• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:45 PM

I have always wanted to build a bridge for my TOS Art Asylum figures, but I have never gotten around to it mostly because it would be such a large and complex thing. So I finally decided if I didn't build the whole thing it might not be too hard and in the process I would learn a lot should I decide to one day build a full bridge. I came up with some good shortcuts. I decided to build just the section directly behind the captains chair. I am using almost all foamboard and then covering the foam board with printed card stock to illustrate the textures and colors eliminating the need for the most part to paint anything. I am getting close to finishing. Below is a link to photos documenting my progress. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
TOS Bridge Scene Photos

#2 Samwise Gamgee

Samwise Gamgee

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:28 PM

Wow, dude, my hat is off to you. Wonderful job, and you made it look easy!
I started a full bridge a few years ago, but did not get too far. I got hung up on all of the angles trying to fit right.
How long did it take you to do that?

#3 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:02 AM

wow that is sweeet!!!!! how did you make the lacars?

#4 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:31 AM

So far I have spent two days on it, I still need to finish the two viewscreens on the back and the railing. To make the displays and controls I took the illustration on the blue prints and added color in photoshop. I sent the images to walgreens to be printed as 5x7 photographs to give it a glossy glass like appearance.

#5 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:14 AM

WOW looking good. You know you could make a second one while your making the first one...hint .....hint...hint

#6 startrekfiero

startrekfiero

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:55 PM

Wow! That is totally amazing!
Can't wait to see more updated pics smile.gif
Maybe you could make two more biggrin.gif

#7 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:31 PM

I am mostly finished now, I want to add a back to it to make it a little more sturdy. I'll try to use my better camera to try and get some good pictures but for now I've added some to the gallery below.
TOS Bridge Scene Photos

#8 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:09 AM

Very nicely done.

#9 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:12 AM

Looks good!

#10 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:26 PM

o_O
WOW. That looks amazing, all you need is steps and a chair. Is there a reason for not doing the helm, besides it is more work, that could be done later? Well that and, the extra length would fall off the bookcase that you might be displaying it in. I was working on expanding the size of the Hallmark Spock chair to DST scale, but I used too hot of a silicon and melted it, now I have to do it off of a prior casting... sad.gif

#11 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:54 AM

Dude! That is AMAZING!

Any way you'd be able to post a tutorial online?

Sallah

#12 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (Tiberius @ Oct 22 2008, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
o_O
WOW. That looks amazing, all you need is steps and a chair. Is there a reason for not doing the helm, besides it is more work, that could be done later? Well that and, the extra length would fall off the bookcase that you might be displaying it in. I was working on expanding the size of the Hallmark Spock chair to DST scale, but I used too hot of a silicon and melted it, now I have to do it off of a prior casting... sad.gif

I haven't decided if I'm going to build a chair or not, as far as I can tell from everything I've looked at there shouldn't be any steps there. I did limit my bridge to just the space behind the captains chair so that it would be easier to display and build, but I have to say I've been thinking about adding the helm and maybe even Spocks station and the turbolift. I would love to have the whole bridge I just don't think I would have the time and space for it.

#13 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:17 PM

I added some better quality photos to the gallery.

TOS Bridge Scene Photos

#14 WORF22

WORF22

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:16 PM

wow!!!!! are you going to complete the entire bridge? that looks so good nice job keep it up.... down to the color.....

#15 WORF22

WORF22

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:28 PM

o_O

QUOTE (s8film40 @ Oct 23 2008, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't decided if I'm going to build a chair or not, as far as I can tell from everything I've looked at there shouldn't be any steps there. I did limit my bridge to just the space behind the captains chair so that it would be easier to display and build, but I have to say I've been thinking about adding the helm and maybe even Spocks station and the turbolift. I would love to have the whole bridge I just don't think I would have the time and space for it.

SEE HYDROSPAN 101

this stuff is the best!!!!! and it will not get hot.

http://www.trektoy.c...?showtopic=1096

#16 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:12 PM

I did some more work on my bridge today, I think I'm done with it. There are some areas where I want to improve it but I think I'll build another one and incorporate into it what I've learned building this one. I changed the back view screen completely, instead of layering the elements I created one complete graphic, and I also added the ceiling lights. I also mostly enclosed the back side so it wouldn't look so bad displayed on my shelf and to make it more sturdy.
TOS Bridge Scene Photos

#17 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

Wow, what an awesome job! This is one of the best I've seen. smile.gif

#18 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:02 PM

Well I've started on another one. I have managed to correct several mistakes I made with the first one, my measurements and angles are more accurate and everything has turned out a lot cleaner and more flush. I learned a lot doing the first one and am still learning more, practice makes perfect I guess.

#19 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:19 PM

It's getting closer, I'm much happier with the angles on this one.

#20 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

Yeah, the other one was garbage. Please dispose of it properly by sending it to me. laugh.gif wink.gif

These are pretty darned good! I wish I could do stuff like this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users