Photo

Rumour: Round 2 readying 1/1000 scale TOS 1701 and D7 pre-painted snap-kits!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:06 PM

Just as a reference for future, does anyone know which Round 2/Polar Lights kits have had fit issues? I know the 15" (1/420) Defiant kit is apparently a pain for beginners to stick together, and I'm thinking it would just be handy to know of any problems should these new pre-painted kits use the same parts.

#22 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:22 PM

The Excelsior, as a prepainted snap kit, would be probably 100.00.... But you are right Alteran... If the sales are there anything is possible!

#23 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:27 PM

I think these prepainted kits are mostly well designed by Round 2, Jay K.... Unless there is some kind of engineering issue converting the older 1/1000 glue kits to snap..... IE the D7 and TOS Enterprise.

The real problem usually is with the old AMT Star Trek kits, like the Defiant, etc.

#24 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:38 AM

The Excelsior, as a prepainted snap kit, would be probably 100.00.... But you are right Alteran... If the sales are there anything is possible!

$100 wouldn't be much considering the size of the Excelsior, the TOS Enterprise is 11.5", so I would guess Excelsior would be around the size of DSTs. The prices they seem to be charging are in line with what Moebius charges for their kits, the only difference is you have to actually assemble these. 

#25 mars396

mars396

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:24 AM

Exactly. DST's Excelsior is 1:1000 and it lights up, so that's going in my 1:1000 display.

I've put off assembling my pile of 1:1000 refits because I am intimidated by the decals. If Round2 releases pre-azteked refit Enterprises and Reliants, I am all in!

#26 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

That would be awesome if Round2 releases the 1/1000 Refit and Reliant Prepainted with Aztek!!

I read somewhere that Round2 said the line will continue and grow if sales are good.

#27 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:13 PM

I really really hope this happens!

#28 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

Would they be able to do bigger versions?

#29 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:12 PM

Qcjoe.... I think bigger is less likely due to cost...... I think there is only so much the market can bear. What's more likely is seeing a wider variety of the smaller scales.

It would be awesome though if they did a 1/1000 prepainted Enterprise E or D!!! The E would be about 27" long.... So not even as big as the 1/350 Enterprises. But very unlikely :(

#30 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:50 PM

It would be awesome though if they did a 1/1000 prepainted Enterprise E or D!!! The E would be about 27" long....

I'm going to start wishing for this because even though it took nearly 20 years, I did eventually get a model of the Defiant that was closely based off the studio model, and not that CG version. :D

In all seriousness though, my eyes would pop out if this happened.

#31 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:13 AM

LOL..... Yeah... I remember when DST unbelievably and unprecedently released that perfectly studio accurate toy of the DS9 Defiant..... What a happy day that was!!!

Alarm Clock beeps..... Sigh

#32 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:17 AM

Seriously though..... I would BE soooooo happy if Round2 did a studio accurate 1/1000 Defiant!!! 7.5" wouldn't be too shabby.

#33 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:31 AM

First part of that guys article is up at Trek Movie:
http://trekmovie.com...k-scale-models/

He makes no real mention of why the Akira class didn't get released - I wonder if it'll be another case of I know something you don't, and I'm not tellin'... :/

There's nothing more irksome than somebody doing that, especially when it's something lots of people would like to know about. Either way, I wonder if it was just too risky in the company's opinion?

EDIT: I've sought sons clarification from him on Facebook (he linked his article in the group). T'will post any replies here. :)

EDIT 2: Robert replied:

cutFgJO.png 

Beyond it perhaps not selling too well, I don't know how people should still be 'happy' at this, but there it is. If we were 14, and on twitter, I believe the appropriate response to this - indicating a hint of sarcasm - would be, '#drama'... ;)

#34 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:ST props, models, and Lightsabers OH MY!

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:12 PM

Can't wait to see prototype pics, if they make the refit and Reliant, and I see no reason they won't, I think it's going to be safe to say that I won't bother with DST's ships ever again. Best of all, at 1:1000 scale they won't take up as much room, but still be detailed enough. 

#35 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:55 PM

1/1000 Refit and Reliant would get me to sell my Art Asylum ships [clarification: equivalent ships I mean, NOT the B, BoP, D or E!]. I won't say I wouldn't stop buying DST ships altogether, but the bar would without question be raised quite high. A Defiant that's accurate to/based around the filming miniature would still have me buying at least two.

I've just spent the last few days watching two, three, four and six - 1/1000 scale movie ships would really go down a treat. Throw in the eaglemoss Grissom (1/890 but close enough), and that would be a wonderful thing. :D

EDIT: Added clarification, as that made out I'd get rid of all of them. The E will always have a home with me, unless there's a pre-painted Nemesis version as well as the First Contact version. Same goes for the D, unless they include saucer-separation.

#36 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:26 AM

Like I said before, if Round 2 starts churning out 1/1000 scale ships, or 1/1400 scale for the larger ones, I'd probably be done with DST. I wouldn't sell my ships, but I'd be far less interested in anything that they'd be making.

I think the only ship I'd buy from DST would be the C, just because I love that ship so much, and have requested it to many times to not buy it.

Does anyone know if Round 2 has a current Voyager model? That should also work at 1/1000 scale since she's a smaller ship.

#37 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:09 AM

No Voyager by Round 2 unfortunately :( Revell of Germamy made the big Voyager kit we always see.....

#38 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:34 PM

Like I said before, if Round 2 starts churning out 1/1000 scale ships, or 1/1400 scale for the larger ones, I'd probably be done with DST. I wouldn't sell my ships, but I'd be far less interested in anything that they'd be making.

I think the only ship I'd buy from DST would be the C, just because I love that ship so much, and have requested it to many times to not buy it.

Does anyone know if Round 2 has a current Voyager model? That should also work at 1/1000 scale since she's a smaller ship.

I agree.  IF they are about the same size Id be done as well.

#39 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

As a reference (and as Prometheus stated earlier) in 1/1000 scale, the old Enterprise and refit come in at around 11", whilst the Enterprise-E would be 27". DST's Excelsior classes are almost 1/1000 scale.

1/1400 scale would have the 1701-E be a smidgen bigger than DST's version (19"), and the old 1701 and refit would be around 9".

Great sizes in these scales.

#40 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:08 AM

I don't care to much about scale, I just think the 1/1400 scale would be a good size for the larger ships, and round 2 already has models at that scale so I'd think it would be easier to make them pre-painted. 

For ships in scale, I'd be happy with the cadet series being re-released as pre-painted like they're doing. Not that I wouldn't WANT giant versions of the C, D, and E, but I'd have nowhere to put them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users