Megan Fox as "Fathom"?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:34 AM

^^^ER, not all of them! Mostly the cast did well, but over at TU a lot of us think that Chris Pine has a way to go before he nails Kirk, while the less young and pretty ~ namely Urban, Pegg and Quinto, are the ones getting all the praise for bringing something new to the established characters.

Saldana has yet to convince the female audience that she can do more than look winsome because she really didn't get much to do in the movie apart from snog Spock ~ which in itself is questionable. Of course, I do realise that most men don't seem to find a female character that does nothing but simper and look hot a problem, but it's something JJ needs to address if he wants to keep a sizeable proportion of his newly own cinema audience on board for the next few movies.

The problem with Fox is that she already has the reputation as an 'actress' prepared to plug herself into the prevailing sexist attitudes of certain male producers just to get her (very average for Hollywood) mug and tits onscreen. She's made the mistake of attempting to justify this position by claimng it's what every woman has to do to get roles ~ contingent, of course, on somebody eventually discovering that she has the same star quality as an Angelina Jolie, because that's what she reckons she is. Yeah right.

Moose. If you don't believe me, google her 'audition'.

#22 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:08 AM

Welcome back to the forum Jules, my personal feeling is the arguments on the new Trek cast belongs in the right thread though wink.gif Although I realize you were just responding to the comments Andy made. I kind of see what he is saying though we it comes to the "What's on the surface" gang, as I like to call them. Too many times have actors been judged by their previous performances and then blown us away with a stellar performance. Look at Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, who I hate personally, but love professionallly. These are just 2 examples of folks who started out as eye candy and have gone onto bigger and better roles. Which is why I'm not totally convinced, but I think Fox, like other actresses before her has only shown a quarter of the talent she has. I've read articles with her and she seems to be pretty saavy on how she's perceived and looks to change that. For right now though, I think she's taking advantage of her fanboy/girl base until she can change things.

#23 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:18 AM

^^^Sorry Donster, I see what you're saying, but your optimism isn't warranted in this case; we're not dealing with an actress with any integrity (or talent) here.

If Ms Fox's "talent" was as a big as her mouth then she wouldn't need to "audition" for her reccurring role in shorts washing a Ferrari. I urge you to watch this piece of sexploitation on the net because Ms Fox is far from the next Angelina Jolie that she thinks she is. Fox is really pretty talentless - which is why in fact she has to be filmed with her butt in the air cleaning a guy's alloys. Having witnessed that (and I have) I have to ask what else would this dumb moose do for a role?

Unfortunately for Ms Fox, she hasn't even got the brains to realise that going down the Hooters' waitress/lap dancer/glamour model route of justifying her eagerness to submit to the need to do demeaning things to get a job (because that's the way it is boo-hoo) and making the uber mistake of whining that people only complain because women are'jealous' of her looks, condemns her to that pantheon of poop-heads who end up as next week's chip paper once the National Enquirer has grown tired of her T&A. She's mistaken the notion of 'blatant honesty' with what is a pretty transparent investment in a 'talent' that she has yet to show to anyone, and which will manifestly not be demonstrated by waving a chamois leather around.

Take acting lessons Ms Fox and get your jobs by showing the world that you actually have some understanding of your craft, because nobody sane envies a submissive woman who demeans herself for a 'job' and claims it's the only way onto the Hollywood A list. Clearly, Ms Fox's interview claims are motivated by a sense of shame, and rightly so.

#24 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

Yeah Pam Anderson has never made any money doing those things. No wait, she's made millions and millions. You use the tools God give you.

#25 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (FHC @ Aug 17 2009, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah Pam Anderson has never made any money doing those things. No wait, she's made millions and millions. You use the tools God give you.

Pamela Anderson looked so much better(and wholesome) before she made her self over with all of the fake stuff. She may have had talent at one time, but it seemed like her IQ went down as her boob size went up.
Megan Fox is trying to do just what so many other women in Hollywood have done, get everything she can while she is a popular flavor, because there is no end to pretty, curvaceous young women for the camera to see. Usually its the ones with talent or that commit suicide that get remembered though, so Megan Fox may be forgotten in a couple of years.

#26 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:44 AM

Yeah Vanna White, was one that tried real hard to use her looks to find greater success, with no luck. She really, really could not act. If you don't remember her or have not thought about her in years, there you go.

