26 replies to this topic

#21 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Sep 7 2007, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Mirror Mirror figures also seem to have the same cheaper material.

I gather they didn't have as much money to put in the line by the time. I believe the last few 9" waves warmed shelves for a long time?

Yes, they warmed the shelves for a while, especially the KB Toys exclusives that were priced at 35 bucks a piece. Most of those went on clearance and sold for a fraction of that price i think.

#22 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:27 PM

Just out of currosity, what did the 9" figures originally retail for?

#23 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Sep 7 2007, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just out of currosity, what did the 9" figures originally retail for?

Walmart carried them for $13.88 a piece if memory serves. There were exclusives through Target that i think may have been going for 17 bucks or so. The Kbtoys exclusives were about 35 bucks, but they carried some reissues that were widely available at other stores, and they went for 10 to 15 bucks i think. The 12" figures normally went for 20 bucks for the wide distrubution figures and the Kbtoys exclusives were 45 to 50 bucks i think.

#24 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Writing, collecting Star trek figures, movies, Tennis

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE(Shinzon @ Jul 10 2007, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been looking at eBay pages for ST Playmates stuff. I remember when you would pay upwards of $5 for one 4.5 inch figure. Now it seems no one is buying them at any price. (I saw one auction, now expired) for 3 or 4 9 inch figures for $5, no reserve and no one bid. Is Trek becoming a huge sellers market and no one buying anymore? It seems so strange to think that almost none of the trek stuff is being bid on anymore.

Anyone else see this trend, or am I misinterpreting the trend?

I jus think the interest in Star Trek is going greatly out of phase...though I myself am trying to collect figures off of ebay. The only problem with only four figures is that would only make a small dent on my checklist.

#25 kerowack

kerowack

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:38 PM

I JUST got into playmates collecting (after getting my AA/DST stuff caught up to my liking...every TOS and most TNG)....

I've gotten the best deals.

15 bucks with 8 dollars shipping for EVERY SINGLE 4.5 inch TOS figure EVER made (exception of transporter figures).

28 bucks (combined shipping with above item) for every transporter TOS figure except Rand and Chapel...

10 bucks for every TOS movie figure....this lot was MOC.

EVERYTHING is as mint as can be....and all figures are complete with stands and accessories.

an entire TOS 4.5 playmates collection for about 50 bucks...I was VERY happy and figured that I'd get sniped on all auctions, but I didn't. Things ARE cheap in playmates land.

I've got 35 TNG (MOC) figures AND the Bridge for a combined 55 bucks....beat that!

The playmates figures are NOT moving....and now that I have them, I love them more than any figures in my collection. The TNG crew and bridge are really nice (and I got to put the stickers on my bridge because it was mint in the box!)

#26 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

I have a few of the Playmates and it sounds like you got a deal. Enjoy.

#27 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

Too many people are trying to sell their old Playmates figures presumably to make room for their current AA/DST figures, or for their new Playmates Star Trek XI movie figures. Throw in a bad economy (entertainment is the first thing to be cut from people's budgets,) and an oversaturated eBay and you have a pretty good understanding of why those Trek figures aren't selling. Buyer's can't afford the figures at dirt cheap prices and sellers can't turn a profit on them; in essence, this is reflective of the entire economic crisis.

Of course, then there are eBay sellers who are totally insane, and unfortunately I don't mean "insane," in the sense of hand them "Psycho Toyz for Krazy Kidz" insane, but rather "how much can I list this toy for" insane. I'd call these people "scalpers," but to be a scalper, you actually have to know the value of the item you're scalping, and I truly think that these sellers are ignorant in regards to pricing.

For example, in the past week I've seen multiple $150+ dollar "First Contact" Playmates Enterprise-E listings on eBay. After the AA/DST ship was released, the demand for, and subsequent value of the Playmates ship dropped greatly. The most collectors seem to be willing to pay for that toy now is $50.00 if they're desperate. Some collectors might be willing to pay you $20 just to take the thing off of their hands. ($5 to buy it, $5 to ship it, and $5 to blow it up and post the video on YouTube.) Simply put, the Playmates Enterprise-E is an unpopular item with a ridiculous ($150 dollar) price tag. Meanwhile, the AA/DST Enterprise-E can still be had with some searching, and if AA/DST ever updates their Enterprise-E (play cover for battery compartment/LED lighting for fully lit warp nacelles,) you can pretty much bet that the demand for the Playmates ship will decrease even further.

Then there's the U.S.S. Voyager NCC-74656. If you can find one, expect the accepted form of payment to be one of your limbs, even in this economy Voyager is a rare item and commands a good deal of money. I admittedly am looking for a MISB Playmates Voyager, but I simply cannot justify paying over $200 for a ship that originally cost me $45--not when the proportioning is wrong, the detail is off, and the economy is this bad. Nevertheless, scalpers continue to profit off of this ship because its rare.

The "1701" figures that brought the Playmates line to its knees also still command money as do the Voyager figures, presumably because those are harder to find than most others.

So to sum things up, if an item is rare, it's probably going to sell, even in this market, but if an item was fairly common (TNG figures and an Enterprise-E anyone?) or unpopular, it's going to sit on ebay--even if the price is decent. This is just what I've observed though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users