Photo

Playmates Enterprise D prototype pictures?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

The pictures on the box of the D show the ship with more details than the produced model, as well as what looks like a saucer separating feature that I guess would of been to impractical. But to the point, is their any pictures of the Prototype? Or has anyone ever attempted to remake it?

#2 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

I had plans to paint the Aztec pattern depicted on the box onto my PM D, but it's backburnered until I gain a bit more confidence.

I did already rewire it with LEDs, but implementing saucer separation (which, tbh, I'm not convinced was ever meant to be a feature on the PM toy) is beyond my skills, as I hope to preserve the original electronics.

You can see my progress to date here.

#3 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

I had plans to paint the Aztec pattern depicted on the box onto my PM D, but it's backburnered until I gain a bit more confidence.

I did already rewire it with LEDs, but implementing saucer separation (which, tbh, I'm not convinced was ever meant to be a feature on the PM toy) is beyond my skills, as I hope to preserve the original electronics.

You can see my progress to date here.

On the back of the box where it shows "Wrap Drive Activation button", "Photon Torpedo Activation Button", "Phaser Activation Button", and "Impulse Engine Activation Button", or simply the pictures of the Spine where the buttons are, their (in my mind at least) is a clear cut line around where the Battle Section separates from the Saucer, their is even a line straight through the curvature of the saucer near the Starboard impulse engine, again where in TNG the ship separates. It was merely an observation while sorting my collection, their is no solid proof, but, logically, if a company wanted a D that separates (Like DST or Galoob) they would but the separation part where I can see a separation in the plastic on the prototype. However, you are right by the fact that the produced model lacked the separated plastic, hence me asking about the prototype.

Anyway, that rewiring is fantastic! Your "Deflector Reflector" is fantastic to keep the light bleed at bay. Excellent work, I "Might" try rewiring mine, although I'm up to my neck in paint and craft knifes at the moment doing customs. I also should probably rephrase my statement in my previous post, I meant rewiring the ship, trying to saucer separate the ship would be far above most things I have ever seen accomplished, it would be to far complex to do to the model, I was just curious about the prototype to see the differences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users