Photo

Wives and other annoying significant others....

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:06 AM

Well, what can I say, I envy you guys (and Jules) whose spouse has no problem with your collecting hobby. My wife of two years blew up over the $50 order for the Datas and Geordi that's arriving today. Not like we are broke, she just thinks its a waste of money, but of course clothes are fine!

I don't want to do any more pre pays and well, I seriously wish Newforce would ship to a PO Box!

I mean I don't golf, hunt or fish like most of the guys in my areas. I might go to a couple of college football games a year, but that's about it. I don't even have a car payment, and I know guys that have truck, boat and 4 wheeler payments. She has it lucky in my opinion, as I only do some selective DST purchases. I'm not even a completist!

So, how to you guys calm this stuff down at home?

#2 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:28 AM

Syb, I count myself as one of the lucky one's. For the reason you gave, hunt, fish, whoring, whatever(I don't do these either), my wife is very supportive of my hobbies. Real quick, as I'm heading out the door. Here's some suggestions my wife made, as she was listening to me talk about this thread. Have the figures sent to your work or everytime you place a order and it arrives, give her a gift card to one of her favorite shops. I'll relay more when I get home on having a supportive wife, right now she's hurrying me to get out the door laugh.gif

#3 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:54 AM

My collecting used to be a problem, but then my husband got the ebay bug, and discovered a passion for collecting Global kitchen knives (as used by Gordon Ramsay). As each of these knives easily costs more than a figure, and he enjoys hunting down ebay bargains for me was well, things are now relatively harmonious if the Cope household. (He's now busy hunting down a Chain of Command Data and another Barclay for me!)

In the past I have resorted to 'loose change' ad-hoc purchases from Forbidden Planet that don't show up on the credit card statement, which have then found their way into the drawer under my bed. I kept a stable of five Shinzons in there! But you can't do that if you want to keep up with new figures coming out at the rate they are now.

However, a persuasive defence is always what other guys do and you don't. I found this works with girly stuff too. I HATE shopping for clothes, and I go to the hairdressers like once a year............lay it on thick. I'm sure you can target her indulgences! tongue.gif

#4 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9" clothed figures

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Feb 13 2007, 02:28 PM) View Post

everytime you place a order and it arrives, give her a gift card to one of her favorite shops.

Don, open your eyes! Your wife wasn't trying to help Sybeck1, she was giving YOU a hint here!

Anyhow, I just don't understand why people would want to share their homes with other people. Am I glad I live alone!

#5 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:14 PM

With my ex wife as long as i bought her something she wanted, she couldnt care less what i got. When money was tight and she couldnt get everything she wanted, then she would fuss and say i should get rid of the figures. In the end, i kept the figures and got rid of her.

#6 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:44 PM

My wife is great and she has no problem with it. Yes I am lucky.

#7 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:49 PM

My Wife has no problem with my collecting either. Usualy I will be the one that is torn about whether I should or shouldn't buy something and she usualy tells me to go ahead and get it.

#8 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Feb 13 2007, 11:14 PM) View Post

In the end, i kept the figures and got rid of her.

Good for you!

#9 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:40 AM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Feb 13 2007, 10:14 PM) View Post

With my ex wife as long as i bought her something she wanted, she couldnt care less what i got. When money was tight and she couldnt get everything she wanted, then she would fuss and say i should get rid of the figures. In the end, i kept the figures and got rid of her.

To be fair though VF, if money was tight and she was being told to cut back, and if you were still endulging your hobby, wouldn't she have a point?

I think hobbies are fine as long as both partners get equal financing and equal time to devote to them.

#10 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Feb 13 2007, 10:38 AM) View Post

Don, open your eyes! Your wife wasn't trying to help Sybeck1, she was giving YOU a hint here!

Anyhow, I just don't understand why people would want to share their homes with other people. Am I glad I live alone!

Honestly, no she was trying to help out Sybeck1 wink.gif Considering how my collection is out of control, we've been to San Diego Comicon twice, I think she enjoys the hunt as much as I do. I couldn't see my life without her and would be a sadder person if she wasn't in my life wub.gif I'm sure once you meet the right person, you'll change your tune tongue.gif As far as giving me hints, she knows better. She knows all she has to do is ask and if we can do it, it gets done.

