33 replies to this topic

#21 pawpal

pawpal

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(BradMan @ Aug 26 2007, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Playmates ships are the one thing I have been replacing with new AA/DST stuff rather than just adding to it. As great as they were at the time, the new NCC-1701 and NCC-1701-E are leaps and bounds ahead of the quality of Playmates' version.

Though I will say that the Playmates USS Defiant is pretty spot on and one of the best sips ever produced, IMO.

One thing I prefer with the PM ships is, I feel the microchips and speakers are of better quality, resulting in louder clearer sounds. They're also sturdier built.

#22 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:39 AM

As much as I know the new AA ships are of superior quality, I just love those playmates ships. When DST released the new enterprises I couldnt bring myself to get rid of the old. I am going to start customizing them and changing the registry numbers to turn them into new ships! I did it once with the Ent-D making it into the galaxy class Exclaibur. Im thinking Im going to change registrys on the TOS ent and the FC Ent-e

#23 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE(pawpal @ Nov 11 2007, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing I prefer with the PM ships is, I feel the microchips and speakers are of better quality, resulting in louder clearer sounds. They're also sturdier built.

The new Enterprises have amazing sound. I agree that some of the others might have been a bit better, but these last couple coming out of DST are fantastic as far as I am concerned.

#24 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:01 PM

i like the sound from DST but i dont like having to cycle through them. Despite the inaccuarcy that it sometimes created, i liked the different buttons for different sounds.

#25 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:49 PM

^Same here....that was my only real complaint when AA did their first models.

#26 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Writing, collecting Star trek figures, movies, Tennis

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ May 6 2007, 05:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the Romulan Warbird is one my all-time favorite Playmates ships. I loved the sounds and lights. She was a killer to dust though with that gap in between those wings.

I love the Romulan warbird. That was the first ship I purchased.

#27 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Writing, collecting Star trek figures, movies, Tennis

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(dar1701 @ May 5 2007, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I HAVE THE NCC-1701-D AND THE KLINGON CRUSER AS WELL AS THE AA 1701-A AND THE NX-01 ALSO AS A FOOTNOTE, HAVE THE 1701-E BANDI WITH STAND WHICH IS SO COOL!!!!!

SAW THE ROMULAN WARBIRD AT A FLEA MARKET BUT DIDNT GET IT NOW I AM REGRTING IT

JUST ORDERED THE 1701 TOS AA SHIP LAST NIGHT

Thtas funny...I bought my Romulan warbird at a flea market. Now that flea market has become a health food store. (shivers)

#28 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

Today, I went to a local shop. They had the Defiant MIB. I asked how much it might be... and he said $25! :o

So, I snapped it up! Also got the Romulan Warbird and Klingon Cruiser, neither of which I had as a kid!

#29 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

Nice find!!

#30 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Fitness, Writing, World Domination

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:40 AM

While I'm a (mostly) a fan of the AA/DST ships, their fragility and stupid stands have always concerned me.

Plus with quality control at DST being what it is, it's a miracle if I get a ship that isnt defective somehoe (my new WOK Enterprise has the speaker rattling around the saucer section!)

So yeah, playmates ships - sometimes charmingly inaccurate, always sturdy and reliable and mostly fun to play with!

- Jim

#31 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

While I'm a (mostly) a fan of the AA/DST ships, their fragility and stupid stands have always concerned me.

Plus with quality control at DST being what it is, it's a miracle if I get a ship that isnt defective somehoe (my new WOK Enterprise has the speaker rattling around the saucer section!)

So yeah, playmates ships - sometimes charmingly inaccurate, always sturdy and reliable and mostly fun to play with!

- Jim

100% agree. Playmates have always seemed to beat DST stuff in terms of quality. Sure, the D may not separate, some of the ships may be inaccurate and they may seem to much like "toys" to some, but for me that’s what I want. I don't want to pick it up and be afraid that it might instantaneously combust, I want to swoosh it around the room and seem silly to the people next door with my pathetic photon torpedo impression, and have great fun with it, not let it gather dust but to loved, something my DST

ships can’t seem to handle at the moment.

Today, I went to a local shop. They had the Defiant MIB. I asked how much it might be... and he said $25! :o

So, I snapped it up! Also got the Romulan Warbird and Klingon Cruiser, neither of which I had as a kid!

Fantastic deal! I'm still after a Defiant, but I got my first Klingon and Romulan ships a few months ago. I love them, the Klingon Battle cruiser looks quite threatening with my Klingon fleet and the Romulan Warbird is extremely swooshable, and both are done with far better detail than I thought, especially for their age. Again, well done with the Defiant!

#32 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Fitness, Writing, World Domination

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

Ha ha Redshirt - I fly my ships around the house when the other half is asleep :-)

Playmates ships are far more suited to this activity!

#33 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

Wow, this thread was practically fossilised!

Nice find, JonWes! I've had each of those since I was a kid. They're still on display and played with regularly.

#34 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

Gotta say, quality, durability and longevity wise, Playmates runs rings round DST. Separate buttons, decent sculpts by and large and better quality sounds I think!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users