• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:40 AM

I'm a fan of Star Trek and have been since I was around 4 years old, BUT I've always found the obcessive Trek fan to be pretty annoying. These people complaining about this really have WAY too much time on their hands.
The older versions are still available and will continue to be. The new versions are to bring the classic and most recognizable version of Star Trek into the "modern" age and give the fans something special for the 40th release. I don't see how you can complain about that

The only thing that warrants some complaining is Paramounts less then intelligent decision to give this show to national channels. In my area NY/NY area the only station that is showing it is NBC channel 4. The show was listed as starting at 3:35 AM, right after an infomercial and was listed as concluding at 4:30 AM. Instead they had startedd the show half way through the episode at 3:35AM and then ended it at 4AM.

If fans wanted to complain to Paramount in regards to Paramounts lack of concern on when and how the show is broadcast I could understand that, but to complain about the changes just re-iterates to me what I don't like about the fanatics.

and from what I did get to see the episode was good. The special effects look cleaner and stand out so the ship looks like a ship, however it doesn't look like it doesn't belong. It looks good

#22 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:01 AM

Ah, Dave ... without the fanatics we would have no Trek I think. It is the passion of said fans that have brought the show back time and time again.

The TOS purists have a right to be upset. Something they love passionately is getting a facelift and they aren't sure the Botox won't have lasting effects.

I was excited about this news until I heard all they did was CGI the exact original scenes, frame for frame, angle by angle. I was hoping for some creative exploration of what the Enterprise would look like in a TRUE dog-fight with a Romulan Warbird. Oh well, its still cool just the same.

#23 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:34 AM

Well, apperently no station in my area is even carrying the CGI'ed versions. You can see plenty of TOS, Trek 2.0 and Trek Uncut here but no CGI trek... so maybe all the "purists" should move here.

Although I expect they hate Trek 2.0 just as much.

#24 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9" clothed figures

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(DavAnthony @ Sep 20 2006, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If fans wanted to complain to Paramount in regards to Paramounts lack of concern on when and how the show is broadcast I could understand that

Well I couldn't! Paramount is a production company and a distibutor. They are not responcable for the way it is broadcasted nor the timeslot it was placed in. I'm a voice-over artist. People must pay me more money if the recording of my voice is meant to be nation wide than they have to pay me for recordings that are going to be used on regional stations. But if they pay me for nation wide broadcasting and they don't air it, I couldn't care less. It's not my job to see to how and when it's aired. It's my job to deliver a recording that was made to the best of my abilities. When a recording made for a regional project is broadcasted nation wide, then they must pay me more money. But if they don't air it I won't give their money back! They only buy the RIGHT to broadcast it! I think Paramount feels the same way about Star Trek, which is as it should.

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Sep 20 2006, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was excited about this news until I heard all they did was CGI the exact original scenes, frame for frame, angle by angle. I was hoping for some creative exploration of what the Enterprise would look like in a TRUE dog-fight with a Romulan Warbird. Oh well, its still cool just the same.

Mmm... My feelings exactly. I was hoping to see cool angles of the ship, modern phaserbeams and up to date transportershots. I was hoping it would have looked like what Sybeck1 posted earlier in the thread:

QUOTE(Sybeck1 @ Sep 1 2006, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#25 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:34 AM

Well, my wife and I watched Balance of Terror on Saturday, not sure, but I think there are 2 shows this next week? One will be at a earlier time and another during the old Enterprise timeslot. While the new CGI is nice, my wife actually asked why? Like most, we see the need to clean up the film, music ect. But to update things on the show seems unnecessary in our opinion. Like Star Wars, it's what made the show stand out for us as kids. Hopefully when they come out with these new sets, they'll include the original cuts with them. If not, I'll have my TOS boxed sets wink.gif

#26 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Sep 20 2006, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, my wife and I watched Balance of Terror on Saturday

I just watched the original Balance of Terror today. Funny thing is that all through the episode they talk about firing phasers at the Romulan ship, yet we get both the visuals and the sound effects of Photon Torpedoes. So my question to you is did they change it?

#27 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE(Mason @ Sep 20 2006, 05:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone watched these new versions yet? I've been reading a few posts over at Trekweb and the amount of bitching is absolutely astounding. I know that mob are pretty bloody hard to please to begin with but if CBS/Paramount actaully listen to them and take note of what they are saying, there'll never be any new Trek ever again...what a bunch of whingers. mad.gif

To make a statement like that on a fansite, especially a Star Trek fansite, is not only preaching to the choir, it's preaching at the choir.

wink.gif

#28 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:01 PM

Have you seen how harsh they are over there? (I'm guessing from the winking emoticon that you might actually be a member over there?)

#29 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Sep 20 2006, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just watched the original Balance of Terror today. Funny thing is that all through the episode they talk about firing phasers at the Romulan ship, yet we get both the visuals and the sound effects of Photon Torpedoes. So my question to you is did they change it?

From what my wife and I could tell, both ships and some of the explosions were the only visible improvements on the episode huh.gif But it's been ages since we've seen this episode, hopefully someone who does can chime in and give their opinions on this. Me? I'm picking up the old boxed sets before Paramount yanks them off the shelves.

#30 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Sep 21 2006, 03:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what my wife and I could tell, both ships and some of the explosions were the only visible improvements on the episode.

