Photo

I don't get it. Why can't we be told what the next ship is?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 ensignmelkor

ensignmelkor

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:10 AM

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I've read online that the next ship has already been decided upon, but that DST isn't ready to announce it yet.

Why? How does it hurt DST to let us know now what the next ship will be? I can understand not wanting to show prototypes if they're not ready, but a simple announcement of the name of the ship? What's the problem with that? Eaglemoss lets us know months in advance which ships are being planned, and it helps to build interest and keep us engaged with the line. But all we get from DST is silence.

Why? Why all the secrecy?

#2 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

Because theyre terrible at communication, and dont give a shit about Trek anymore.

I used to defend them, no more.

#3 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

its either that they don't want to talk or they are unwilling to talk. Either way I think much of the reason is that Diamond Select are probably moving away from Star Trek to focus on other properties.

That's a little at odds with what they said when McFarlane got the licence to do props and figures but it isn't too far fetched to think that actually they've decided to drop Star Trek as a result of them not being awarded anything to do with Discovery.

Looking at this from DST's perspective, they've had this licence for 15 plus years. They were turned down the chance to do Abrams Trek toys (which would of done really well for them) and now they've been denied the chance to tackle Discovery. There's only so much classic Trek merch they have left to do that would be successful at retail. I'd be pretty annoyed at CBS if I were DST and very reluctant to continue with Star Trek as a licence.

That being said. The silence could be down to them finalising the licence to produce toys from the Abrams movies and that by NYCC this year or Toy Fair next year they could have something to show us.

I guess there's a lot riding on whether or not Discovery is a hit before many of these companies hit with their Trek product and that could be another factor - Diamond are waiting for Discovery to launch before showing any Star Trek stuff off because once it launches, the hope is that Trek will be in the public eye again and demand for Star Trek merchandise among retailers may increase as a result?

If DST are done then they're done.

If they're not then the next toy show they'll probably reveal merch that we'll all want; Borg Drone, Reliant, TNG Phaser and Kelvin Timeline merch.

#4 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

Abrams Trek merchandise bombed in 2009, no company wants to touch toys from the Abrams universe.TOS and TNG toys are all that companies will touch, because they sell. I wonder why CBS can't figure out that if TOS and TNG merchandise is popular and sells, why won't they make tv and movies that are made in the style of popular merchandise that sells. It still remains to be seen if Discovery is successful and even longer to be successful in the merchandise arena.I don't see this show spawning a big merchandise line.

#5 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:32 PM

Abrams Trek merchandise bombed in 2009, no company wants to touch toys from the Abrams universe.TOS and TNG toys are all that companies will touch, because they sell. I wonder why CBS can't figure out that if TOS and TNG merchandise is popular and sells, why won't they make tv and movies that are made in the style of popular merchandise that sells. It still remains to be seen if Discovery is successful and even longer to be successful in the merchandise arena.I don't see this show spawning a big merchandise line.

The reason they bombed was because to kids Star Trek wasn't anything to get excited for. Paramount were greedy by wanting a mainstream toy manufacturer to do the toys. Plus the toys Playmates produced for Star Trek 2009 were awful, I mean, Happy Meal toys were made to a better standard. These were complete tat

Had DST been given the go ahead to produce a toy line based upon the 2009 movie, my guess is that it would of sold really well because there was already an established Star Trek line produced by DST that fans had come to enjoy and collect and the 2009 movie appealed directly to the kind of audience that would of been mostly made up of geeks and nerds that have disposable income to buy toys.

If I were DST Chuck, I'd be really annoyed with how CBS have handled Diamond Select and I'd be in no rush to spend money producing Star Trek products that aren't going to sell as well as they would of had my company been awarded the licence to produce toys from the new Star Trek TV series.

That being said, DST could be working on some really great Star Trek stuff that will be released in due course when they're ready to release it. Can't say I'm all that interested in their Star Trek stuff as they've hardly released anything but if they have a licence to do the Abrams Star Trek stuff then I'd be keen to see what they do - the Enterprise is certainly something I'd like to see but if they began putting proper articulation in their Trek figures I might be willing to spring for a Jalyah

#6 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:12 PM

Because theyre terrible at communication, and dont give a shit about Trek anymore.
I used to defend them, no more.

My thoughts Exactly.

Vulcanfanatic: just because you didn't like the movies does not mean others didn't and didn't want good merchandise. Myself included. The only reason the abrahms Trek merchandise "bombed" was because what playmates put out sucked! It was really bad and cheap. I know plenty of people that wanted merchandise but wouldn't buy that stuff because of how bad it was. I myself would still buy merchandise if it looked nice. if MacFarlane were to make figures from any of the Abrahms movies I would buy it in a heartbeat.

#7 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:39 PM

My thoughts Exactly.

Vulcanfanatic: just because you didn't like the movies does not mean others didn't and didn't want good merchandise. Myself included. The only reason the abrahms Trek merchandise "bombed" was because what playmates put out sucked! It was really bad and cheap. I know plenty of people that wanted merchandise but wouldn't buy that stuff because of how bad it was. I myself would still buy merchandise if it looked nice. if MacFarlane were to make figures from any of the Abrahms movies I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Sure there are those that like the movies and want merchandise, but it doesn't appear the numbers are enough for a company to get behind the expense of producing it.I think the reason is that the biggest part of the audience of the Abrams movies were casual viewers that have little interest in collecting and those movies didn't help create rabid fans of Star Trek like earlier movies and series did so interest waned as soon as they left the theater for most.

