Photo

The Future of the Diamond Select Star Trek line

• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

Poll: Expanding DST's Star Trek licence (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want to see DST get a licence to cover both the JJ Abrams movies and the new 2017 TV series?

1. Yes absolutely I'd love to see DST produce product for both as well as the older shows and films! (13 votes [39.39%])

Percentage of vote: 39.39%

2. No, some other toy company needs to take on Trek. (11 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Yes but just product based on the JJ Abrams movies as well as their already established TOS - ENT era product (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Yes but just product based on the new TV series as well as their already established TOS - ENT line (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

5. No but continue with the TOS - ENT era of the Star Trek franchise. (7 votes [21.21%])

Percentage of vote: 21.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

Shardimus Prime has posted an interview with Zach whilst at Toy Fair and among the other DST lines, they talk candidly about the Star Trek line! I'll post the link once I find it but head over to www.toynewsi.com and it's currently one of the most recent news articles.

It got me thinking as Zach came across as really honest about what the general status of the Star Trek line is and talked a bit about the possibility of an Enterprise C.

Whilst this wasn't discussed, I think it's actually one of the things that will ensure DST are making Star Trek product for the next 5/10 years and that is to obtain a licence for all of Star Trek. Would DST becoming the main toy licence for ALL of the content both CBS and Paramount put out including the JJ Abrams movies and the forthcoming TV series be something everyone here would want to see too?

I personally would like to see Diamond continue with the Star Trek we all know and love TOS to ENT, but given some freedom to produce the JJ Abrams Enterprise and select figures from those movies as its those things that people recognise now, a Benedict Cumberbatch Khan Select figure would I'm sure would sell well, as would a Quinto Spock and Pine Kirk.

Especially now that it seems as though Star Trek Beyond won't be getting a toy line, isn't it time CBS agreed to give DST, a company that has held onto Star Trek for 10 years, some freedom in creating a number of items from the new movies?

With a new TV series coming next year too, a series specifically geared towards fans and the nerd community of an age who watch more of their TV online, wouldn't it make sense to hand over the licence to a company who's been making great Star Trek toys for 10 years?

It gives collectors and fans consistency in their collections too with ships, props and figures all coming from the same company too. Everything in the same style, scale and produced to the same standard.

To me it's a no brainer in handing DST a licence to produce Star Trek product from every part of the franchise from TOS to Star Trek Beyond and further into the future with the Star Trek All Access TV series.

Sure it may mean that DST have to do less of the classic Star Trek stuff some years but they can't go on forever doing obscure ships or figures... It needs an injection of the current and future Star Trek ships props and characters to keep the line vibrant and relevant to those who know and like Star Trek from the 2009 movie onwards.

Anyway just my opinion.

#2 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:50 PM

I'd love to see DST take a crack at JJ Trek stuff.

I'd kill for a DST quality Enterprise and Kelvin, and while I don't really need a Phaser prop since I have the QMx one, I'd be curious if DST could make a motorized Phaser replica.

If DST ever actually hits their 2 ships a year goal, they could do one prime and one JJ ship, or alternate every other year. 

Edit: 

Video 1701 was talking about: 

https://youtu.be/Z8oEa7LQbX8?t=7m34s

I started it around when they start talking about Trek. 

#3 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:10 PM

So my take away from that video is...was Khan's chest big enough?

:roflmao:

#4 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:53 PM

I'm not voting, because my answers are conflicted.

My head says yes, it's only logical (no pun intended) that they should have the license to cover all Trek. That would bring a nice uniformity to all the products as well.

My heart says absolutely not, as this is the company who move at a snail's pace in terms of getting their products out, and that would definitely mean no Defiant, and no Voyager for a hell of a long time. It'd almost be the nail in their coffin, quite frankly.

About that video, I'd honestly say (bearing in mind the interviewer specifically mentioned that ship and nothing else) that the Enterprise-C is up next after the Reliant. Everyone wants it, it's the final Enterprise to complete the line up, so it will sell no matter if people like the design or not. Also, it'd be lovely in-scale with the D and E. Also, I still don't think we'll ever see two ships a year, no matter how wrong I'd love to be about it.

#5 Stargazer

Stargazer

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:21 AM

With the addition of the license for the Abrams movies and the upcoming series, i believe the line would become a lot stronger and appeal more to retailers. I think a lot of things will start to change for Star Trek merchandise in general come 2017, providing that tv series is successful. 

#6 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:29 AM

It seems that products like action figures are moving to more of a niche segment, like what Mezco is doing with the one:12, and I don't know that plays to DSTs strengths.

I've liked what I see in the trek select line... but I haven't bitten yet... mostly because I'm pretty happy with what I have from AA/DST already.

I guess on one hand I'd like to see some more of the TOS-ENT era that we didn't get in the previous line.

On the other hand, if other people aren't biting because they want new/different characters or incarnations, then expanding to include JJ-verse characters might get more people off the benches and result in more sales.

It seems, and this is just form casual observation, that the JJ verse caused a schism  among trek fans, either you like it or you don't. Sort of the way a schism was created way back when with TOS and TNG. Though I think TNG had way more opportunities to try and heal the rift as a weekly TV show.