But surely you must have noticed if the Enterprise fired beams or balls of light. In the original version they fire balls of light (Photon Torpedoes) but call them Phasers every time they fire.

#31 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:54 AM

Yeah, you would think so wouldn't you laugh.gif My wife has a better memory than I do Berns and from she can remember it sounded like photon torpedoes, but they were calling it phasers and it was the beam of light. If they show it again, we'll try and pay attention.

#32 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(Mason @ Sep 20 2006, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone watched these new versions yet? I've been reading a few posts over at Trekweb and the amount of bitching is absolutely astounding. I know that mob are pretty bloody hard to please to begin with but if CBS/Paramount actaully listen to them and take note of what they are saying, there'll never be any new Trek ever again...what a bunch of whingers. mad.gif

Yeah, it's absolutely frickin' insane.

There's a shot in Balance of Terror of a comet. In the original it's static blue blur. In the new version, it's a CGI comet with all sorts of particles and movement. It looks perfect and is seemlessly integrated.

I was reading a discussion and some people claimed that they preferred the original comet. It wasn't that they preferred it left unaltered. They claimed that the new version looked less realistic.

I actually pulled out the dvd and watched it alongside my tivo'd new version. Other than the edits for length (which were bothersome) every change was an improvement.

Sometimes Trekkies make me embarassed to be a Trekkie.

#33 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:49 AM

I think that goes without saying in anything that has a fanbase Pickard. As I said in the Star Wars thread, sometime folks should just shut up and enjoy the shows. From what I've heard on Playtrekker, the same folks that were bitching about the changes have now done a 180. I'm still on the fence and will wait for the series to be finished before I give my final verdict. But like my wife, I don't see the need to improve on things just because you can either. I also have a problem with this being done in HD format, since who's to say that blu ray/hd dvd go the way of the betamax dry.gif Hopefully Paramount will be smart about this and give fans both versions of the episodes when the sets come out wink.gif

#34 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Sep 23 2006, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully Paramount will be smart about this and give fans both versions of the episodes when the sets come out wink.gif

Oh no, they must not!

I bought every episode of TOS on VHS. I bought them again on DVD. When the augmented versions will be released, I will only pay for these versions. If they put the original versions on the same discs with the augments (hey, I like the sound of that word) then buying the augments without having to pay for the originals again will be impossible. And I'm not going to pay for them again. I love them, but I need my money for other things then to buy what I already have!

#35 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Sep 23 2006, 02:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But like my wife, I don't see the need to improve on things just because you can either. I also have a problem with this being done in HD format, since who's to say that blu ray/hd dvd go the way of the betamax <_<

HD is different from the Blu Ray /HD DVD formats.

I just got HD satellite service this week. I don't have any plans to upgrade to a HD format for dvd, at least not until there's a clear victor in this format war.

TV is going High-Def. There's no turning back. It's government-mandated in the US. These improvements were supposedly made to allow TOS to still look good in HD presentation.

So, Paramount didn't make these changes just because they could. They did it because they felt they had to for the show to live on in the new digital tv landscape. (And, yes, to eventually try to sell all this stuff to us again in a new format.)

Got to run. Knight Rider is coming on soon on the Universal HD channel.

#36 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE(pickard @ Sep 23 2006, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These improvements were supposedly made to allow TOS to still look good in HD presentation.

This may come as a shock to most of you, but TOS will always look better in HD presentation than any other Trek series, notably TNG. Here's the why.

Starting in 1987 with TNG, although the episodes were shot on film, the post production was done on regular definition broadcast quality VIDEO TAPE! That means that unless they find the actual film that was in the camera and do the entire post production over, there will be no HD presentations of TNG, DS9, VOY and the first couple of seasons of ENT. And to make matters even worse, at the time of the first couple of seasons of TNG, those video tapes weren't even digital! That's why on DVD TOS (along with other old series like Galactica and knightrider) looks so much better than the first two seasons of TNG. The resolution of DVD, although not as good as HD, is still a lot better than broadcast quality video of the 80's and 90's! Film on the other hand has an even better resolution than HD! For the record, I'm not talking about the model photography (that was awful in TOS). I'm talking about the regular actors-on-the-set photography.

#37 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:49 PM

Interesting I always thought there was a rather apparent film quality difference from the TNG shots of the actors to when they had special effect shots of the Ships. I wonder if this use of video had something to do with it. For instance the actors were filmed with film but then transerred over to video but were the special effects shot in video right off the bat?

#38 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:53 PM

To answer the question about the phaser/torpedo effects in BOT, it looks like they kept the torpedo sound effect, but made the visual effect into a short burst blue phaser beam.

I watched STHD for the first time this afternoon. Funny, I was expecting a more drastic change. It's not all that different. There is more detailing in the effect sequences, but overall it's not that much different. I was expecting the phaser effects to be more like the TNG era effect and I was expecting things like light aztecing on the hull of the ship and more dramatic effects sequences. I didn't see anything like that. Just recreated visuals with slightly more depth and definition.

#39 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:57 PM

Why is the government mandating here in the U.S. that T.V.'s go High Def? I know the government can get carried away with laws from time to time but these seems absurd.

#40 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(DavAnthony @ Sep 23 2006, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why is it a law here in the U.S. that T.V.'s go High Def? I know the government can get carried away with laws from time to time but these seems absurd.

Perhaps it is easier and more cost efficient for the FCC to monitor and regulate just one standard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users