'd better start getting on Chuck about these concerns before it gets too close to release to have anything done about potentially overlooked flaws.

#40 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

Even with the light bleed... I LOVE the pearlescent paint job on TWOK Enterprise, and just want to take this opportunity to give props to DST for making it. If I were playing with the buttons every time I picked up the thing, I'd probably have cared a bit more since I'd see it all the time. Honestly though, it's mostly just sitting there, and when the lights aren't on, I don't notice a thing.

As far as the E-E is concerned, I don't understand why we needed a retooling of it. It has slight nits you can make on it, but overall I think it was a pretty good release with a paint job that could have been better. I'd rather we'd gotten a repaint and DST had saved the money to give us a Defiant, Voyager, TOS Romulan BOP, or TOS (or TMP for greater detail) Klingon Battlecruiser before we saw a retooled E. I know a lot of people have been clamoring for it, though, so I guess I'm just out of step.

Come to think of it... why hasn't DST gotten us a TOS Klingon battlecruiser?! Simply by painting a bird on the bottom, they could make a Romulan variant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users