Bottom line is its about translation to sales... and time and time again its been shown that the TOS Kirk / Spock translate to positive cash flow, and most others now drop off quickly so DST needs to do its market research, and if the numbers are strong, go into JJ-verse, if not stick with Kirks and Spocks.

#7 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:34 AM

I always imagined any new TV series would be in DST's purview anyway.  I wouldn't mind seeing them take a crack at stuff from the JJ movies but Im more interested in an Enterprise-C/Voyager/Defiant/Prometheus/Delta Flyer.

#8 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:01 AM

I'm not voting, because my answers are conflicted.

My head says yes, it's only logical (no pun intended) that they should have the license to cover all Trek. That would bring a nice uniformity to all the products as well.
My heart says absolutely not, as this is the company who move at a snail's pace in terms of getting their products out, and that would definitely mean no Defiant, and no Voyager for a hell of a long time. It'd almost be the nail in their coffin, quite frankly.
About that video, I'd honestly say (bearing in mind the interviewer specifically mentioned that ship and nothing else) that the Enterprise-C is up next after the Reliant. Everyone wants it, it's the final Enterprise to complete the line up, so it will sell no matter if people like the design or not. Also, it'd be lovely in-scale with the D and E. Also, I still don't think we'll ever see two ships a year, no matter how wrong I'd love to be about it.

I do hear ya! I'd like it if it was up to DST as and when they wanted to release a JJ Abrams product and as Alteran says, they could put out one prime and one JJ item per year. I think if DST got that chance it would be not to the detriment of classic/prime Trek stuff. It seems to me that the JJ Abrams venture has in many ways failed and one of those ways it has failed hard is merchandise so I doubt DST would do much in the way of mercy for the new movies beyond the Enterprise, Kelvin and if successful the Franklin and new Enterprise from Beyond.

#9 ensignmelkor

ensignmelkor

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:28 AM

I'm not a fan of the Abrams-verse at all. The movies aside, I do like the Enterprise's beefier, more hot rod-style nacelles, but the neck of the saucer section is pulled too far back along the secondary hull. It just looks strange. If it was moved forward it would be a cool-looking update. Not a fan of the piddly little "pew!-pew!-pew!-pew!-pew!" Enterprise phaser effects either. I have no interest in getting any Abrams-style ships. What I want are TNG-era ships: The Enterprise-C, a Romulan Warbird, a Cardassian battleship, a Vor'cha cruiser. Other than that, some TOS-era Klingon ships would be cool.

#10 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:36 AM

And I want LOTS of new movie merch,since I'm one of the few who love them,lol.

Won't vote on this though. I consider Zach a friend,no matter how much I rib and tease him here in the forums,or even when I see him,lol.

Getting bored waiting in line trying to buy tickets for Comic-Con. The usual fun madness,lol! Virtual waiting room is just a big YAWN!

J-R!

#11 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:04 PM

Enterprise-C is fine but i'd rather see Voyager next.

#12 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:37 PM

Enterprise-C is fine but i'd rather see Voyager next.

One of these two should be next, but I feel Voyager should be more so than the C. (Never thought I'd be saying that)

Voyager had a full show dedicated to it, is easily recognizable as a Trek ship, and has a good amount of variant options. While the C has the Enterprise name going for it, would complete collections, and has (arguably) the same amount of screen time as the B, it was only in one episode, and doesn't have as many variant options as Voyager does. 

Voyager would also have a lot more in terms of dialog options for its variants, whereas  the C is limited to Yesterdays Enterprise. Odds are with the C, all the variants would have pretty similar dialog. 

Either way I would be happy. 

#13 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

I would also say it has more play options what with the landing gear and adjustable nacelles.

#14 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

I'd like to see the Defiant and Voyager next

#15 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:42 PM

I'll take one of each.

#16 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:12 PM

I would like to see DST keep the electronic ship and prop license but think the figure part is long over due in needing to yo somewhere else. Like Neca or McFarlane.

#17 QuePaso?

QuePaso?

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:17 AM

I have to agree with JMW.  DST should keep the props and ships license.  The figures need to be made by another company so they can actually be made. 

#18 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:37 PM

I find it amusing how DST just revealed their next Federation ship, and we've all immediately moved on to trying to guess the next one.

That said, do you think there's anyway for when they do Voyager, they could somehow rig it for the nacelles to move in unison? I wouldn't want a motor like the Playmates one has, but both nacelles moving at once and triggering a warp sound would be sweet.

#19 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:50 PM

I agree, they seem to be doing a great job with ships and props. My interest in them is mainly figures and I haven't gotten a new one in about 5 years. If they were to start up with some new figures that would be great but if not and someone else is willing to I would be happy with that. Personally I'm hoping the new series might be enough to get playmates back into it. I would love to see them continue their original line with some better detail. They could do the new series and fill in gaps from the old line. I think there's enough people out there that collected that old line that if they started it back up some people would get back into it. I would love to see Playmates work on that line and DST continue in their scale as well.

#20 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:58 PM

I doubt playmates will make Trek stuff again.

The line for the 2009 movie didn't do well, and stuff they were going to make ended up being cancelled. That was for a heavily advertised, main stream movie.

The new series isn't even going to be on TV, I doubt it will really help toy sales all that much.

I'd love to see NECA take on articulated figures, and for DST to keep tackling the more statue like select figures since that's what I prefer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users