138 replies to this topic

#81 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Fitness, Writing, World Domination

Posted 27 April 2020 - 10:55 PM

Noticed the trend with the Picard figures here too.

Also - "Metallica" Locutus.  Nice :-)

#82 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 07:28 AM

What's interesting about Metallica Locutus is that it was never super-plentiful. It feels like they made 10,000 of them (in reality it's far more) or some number comparable to TNG Thomas Riker, but this figure, even before the Picard show, was never present for sale in any great number. You can certainly find them, but there are never a lot for sale any given time, compared to others from the same set like Soong or Pulaski.

For example, out of the 20,000 figures for sale on eBay at any one time, let's say a year ago, there would be like 4 or 5 of them for sale. That's not a lot, and people have wanted a premium for it so it would be listed for like $10 to $15. With the Picard show in progress they're getting bought at almost any price now. 

I never saw it in stores back when it was new either, and I was actively looking too. At the time I think it was getting scalped big time, but that whole set, 1995 as we call it, was not on store shelves long. At the time I was only able to get the firing Borg, firing Geordi, Tasha and, uhh, Galen I think. Never saw the Nausicaan or Locutus.

#83 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:03 AM

How about starting a new campaign for the "firing" TNG Phaser from DST...
Or maybe shifting the ship values with the Enterprise-C that has been promised?
Maybe even shifting more values on everything for another company to do Star Trek some justice? It's been long enough. Time for a change.

#84 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:17 PM

Phaser values are actually holding quite high due to demand from cosplayers, even though type 2 phasers had been made in absurd amounts. The First Contact phasers have always seen high demand.

Speaking of ship values, the Ent-B from DST has been going for well over $100 lately. I'm glad I got mine like 6 years ago.

#85 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 03:40 PM

Last I looked the ENT Phase Pistol command some respectable sums. 

#86 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:46 AM

5. Rom and Nog (this is really weird, but they've been going for about 20 bucks)

Could this be because fans of the recently deceased Aron Eisenberg are just finding out he had an inaction figure?

#87 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 01:43 PM

Hard to tell, tbh.

I think his fans would have likely had this one way before he died, but the Rom & Nog figure has been one of those where only about 5 or 10 are for sale at any given time on eBay, out of 20,000. It was never plentiful and kind of overlooked. 

At times there are only one or two of them on sale. The same thing happens with a few figures like that and people freak out and get into bidding wars. 

#88 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:11 PM

Red Data on US card recently went for $222.50 + $7.00 shipping after 15 bids.

This is one of the Top 5 highest results for this figure of really the last five years. I saw that very few were for sale in the first six months of the year, which is what could have caused this stampede.

In 2019, these were steadily going for $50-70. I even bought one for about $40 with a group of two others in MIB condition.

One thing I am not seeing are loose Red Datas. I haven't seen that in a few years, and that's really perhaps a factor of collectors hanging on to them, because they cannot be easily bought, unlike the MIB ones. I can't remember the last time I saw one for sale.

However long this link lasts: https://www.ebay.com...ordt=true&rt=nc

red-data-may2020.jpg

#89 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:40 PM

Tapestry Picard, MIB, recently brought $250.00 + $7.85 shipping after 27 bids.

Very realistic price in this day and age, and one of the lower results in recent memory. Sometimes these go for about $200, but that's rare to witness. But this is by no means the floor.

I think we're gonna see a bunch of these come to auction in the coming weeks.

However long this link lasts: https://www.ebay.com...7.m43663.l10137

picard.jpg

#90 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:42 AM

Silver Seven with Motorola Phone recent brought $35.00 + $7.50 shipping after seven bids.

Of course, this is the Picard series phenomenon, but even back in the day I think this figure was underproduced and scalped with some effort.

Still, this is just shy of $45.00 at the door. So there's a scarcity there.

However long this link lasts: https://www.ebay.com...&orig_cvip=true

seven.jpg

#91 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 02:14 PM

A large group of figures recently went to auction, and while the results were pretty varied for most items, the results for some Canadian-carded figures were through the roof. 

It makes sense to post them here in this fashion, if just to convey that someone was willing to pay pretty close to $100 for each, it seems.

I have some of my own thoughts on which ones could have been worth this much -- pretty much Ambassador Spock and nothing else -- but it's worth noting that some of these have not come up for sale within the past year at all. So if some of these results seem a little high, or if the bidders were a little high themselves, "go find another" as they say.

The Guinan, Lore and even the Vorgon with pog on Canadian cards have been selling for very mild prices in the past few years, for as little as $8, so some of these results are just baffling. Ambassador Spock, on the other hand, is very hard to find and has come up for auction a grand total of 3 times in the past 5 years, I think. Second rarest here is O'Brien, but even I think that this is a little much. But the bidders put up quite a fight for all of these, even though some careful looking could have landed them much cheaper.

Is this the effect of having two Trek series in production at the moment? Could be. But these are all very strong results, and it looks like the top bidder could have all been one person.

july-sales.jpg

#92 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:26 PM

Rom and Nog continue to set records, and I don't have an explanation besides there being like one or two for sale every given week.

The one that sold for $32.00 was really $32.00 + $6.00 shipping, so that's about $40.00 at the door with eBay state tax. And that's after 9 bids.

The second one was $27.99 + $7.50 shipping. So that's no joke either.

rom-nog.jpg

#93 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:32 PM

Record prices were recently paid for some Canadian 1996 figures, seemingly unprovoked. It's difficult to picture someone paying these prices who doesn't read this forum, because this is dedication if nothing else, but also how did these bidding wars erupt all of a sudden? These are, allegedly, separate bidders that have driven results into orbit. Assuming these auctions were jen-u-wine, and not an attempt to warm up the market.