#27 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:12 AM

I think the best example is the one Jules gave us. Angelina Jolie had the same exact perception when she first came out. I can still remember the uproar over her tattoos and the digital enhancement of her upper body for Tomb Raider. Now shes become some superstar that is on the same level as some of the biggest female actresses. But yet, she also showed her top off early in her career and hasnt been afraid to show her bottom off recently in films like Wanted. Theres money to be made for good looking girls and I have no idea why other females always try to put them down. I hardly ever see the same on the male side of things.

#28 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:40 AM

^^^It's not just women though is it? Men scorn these stupid women even as they do what they do while looking at them. Again, you should see the vile comments Fox's "audition" invoked from the neanderthals that watched it. Yeah, Fox won herself HUGE respect from the men who watched her butt in those shorts!

Of course, Fox aspires to be Jolie, but Jolie's fame is based around her being one half of "Brangelina", she's not the greatest talent around. Again, you guys seem to think it's Ok for a woman to be showing her "bottom" in a film, but would be up in arms if male actors showed their private parts onscreen (maybe the competition would worry you!). I have no problem wih nudity as long as it not the prudish Hollywood double standard that means that only women may be ogled. But then, why would any one of you want to change the status quo if it meant your missus got to drool over Brad Pitt's assets and compare all of his body with yours?

Other women put boobies like Fox down beacuse she demeans her sex, and before anybody tries the "Jules is jealous"argument, I used to have a model figure and was known locally as "The Body" - not something I regard as the greatest achievement in my life. I've had more than my fair share of sad guys wanting a piece of "the tools that God gave me", but it never once occurred to me that it was something I should use to commercial advantage because I have morals and more respect for myself. I never thought of my body as a "tool" because it's where I live and I didn't like the thought of any random stranger regarding it as somewhere they could even imagine hanging their hat! Besides I have more valuable assets between my ears, and that lasts a whole lot longer!

Let's just say that everytime I read about yet another poking her butt in somebody's face and claiming that she's a victim now to be powerful later on, it makes me laugh because the only way to end that 'casting couch' system is to refuse to take part. If a woman's got the talent and some knowledge of the craft, then a serious director is going to recognise it with her clothes on. The rest are simply trash and are as disposable as, as some of you guys have noticed.

I guess women's contempt for boobies like Fox is akin to a member of any ethnic group seeing actors from their own community signing up to play Hollywood stereotypes like drug addicts or gangstas. "Actors" like that are two a penny and do their own kind down every time they chase fame or the almighty dollar.

#29 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:05 PM

I need to catch Wanted, if this is true.

Anyway on slightly different story than this, I remember reading somewhere why Jessica Alba was more a force than Shannon Elizabeth was, since they both came on the scene the same time. Both of course in bad movies, but you can still she Alba on commercials and the magazine stand, but not Elizabeth.

IMO the reason is that Shannon showed us all on her first time out, in American Pie. While she was lovely, she really had nothing else left. Jessica hasn't done this, either leaving alot to a man's mind in Sin City.

Concerning Megan, I saw just the other day she is polling high for the remake of "Barbarella"!!!

#30 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:13 PM

^^^To quote Bones ~ "Oh joy!"

Sometimes keeping it covered up has greater currency for longevity than letting it all hang out ~ especially butt cheeks out of shorts!!! laugh.gif

#31 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:51 PM

Honestly, arguments like this, religion, politcs and other no, no topics just get boring after awhile. I'm still siding with the majority, but I'm going to move on.

#32 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

I'm in favor of outlawing "clothing" all together for "all" genders at all times. If everyone was naked constantly then we wouldn't have these debates. spock2.gif

#33 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

To be honest I agree with Don, bored of this one. However, the topic is Megan Fox as "Fathom"? so lets stick to that shall we? Not the across the board topic of if a women should do this or that.

#34 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE (Thomas E. Johnson @ Aug 18 2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in favor of outlawing "clothing" all together for "all" genders at all times. If everyone was naked constantly then we wouldn't have these debates. spock2.gif

Sorry FHC, i know what you said, but i just had to respond to this comment. It might be a good thing if people were naked all the time, because they would be more concious of what they looked like, and could not hide all of the Starbucks latte's and McDonalds hamburgers under a set of clothes. A ban on clothing would mean a surge in healthy eating, closure of junk food restaurants and perhaps a momentary surge in barf bag sales until people got into shape.