#8 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:57 PM

And yet the Eaglemoss ship specials from the JJ movies continually sell out.

And it absolutely created new fans that went on to watch the older Trek series.

Like JMW said, just because you didnt like it doesnt mean it applies to the majority of other fans.

#9 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:54 PM

And yet the Eaglemoss ship specials from the JJ movies continually sell out.

And it absolutely created new fans that went on to watch the older Trek series.

Like JMW said, just because you didnt like it doesnt mean it applies to the majority of other fans.

If companies thought they could make money on mass produced Abrams Trek stuff, they would do it. Eaglemoss is probably limited edition collectors pieces, not the numbers needed to make enough money to warrant mass produced items.

#10 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:48 AM

Well... my recollection was that lots of fans went all in supporting the playmates line... only to have buyers remorse.

There are many threads on this site on the line... heres one I was able to find pretty quickly...

http://www.trektoy.c...pic=3562&page=2

Nice re-read actually... and a lesson to add about persistence... 

I note my own comment about Hasbros treatment of Marvel... and I still stand by what they did to that line... but they actually redeemed themselves by re-grouping, going at it again and comping back with better product that won back fans... myself included. As predicted back in 2010... Mattels poor distribution was its undoing... and Playmates "Hiatus" was an out right exit.

People were still coming to terms with the end of DSTs AF line... and now they need to do the same for the ships.

#11 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:38 AM

The EM ships are probably as LE as the regular collection are,but I don't actually know that,just a wild guess.

I would LOVE lots of merch from the new movies!!!! I'm just happy QMx are doing a little bit....love the phasers.....even though some of the stuff seems to have been cancelled now,stuff I saw at last years Comic-Con. Oh well,life goes on,and so do my buying habits. lol

#12 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

Nice re-read actually... and a lesson to add about persistence... 

I had to LOL about Trek/TMNT being put on hiatus for...SHREK FOREVER AFTER!!!  Hah.

I wonder how well that line did.  People do love Shrek.  I am not those people.

TMNT was obviously really a (possibly known/planned) time-off transition to the new 2012 series...  Trek was obviously a stick-a-fork-in-it story...  I actually kinda wish I had picked up some of those Playmates now, despite loathing the JJverse and not really liking those toys either.  It's probably just a case of seeing how some of them go for a bit of cash these days and thinking to myself "darn, and all those times I held them in my hands and put them down..."  I'm sure we all know that feeling!

I think they won't tell us what the next ship is is because the reality is there's no next ship, and perhaps even they haven't come to terms with that yet...

#13 ensignmelkor

ensignmelkor

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

As far as JJ Abrams stuff goes, I think the ships would probably sell pretty well, but the action figures, not so much. I know a lot of Eaglemoss collectors really wanted the Kelvin timeline ships for their collections. But is there anyone out there who really prefers to have a Zachary Quinto Spock action figure over a Nimoy Spock? 

As far as the next DST ship goes, it feels to me like there won't be one (after Reliant). I think the line is probably over and DST is just hedging their bets in their public statements. Honestly, I can't think of any other reason not to just announce what the next ship will be.  

#14 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:11 PM

If I was to take a guess it probably still has to get approval from paramount or some other legalese reason.

#15 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:31 PM

If I was to take a guess it probably still has to get approval from paramount or some other legalese reason.

This is most likely the case. I can think of a few scenarios that could be at play here:

• DST's next ship is from the Kelvin Timeline, and they've quietly expanded their license, but need a few legal hurdles to be crossed before they can announce such a release
  • DST's next ship is from DSC, but they're still securing rights to the series, thus they can't announce their next planned release yet, (this would also explain why they weren't on the latest list of licensees, despite McFarlane's license clearly being written in a way that leaves an Abrams "black hole" sized opening for DST ships to flow through for DSC)
  • Either of the above with a "contingency plan" ship that DST will announce instead of the license expansion falls through

Of course, this is assuming that their reasons for not announcing another new ship don't boil down to the fact that the Reliant isn't out yet, and that DST doesn't want to announce a ship while the fanbase kvetches for two years or more about how the next ship is taking forever to arrive, and I can kind of see there point. Before the BoP was released there was clammoring for the Reliant, and if this next ship is something like Voyager or the Enterprise–C, I could see a similar situation unfolding, so it makes sense for DST not to say anything until they're about to ship the Reliant. The problem is that if they announce now, even if they say the ship is two years out the way Apple told Mac Pro users not to expect anything until 2018 or 2019, the complaint will be that it's taking two years for the ship to be released, rather than that DST didn't announce it. As long as they keep cranking out ships I'm happy, but I seem to be one of the few people who still is.

#16 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:32 AM

I would love it if it was from the new movies or STD,and since they say it's finished they might have something to announce,and show,when STD airs and not two years from now. But who knows,lol!

#17 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:57 PM

From Twitter:

https://twitter.com/...192414141276162

and 

https://twitter.com/...964057850368000

#18 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

Admiral class? Seriously?

Anyways, saying Eaglemoss has made the ships they’re developing doesn’t really narrow it down since Eaglemoss has made pretty much every ship from Star Trek.

At least we know they’re still working on them.

#19 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:27 PM

This also came up...

https://scontent-lga...b68&oe=5A56EA3F

Well at least its some news.

#20 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:16 AM

So if were lucky, well have it by this time next year.

Well see.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users