• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

It looks like Alex Kurtzman is basically making his directorial debut with the new reboot of the Mummy, yes I realize he's technically got a few others under his belt, but this seems like the first big thing he's got.

He's got some pretty able writers to lean on... as well as some pretty big acting names... and the trailer looks pretty good!

I've heard that Universal is looking to try and create a monster universe... and the current credits show Russell Crowe as Dr. Jekyll!

It'll be interesting to see where they take this... I actually rather liked the two Braden Frasier efforts!

#2 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:53 AM

Ouch!

Tom Cruise sucks all the oxygen out of the film – an act in which the filmmakers (led by J.J. Abrams’ buddy and the co-writer of two Transformers movies, director Alex Kurtzman) are enablers.

I honestly had higher hopes for this film. Looks like Kurtzman didn't deliver. To be sure, not all movies panned by the critics are financial failures... but the numbers early reports are... 

The Mummy is looking like a big bet that isn’t paying off, but it won’t be for lack of trying.

I was actually hoping universal would be able to get a decent launch on its new universe, but this film doesn't look like it will be it. I'll probably wait until I can rent it for .25 cent on redox. 

#3 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:14 AM

I was always mistified that Universal gave this movie to Kurtzman, who may be a good producer but has never directed anything like The Mummy before.

Studios just don't have a damned clue and actually it's something I respect Paramount for not even suggesting with Star Trek. All these studios seem to want to start these big marvel-like multiverses. Why? Why not get a good movie made first and then a second and a third and so on and then 10 movies in, audiences will understand that they've all been leading into a shared universe.

Studios seem to forget how Marvel started making movies...

The Universal Monsters shared universe is a good idea, don't ruin that by 1) putting an inexperienced director to direct the film you want to launch your franchise with and 2) don't tell us about all these films you have planned when the first one might suck!

#4 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:55 AM

Yep. we do agree on that... I'm going to see Wonder Woman today... and from the reviews and fanboy raves alike, it sounds like the DCU may finally get off on the right foot! I'm pretty excited about that! You right about Marvel... even though they had the big idea of what they wanted to do... IM 1 was, and still is a fantastic standalone movie!

So, hopefully, Universal can learn that even a couple of wrong starts can lead to success with proper course correction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users