• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

I'll be interested to see if the Green Lantern movie-based toy line exceeds everyone's expectations as far as sales...I half expect it to, because of my own personal party line I'm always preaching -- that bad-ass looking aliens are what make or break a space-based action figure line, and that both Playmates/DST Star Trek needed more of them.

#2 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (Whirlygig @ May 9 2011, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll be interested to see if the Green Lantern movie-based toy line exceeds everyone's expectations as far as sales...I half expect it to, because of my own personal party line I'm always preaching -- that bad-ass looking aliens are what make or break a space-based action figure line, and that both Playmates/DST Star Trek needed more of them.

I do not like the way they look. not just the action figures but the out fits them self's. it looks like green human muscles.
I don't think it will do better then blackest night. no way..

#3 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:10 PM

The movie stuff is pretty disappointing and its the only 3 3/4" line i passed on. The articulation is laughable for a price point of $8 a figure. The MM line looks a bit better but I stopped collecting comic figs of any scale above the now 4" (ill still call it 3 3/4" for histories sake). The only thing Im tempted to buy is the parallax yellow being that look pretty cool but i'll probably just wait till it goes on clearance. To me this line is the biggest joke of the summer and is far below the standard set by playmates in 2009. and yes that is saying something!

#4 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

This whole Green Lantern Movie Line looks like a pass for me. I was thiking about getting Hal Jordan and Abin Sur (Not sure I spelled that right) but was completely underwhelmed when I saw them. Mattel's idea to skimp on articulation will probably bite them in the rear in the long run! I get the feeling this line will have about as much luck as Mattel's Avatar line! Wait for these because they'll probably be at Big Lots before you know it! When are these toy companies going to learn and quit putting out crappy quality product?!

#5 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

I think a pattern has emerged with these big blockbuster movies - regardless of the success of a movie, the toy lines usually are only out for a few months and then it all disappears. The only toy lines to have an all year presence in toy stores are those lines that have been well established like Star Wars, Transformers and Doctor Who. Toy lines that are quality but also market a quality brand - Star Trek I think has this potential to be a toy store staple but only if the franchise itself is as Doctor Who has been, sold to the kids.

As for Green Lantern, it'll be a summer blockbuster line only - it'll die a quick death.

#6 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:56 PM

On that note I don't think all movie lines are doomed. I'm really loving Jakks Pacific's " Pirates of the Carribeaan: On Stranger Tides" 4" line. They aren't as articulated as Hasbro's Star Wars or GI Joe lines, but they are well made. A couple of them suffer slightly oversized heads but it is a well thought out line nonetheless. I really dig the blacklight zombie reveal feature. Also Jakks is striking while the fire is hot, a second wave of figures is already out in stores and further waves (wave 5 is up for preorder online) will include figures from the first Pirates Trilogy! I don't know why Playmates sat on their hands waiting to get that second wave out! I don't expect that Jakks will have the Pirates line forever, but they are certainly making the most out of the time they have.

#7 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

I think that's the biggest problem with movie lines. Over saturation on the fiRst wave just kills lines. I say do more waves and rerelease popular figures

#8 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

Well I finally somewhat understand the GL toys now. I guess with all the unique lanterns they are producing (which is quite a few at this point) they decided to cut down on articulation for the whole line. I get it but I still think they should have properly articulated lead characters.

#9 Sgt. Stinky

Sgt. Stinky

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Friends and especially Family

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:13 AM

If the GL line is sucessful it will probably because the movie winds up being sucessful. The articulation bothers me too but I think about the age group these are aimed at and I don't know if it is that big of deal. When I was a kid a toy line came out for a little movie I loved and the figures had about the same articulation. The movie did pretty well and so did the toys. What was that movie......I know it happened a long time ago and I think in a galaxy far, far away.. biggrin.gif . We will see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users