Photo

Anyone Else Totally SOL for Trek XI Figures?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Frontier

Frontier

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:03 AM

So... I added up what it would cost to pre-order all the new Trek XI figures, plus playsets, plus accessories.

It came to a little under $500.

In this economy, I just can't swing that.

Not when I have a $300 MR Tricorder coming in spring, as well. Not to mention a handful of other toys and collectibles in those months.

So I've just ordered the playsets and accessories. Playsets are rare in Trek, so I've got to get them. Accessories are the most fun. My figures mainly sit on shelves.

I wish you could pick and choose instead of just buying entire sets. Much as I'd like to, I know I can't afford such. That said, I want a "Prime Spock" figure from each line.

The $45 barbie dolls are outrageous, IMHO. Would not buy them even if money wasn't an issue.

So who else is SOL on the new Trek XI stuff due to money?

#2 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:03 AM

Money is a bit tight here too. Other than the DS9 figures from DST, I've pretty much cut all figures out of my collecting. The only things I've preordered from the movie line are the role-play toys and the ships. I've ordered multiples of each of those, though.

I'll probably also pick up Prime Spock from all the lines. I want to see the playsets before purchasing them, though. But if I do end up getting some 3 3/4" figures to go with them. It all depends.

The role-play and ships are the only must-haves for me.

#3 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

Role play is what I'm looking forward to the most.

With a few exceptions, I honestly expect that most of the figures will hit the clearance bin at some point. Theaters rotate the movies in and out so fast these days that there is little to no time for the retail tie in to grab unless it absolutely blows people away.

The Iron Man figures are pretty much the only new property that I've seen that consistently seems to sell through, but Hulk, Speed Racer, Indiana Jones, and even all the batman stuff ended up on discount at my local wallys.

So it's not that I don't want Star Trek to do well, and I think the movie will be enjoyable, but I really doubt it's going to have the kind of mass appeal with the kids and soccer-moms it will need to really sell well.

I really hope I'm wrong, but time will tell! So my point being is if money is tight, do like your saying get what you really want and wait to pick up the rest on clearance.

#4 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

I bit the bullet and signed up for the entire thing from New Force. Here's why. I understand that the stores are going to carry these figures in 3 waves. Rick is going to sell all three waves at one time. In the stores if these things tank, I doubt that waves 2 and 3 are ever seen making mine even cooler. Figures from waves 2 and 3 might become are rare as chicken teeth.

Sure I'll have to make a few payments on the old CC but I won't have to spend a dime on fuel trying to find them all.

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (FHC @ Jan 21 2009, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the stores if these things tank, I doubt that waves 2 and 3 are ever seen making mine even cooler.

If your going to get them all anyway, that is the best way to go, and I've hit jackpot that way myself on occasion.

#6 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:16 PM

I will be getting most of the regular uniformed 3 3/4" figures and the bridge set. And maybe a couple of the 12" figures but that will probably be it for Playmates.

I have set myself a budget based (loosely) off of DST's release schedule and what I only realy realy want. That way I can save a little for the Playmates stuff and still get the DST stuff that I want. There is way to much stuff coming out. So there is no way I will be able to get it all.

#7 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

I think i'll get the 12 inch collectors figures and of course the Enterprise ship - but for me, that will be it from Playmates.

#8 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

I'll get a few of the 3 3/4" figures and maybe one or two 12" dolls if the quality's there. If my kids want some, I'll get them as well.

And the communicator looks cool.

Shouldn't be a problem.

#9 landocolt45

landocolt45

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:35 PM

I'm not buying anything unless I actually like the movie. Since Abrams said he is making this for movie fans and not Trek fans, it sounds even more doubtful. I'm going to wait until some of this stuff hits clearance if I want any-it's not a priority to me.

#10 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:55 PM

Im completely sold on the 3 3/4" line. It think thats going to totally rock andreally hope DST jumps on board. At the very least I can recreat some of those Star Trek X-Men scenes with the new cast!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users