#35 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:10 AM

^^^ Ha ha ha VF! And there was me thinking that you didn't have a sense of humour!! That's way too funny ~ do you work out at the gym by any chance??? laugh.gif

QUOTE (The_Donster @ Aug 19 2009, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, arguments like this, religion, politcs and other no, no topics just get boring after awhile. I'm still siding with the majority, but I'm going to move on.

That's your idea of "moving on"? From where I'm sitting that's the equivalent of blowing off in a lift and blaming the stink on somebody else. Sheesh!

And as for the majority ~ well, with neanderthal values like some of those shown here, no wonder women are in the minority here!!

ON TOPIC: Megan Fox as "Fathom"? No way, get a good looking actress with integrity and talent. That way, people might take this movie seriously.

#36 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Aug 19 2009, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^^^ Ha ha ha VF! And there was me thinking that you didn't have a sense of humour!! That's way too funny ~ do you work out at the gym by any chance??? laugh.gif

ON TOPIC: Megan Fox as "Fathom"? No way, get a good looking actress with integrity and talent. That way, people might take this movie seriously.

I actually work out at home and try to eat right, and i do consume animal flesh occasionally even though most Vulcans do not.There are no Gyms that are convienient for me since i live in a rural area. I think Megan Fox is attractive outwardly, but since i have not seen her in many shows, i cant say that i know much about her substance.

#37 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

My point was that if everyone was always naked, then no one would make a big deal about it because it would no longer be a "novelty" thing, and no one would get bent out of shape over who is more or less exposed gender wise, because the same standard is being applied to everyone.

#38 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:04 PM

I don't know much at all about Megan Fox. I watched the first Transformers movie because I had fond memories of the original 80's cartoon from my childhood, and didn't really enjoy it all that much. Hence I never saw the second. I did do a quick google search on "Fathom Movie" and ran across this little tidbit on an interview she did regarding Transformers.

When talking about Transformers 2 the actress reiterates that it is a popcorn movie in the truest sense and should not be treated as a movie with any academy award winning potential.

I don’t know if this movie’s about the story. I don’t know if anyone’s going in and trying to analyse the story and if they are, f*** them for trying!” she says.

“We’re not trying. We’re not pretending this is a story driven film. It is what it is. Everybody just shut the f*** up and o have fun. It’s not meant to change your life. If you don’t want to see it, then don’t f*****g go and pay for it. Stay home!”

Now, I'm not going to argue that Transformers, even a good version of it, would ever be an Academy Award nominee, but those statements really bother me, particularly the "We're not trying." What do you mean, you're not trying?!!?! It's not Shakespeare, but geez, you and everyone in the production are being paid to do their best, regardless of the quality of the script. It's called being a professional. If she'd done that, maybe we'd be talking about how well she did with what limited material she had to work with, rather than debating whether the talent is there to begin with.

Maybe she does have talent, I don't know. But I doubt that if she IS cast as Fathom, she's going to give it an honest effort. The funny part is, why would anyone casting a well written movie give her a shot if, by her own admission, she's not displaying what she can do. Either she has the talent, and she's being a world class idiot about her career, or she doesn't, and all the profanity is just a defense mechanism of criticism of her.

And another thing... you never, ever tell people to stay home from your movie. She really shouldn't care if they like it or not, as long as their buying tickets and watching it.

#39 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:14 AM

If she really made those comments, she is a pretty stupid person and i for one will not shed a tear when her star falls. Comments like that can cause a star to fall a lot faster IMO.

#40 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

^^^ I agree, and I dislike her because she is pretty shallow and seems to have no inkling that acting is supposed to be a craft. Quite apart from the fact that she offends my feminist principles through what she does to get roles and says about other women, she seems not to care about the integrity of the product or movie audiences in general. It doesn't matter how thin the premise or the material, far greater actors (and producers and directors) have had monster hits because they went about their work seriously and respected their audience.

And being a potty mouth doesn't enhance the profundity of her opinions to any degree. Fox doesn't deserve this role, it ought to be given to an actress who can make something of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users