These figures can be difficult to find at times, but if you have your finger on the pulse of a number of Canadian classifieds sites (cough, Kijiji, cough), there is no reason to pay more than $20 for one of these plus shipping. 

canadians.jpg

#94 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 11:56 AM

Here's a bunch of dough that was thrown, perhaps in reality, at the Canadian Geordi Generations figure. He and Data Generations are a bit rare, but they appear so infrequently that there's really no market for them per se.

Having said that, this is on the high side, and I've never actually seen these crack a hundred U.S. pesos until now.

geordi.jpg

#95 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 02:42 PM

just out of curiosity... and maybe you already do this.. but have you thought of mining the data to create a database that tracks the values based on the market sales? that would kinda neat from a data since perspective... maybe no real practice value unless you were looking to buy and sell I suppose.

#96 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:16 PM

Given some of the starting prices as well as the pageviews of this thread, I think some of the sellers and buyers already spend a little too much time looking at this thread. That's due to the SEO performance of this thread -- we're apparently the only forum looking at this stuff in-depth and in the modern age.

However, there are really only about 40 different figures whose values and worth tracking: 99% of the stuff on eBay, representing 20-22K figures on sale at any give time, is not worth a lot, to put it mildly. 

There are semi-automated programs that can paint graphs for each figure over time, and it's certainly possible to track them in that systematic manner, but the main limiting factor is time and also the unpredictable results based on what's on sale, what week it is, etc. There are just too many outliers. 

Red Datas a year ago, for example, had been steadily selling for $60, but in the past few months I've seen a couple results over $200. Is that because they're now worth that much, or is it because there are drunk buyers watching the Picard series and they get antsy and they want that figure yesterday, due to Amazon-like expectations of supply and demand, and supply is temporarily a little scarce? But it's still possible to land a Red Data for $60 today if you watch auctions closely. With some other figures I see people overpaying by a factor of 5 or 10, for reasons other than scarcity (poor search use, for the most part, or illusion of scarcity because this is the first time they're buying that one figure). 

Just a regular 1992 Picard can go for $5 one week, and $25 the same week. Does that mean the average is $15? Of course not.

I think one major issue to result tracking is that the same week one Tapestry Picard can go for $250 and another can go for $350. A Yesterday's Tasha can go for $80 and also for $150. The ranges on eBay, I think, vary too much, so tracking results, I suspect, won't really paint a clear picture, especially since they can differ from week to week for the same rare figures. For every "market" result there are like 5 outliers that are just wild. 

So there are trends, like Locutus and Picard at the moment, but tracking auction results would be filled with too many outliers unless every single sale was logged and it displayed "average" prices. But someone has to input hundreds of sales per week.

I think buyers and sellers can spent about 10 mins in this thread and get a sense for what's really sensible to pay and what's an obvious outlier, like the Geordi figure above. 

I think there are certainly trends now that three Trek shows are in production, so figures like Data, Picard, Locutus, and Riker of all scales and vintages are seeing a boost for the past 6 months. 

#97 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:44 PM

Red Data on US card recently brought $154.50 + $11.99 shipping after 10 bids.

Very well sold, to put it mildly, but I think this is the effect of very few having come to auction in the past 6 months. When zero figures come up for weeks at a time, some buyers get anxious.

However long this link lasts: https://www.ebay.com...ordt=true&rt=nc

data-sept-2020.jpg

#98 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:53 PM

Canadian Beverly on 7th season card with pog recently sold for $100.99 + $25.00 shipping after 4 bids.

How much is one of these, realistically? This is only the third one I've seen for sale, ever, including the one that I own, and if you're looking for one of these this probably feels like a bargain. Go find another, as they say. 

The number of these in the box, unopened, probably doesn't crack 100 examples, because just a few thousand were made. So this is far rarer than Tapestry Picard, most of which were kept in the box. And these don't even come up for sale every year. So there's no market for these per se -- it's whatever the seller wants and what the other bidders are willing to pay.

So I can't really say that too much was paid here, because where do you even find one to buy?

However long this link lasts: https://www.ebay.com...=p2047675.l2557

bev-sept-2020.jpg

#99 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 12:16 PM

A Canadian-carded Sarek with SkyBox card recently sold for $60.00 + $12.00 shipping after 5 bids.

That's right: not the pog one. And it's $72.00 at the door. And this one effectively sold for double of what an identical one achieved just a month ago, selling for $30.00.

These are just about as difficult to find as the pog ones today, for the dumb reason that there are just about as many of each in collector stockpiles. In other words, this one wasn't thought of as The Rare One back in the day, and for that reason nobody really preserved them particularly, and here were are 25 years later trying to find a non-pog Sarek.

Hopefully this result will motivate some other sellers to put theirs out there.

sarek-card.jpg

#100 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 05:01 PM

Lwaxana Troi recently sold for $44.00 + $12.00 shipping after 2 bids.

This is a ton of dough for one of these, but there has been a real run on the banks lately with Canadian-packaged figures, so this is now par for the course. Remember when it was just the pog versions of these that were sought after? I think I paid less for my pog Lwaxana than $56.00 at the door here. Crazy to note this fact.

But then again, these were overlooked for a long time in favor of the pog figures, so the inevitable result was that many were not preserved. Now, 25 years later, they're probably even in terms of remaining numbers. Go figure.

Also, I love the fact that the sticker says "Ambassador Lwaxana." There are a couple other goofs with these, like "Tashia Yar."

troi-oct-2020.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: playmates, figure, value, auction, result

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users