Photo

Mego Corporation Revival - Could this mean new Star Trek toys?

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#21 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:19 AM

I don't think this will turn out to be much more than a quick nostalgia cash grab. In fact I'm certain of it. Shame those idiots in licensing demanded conformity to the current Trek packaging style, bet they will lose sales from that. Target has had a "nostalgia" end cap for about a year now where they have several identical-to-original-issue items. From colorforms to My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, Gumby, Stretch Armstrong, and more. These seem like the next offerring on the same endcap. And that packaging update will clash with the gimmick hard.

Interesting thought, I envisioned these being in the collector section that's usually in/near electronics where they sell the Funko and McFarlane stuff. In any case I expect these to stick around long enough to get some good clearance prices. Not sure I can see getting these even when they get to the $5 price range though.

#22 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:07 PM

Looks like you unloaded your DSTs in the nick of time, Gothneo! I'm still sitting on mine deciding what to do...

Lol! I was just thinking that... I even had some Mego originals (Loose) that I unloaded... though maybe those have long since bottomed out. In the end only the Romulan really got any kinda cash and excitement.

Hmmm... they are adding "Married with Children"... I might go for a Kelly Bundy  :lol:  :P

#23 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:45 PM

Different strokes, for different folks. Funko and Super7 both are making it big off of nostalgia. I wish I would have found that Golden Girls Reaction figure boxed set. What that things going for I could easily eat a few steak dinners. I think the concept might do just alright but I agree, its not for everybody.

#24 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:09 AM

Ok, I see some new figures in this announcement, but some of them are already covered. DST did some trek, they stalled before they got to the red shirts though. Planet of the Apes (not mentioned?) was two waves, Married with Children was done as well.
Whats going to be different, maybe we can get Marvel figures, without having to pay for three costumes with one body...

#25 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:11 AM

Whats going to be different, maybe we can get Marvel figures, without having to pay for three costumes with one body...

Did those Marvel figures have a much higher MSRP than others?

#26 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

Wow. I didn't realize they did Married w/ Children previously... those look terrible! Just looking at some of what came out is reminding me why I got rid of my Trek figures. They just don't speak to me I guess. but hey.. if someone enjoys them, its all good as far as I'm concerned.

#27 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:58 PM

It wasnt Mego, it was one of the other companies, Figures that made them. I just wonder why its one of the choices, unless they make them better.
The marvel figures, by DST sold for $80, having three heads/costumes and one body. I guess if you buy lots of extra bodies, you get all the variants...

#28 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:07 AM

Yeah I figured that the married w/ children wasn't actually Mego... rather Mego inspired replicas as Mego went defunct in 1983 and Married with children 1st aired in 1987. 

I assume that the new Mego is just buying up molds and punching out product... I also see Firefly and charmed are listed as properties... did someone make those rpeviously? or are they actually something new?

#29 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:45 PM

It seems they are out now, according to eBay, Mirror Kirk and Spock two pack, Checkov and Sulu so far

#30 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

They are on Target.com... but not available to e-purchase.

#31 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

I saw them at a Target yesterday.  Not on the shelf yet but in boxes on a cart.  Target is doing their reset at every store near me this week so they will probably be up soon.

I have also seen photos on Instagram; they were shown stocked on their own endcap along with the figures from Cheers, Happy Days, etc.

Mirror Kirk and Spock should sell....those are the ones that DST announced but never released, right?  If I were planning to keep the line going I would only get those two, but I still think I'm going to dump mine soon.

What is kind of sad is how they are doing all these series from the late 80's/early 90's now, but still only TOS Trek....if he went for TNG Trek then at least I'd be excited, if not interested.

#32 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:25 PM

Oh, were the mirror figures never done? I thought I had seen them, but passed/missed buying them... well its settled then... too bad, Spock has no undershirt and Kirk has his sash too high! Alternate uniforms would be great, rather than releasing the ones that emce has already done, OR continuing the misc crew members that they Were planning. Im sure that checkov and sulu are the same sculpt. I would like if TNG gets represented, especially since I want a Data and Worf to make a BBT cosplay set.
The only problem is, I dont have Target in Canada anymore, and I doubt that TRU will be getting them, mind you I havent gone since the US closed down their shops...

#33 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:02 PM

... and now most of the figures are not listed in the international site. I wasnt able to get them yet anyway, but looks like I can pay twice as much on eBay...!

#34 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:03 PM

Or get someone here to buy and ship to you?

#35 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:12 PM

I saw all the mego dools including the facts of Life and the Brady bunch. Easy pass due to likeness. I still have my playmates ones which have a better likeness I think.

#36 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:16 AM

I've basically gone one of two ways... 1/12th scale -Super detailed and Articulated stuff... or 1/6 scale high quality scale... the reason I dumped the my MEGO and playmates figures recently is they just don't stand up to the quality that can be done today. 

BTW... I see them in stock now on Target.com.

#37 Shinzon

Shinzon

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:58 PM

Mirror episodes are already sold out on target.com. Nice to see Star Trek selling.

#38 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:48 AM

I know I'm weird, so you don't have to tell me, but the one thing in this line that has caught me in its orbit is the promise of a full set of Facts of Life action figures.  Not even joking.

#39 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:49 PM

Mirror episodes are already sold out on target.com. Nice to see Star Trek selling.

Back in stock!

https://www.target.c...re/-/A-53492550

#40 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:29 PM

I happened to stop by a few Targets today and one of them had these in stock. They look great on the shelves. I particularly liked the Mirror set and it's packaging, the cardboard inserts would make a nice display. I thought I would grab a few photos in case anyone else can't find these but might want to see what they look like "in store", the link is below. Also I found it odd they put it on the end cap of the preschool section. Maybe Target just didn't know what to do with them, haha. They're nice for what they are, but I was perfectly content to just look at them. I'll probably pass these up no matter how cheap they get, just not worth the shelf or storage space for me personally.

https://imgur.com/a/oS87ZGm

Edit: I only noticed when looking back at my photos that these are all apparently limited to 10k and numbered, I didn't realize they were doing that.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users