#2 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:42 AM

I watched the first 10 minutes yesterday, but didn't have time to watch the entire episode, yet. I'm looking forward to watching it soon.

I must say that Star Trek Continues has so far impressed me the most compared to other fan financed projects (like Star Trek Phase 2 etc.). The acting is much better, the actors are on an equally good level; the sets are awesome; the production quality overall is very good. But what impresses me most is the top notch quality of the scripts. I've just recently watched Lolani, and now I will have to mention it all the time whenever someone asks me about my favorite Star Trek episode.

#3 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:30 AM

Star Trek Continues is great! What amazes me is that they not only have created episodes that seamlessly continue the original series, but to me they rank up there with some of the best original episodes. I was fortunate to get to tour the sets during Farragutfest, if you ever get a chance to go it's definitely worth it!

#4 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:14 AM

I watched it the night it was released. I'm not ashamed to say that the next to the last scene with Captain Kirk and the little girl made me cry, because my ex-GF and I experienced a similar loss.

Kirk got his closure and in a way, so did I, vicariously.  

#5 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:24 AM

I found it hard to buy Kirk's breakdown - in particular his heart failure. If it was caused by the knock on the head, then it was a neurological, biological problem and Bones should have relieved the captain of command immediately once it became apparent.

The whole thing of Spock conversing with the apparitions was a bit shonky, and in fact, the very nature of the apparitions was unclear: were they guilty hallucinations that Spock shared through the meld, or aliens preying on Kirk's vulnerabilities, or legit ghosts? It was a bit silly. It's intimated by the end that they were all in Kirk's head, but it's not at all apparent to the crew that that is the case while it's happening... it's treated as a mystery when it should have been a health issue.

I get the whole theme of trying to humanise Kirk's "lady-killer" reputation by showing how scarred he was by week after week of tragedy, and the little girl choked me up too, but it all felt a little too on-the-nose and weird to just swallow whole.

That this was just something that could happen to him and the crew would be ok with that was unbelievable. Kirk had a full-blown psychotic break.

Also, they introduced the TAS Rec Room like it ain't no thang... even the Holodeck had a bit of a song-and-dance made of it in TNG.

#6 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:40 PM

I hate to say this but I really didnt enjoy this one.  It just felt flat to me and I cant explain why.  I know I have a hard time with the guy that plays Spock.  I still have not gotten used to him.  The rest seems ok though.  Im also pretty sure they didnt have holo decks in that time period.  Of course Im sure thats not been brought up lol.

#7 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:25 PM

I've really enjoyed Star Trek continues more than any of the JJ Abrams movies. It's really like having more TOS. Yes it takes a little while to get used to new actors, but they are faithful depictions of the original cast and I think they do a good job of portraying the characters. The White Iris was even better for me because I work with the Father of the little girl who played Kirk's daughter in the episode. She is a cutie.

#8 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:53 PM

VF, I absolutely agree. Although the last two episodes were a bit weak, imho, I'd prefer Star Trek Continues to JJTrek anytime.

#9 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

https://youtu.be/3VEZH8bqytA

Seen this one? The two part finale is next and then the show is sadly over.

#10 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:32 PM

https://youtu.be/3VEZH8bqytA

Seen this one? The two part finale is next and then the show is sadly over.

I would rather watch this show any day over Discovery.

#11 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:56 AM

Yeah the latest episode like all the others was really great! Discovery, Axanar or any other fan films dont come close to being in the same league as Continues.

#12 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

Agreed.

#13 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:10 AM

I tried watching and it came off as a Saturday Night Live skit without the humor. Pretty cringe-worthy, like I was embarrassed for the production.

#14 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

These are certainly a huge love letter to TOS, and I do applaud the production quality... I've tried watching 3 different ones thus far.. but I quickly got bored with them and haven't made through a single sitting of an episode, but again, I do appreciate them as really excellent fan produced webisodes. I've never seen any of the Anaxar productions, I've seen a number of the Phase II and of gods and men... and I would agree that the production quality of Continues is above those, and is just fantastic. I get that people who don't like Discovery don't want to call it Star Trek... but even if you watch Discovery as just some space epic... its production quality obviously exceeds Continues IMO. 

The large issue for me is they seem to be trying to write the episodes from the TOS.. or a 60's perspective, and as such like MisterPL... I found my self cringing at some of the dialog.

#15 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:25 AM

The whole point is they are supposed to be episodes as if TOS had continued. In that goal they achieved as close to perfection as possible. The only thing that would have made them better is the original actors at their age at the time of TOS filming. Rod Roddenberry commented that he considers these canon, and I agree wholeheartedly. I feel very confident that if the team doing Discovery attempted this same goal they would not achieve the same level of quality. Yes of course a multimillion dollar per episode production is going to have high production values. Money isn't everything and this series is proof of that. 

The sad truth is if it weren't for Axanar and Discovery we would probably be getting more of this series. I would trade both of those for this in a heartbeat.

#16 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:52 AM

Yeah, I have a tough time getting into a production that's intentionally retarded. I appreciate what they're trying to do but it would be like doing a series set ten years before TOS that looked like a 1950s B-movie because that's what it would have looked like back then. This is science fiction, not a documentary.

That said I can see it working in a comic book.

#17 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:53 AM

I certainly understand what they have achieved... and I'll try watching more episodes... but if this is what "Orginalist" fans want to see on TV... produced by CBS... it wouldn't survive. Not taking anything away from it -  as a fan fiction its tops. But I'm not that entertained by what I've seen... and thats fine... maybe.. just like Discovery isn't your bag... maybe this isn't my bag.

What you won't hear me saying is I'm glad CBS cut off these types of productions... quite the opposite... I would prefer CBS allow them to continue for the exact reason stated... I really don't see them as challenge to any new commercial production... and I think it fills a niche for fans that just want old school campy TOS. 

#18 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:21 AM

CBS and Paramount need to protect their intellectual property. If they keep turning a blind eye to things like this, it could lead to legal problems down the line. Sometimes you gotta put your foot down, especially with Little Rascals-level productions of one of your most venerable franchises.

#19 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:07 AM

I certainly understand what they have achieved... and I'll try watching more episodes... but if this is what "Orginalist" fans want to see on TV... produced by CBS... it wouldn't survive. Not taking anything away from it -  as a fan fiction its tops. But I'm not that entertained by what I've seen... and thats fine... maybe.. just like Discovery isn't your bag... maybe this isn't my bag.

What you won't hear me saying is I'm glad CBS cut off these types of productions... quite the opposite... I would prefer CBS allow them to continue for the exact reason stated... I really don't see them as challenge to any new commercial production... and I think it fills a niche for fans that just want old school campy TOS. 

Yeah I totally agree. This is for a very niche audience. I would have preferred them embrace it and offer a distribution deal as a licensed property. They could have set it up like Apple's App store, you create something they approve it and place it in the CBS All Access app then split the earnings to fund more. I kind of view fan films on the same level as novels and they allow people to write those and do it in a licensed way.

Also for the record I'm not opposed to new modern looking Trek if it were done right. Discovery is very much trying to do exactly what these fan films do yet ignoring the attention to detail that they do. It's truly a worst of both worlds.

#20 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

Im wondering if Axanar didnt ruin it for everyone, if CBS would have just let Continues... continue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users