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Feb 13 2007, 03:49 PM) View Post

My Wife has no problem with my collecting either. Usualy I will be the one that is torn about whether I should or shouldn't buy something and she usualy tells me to go ahead and get it.

Sounds like my wife JMW326, she was telling me to call my CBG and make sure he put the new Alex Ross Justice figures aside for me on the drive home. Oh, and Jules, sounds like your husband is coming along nicely. It only took him 3 years roflmao.gif roflmao.gif

#11 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:05 AM

Well, I appreciate the advice, hopefully she will love the dozen of roses she is getting today for Valentine's Day!

Berns, you are correct. It is hard to be married,knowing what I know now, who knows. I did wait to 37 to marry, so I was slightly set in my ways!

Jules, I like the pocket change idea. I might use that for future waves. Maybe Rick from NFC would take a money order?? Who knows.

At one time I did send a Trek DVD set to my mom's house to keep it off the radar. My mom held it and I slipped into the car trunk on a family visit. So, I could send more there.

JW326, Donster, and FHC (abasement full?) you are kings among collectors!! I just hope I don't have to make the decision the VF did. I might be homeless along side my toy collection. I might could put Picard's cup in his hand and let him do a little begging for me lol roflmao.gif roflmao.gif

#12 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:53 AM

Sounds like my wife JMW326, she was telling me to call my CBG and make sure he put the new Alex Ross Justice figures aside for me on the drive home.

Thats funny. My wife did the same thing. I was talking about the new Justice figures and she told me to just call them and have them hold the ones I want so I wouldn't miss them. biggrin.gif

#13 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Feb 14 2007, 09:23 AM) View Post

Oh, and Jules, sounds like your husband is coming along nicely. It only took him 3 years roflmao.gif roflmao.gif

Yeah, you (and a few others here) will remember me complaining about him in the past. I think it was a case of "if you can't beat her, join her!" tongue.gif Things are so much better now.

#14 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:54 PM

Single gay guy living in his parents granny flat here!

My parents used to give me greasy looks when I received more than one parcel a week....but overall they are glad I have a hobby thats not quite as violent as my career. laugh.gif (wrestling & stunt work)

I like what VF said...."In the end, I kept the figures and got rid of her."

Priceless biggrin.gif

#15 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(JulesLuvsShinzon @ Feb 14 2007, 03:40 AM) View Post

To be fair though VF, if money was tight and she was being told to cut back, and if you were still endulging your hobby, wouldn't she have a point?

I think hobbies are fine as long as both partners get equal financing and equal time to devote to them.

You misunderstand Jules, she wanted me to get rid of the stuff i already had when times were tight, but she wouldnt hear of getting a job for herself to help alleviate any financial crunches that came along.

#16 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:48 AM

^^^Oh well fair enough........if anyone suggested I sell my figures, I'd probably kick 'em out!

#17 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Feb 14 2007, 11:17 PM) View Post

she wanted me to get rid of the stuff i already had when times were tight, but she wouldnt hear of getting a job for herself to help alleviate any financial crunches that came along.

Did she bark? She sounds like a female dog to me! wink.gif

#18 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Feb 19 2007, 03:11 PM) View Post

Did she bark? She sounds like a female dog to me! wink.gif

She did bark, in her own way.

#19 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:35 PM

Well this thread has gone in a different direction laugh.gif Back to topic, Sybeck1, didn't your wife realize that you collected before you were married? It's unfortunate that you have to send things to your mom or elsewhere to sneak it into your house. Sounds like you are responsible, pay your bills, do your husband things, so you should be able to have something you enjoy sad.gif But I know how hard that can be, as I've been in relationships like this in the past. Luckily I finally found a jewel worth sharing my life with wub.gif Good luck though, as Red Green says, "We're all pulling for you".

#20 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:42 PM

^^^Her moods come in some sort of cycle, with it coming this month the same as my toys coming. I could have probably be better prepared if I would have had some chocolate handy lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users