Photo

Star Trek: Discovery. Series talk and discussion

• Please log in to reply
981 replies to this topic

#101 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for sharing. That makes sense. Also it goes along with real world as well. When the Army changed to the new digital pattern uniform style, there were still soldiers wearing the previous woodland pattern for a while.

#102 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:47 AM

This is one of the reasons I don't get wrapped around the axle on many of these things... Star Trek, unlike Star Wars, is intended to reflect our more rapid changing tastes and styles... tech advances... always trying something different... not allowing things to remain stagnant. No one puts a perfectly good ship out of service just because its dated... and in star travel... when they are supposed to be out exploring for years at a time one would think all types of ships with different asthetics would exist side by side. 

#103 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:04 AM

I finally managed to watch the first two episodes. I found that there were things I liked I didn't expect to and things I didn't like that I thought I would. That being said unfortunately the trailer after all did give a pretty good indication of what to expect. Plain and simple it isn't Star Trek, it's just too far removed from what Star Trek is to be watchable for me. I was kind of hopeful that it would be something that once I got past trying to think of as Star Trek that I could watch. It was very boring though, I found myself starting to lose interest and not paying attention halfway through the 2nd episode. 

This review kind of sums up my thoughts as well. This is also someone I got to meet and discuss Star Trek with and I really have a lot of respect for her understanding of Star Trek.

http://melindasnodgr...-trek-discovery

Well in any case I don't see much hope for this series, so I just hope it is cancelled as soon as possible.

#104 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:11 AM

Looks like CBS enjoyed 10-15 million viewers Sunday night.

http://sciencefictio...illion-viewers/

#105 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:28 AM

Is there any explanation for why the uniforms worn by the Enterprise crew look like they were manufactured (or rather, sewn together by the art department) with 1960's earth technology & fabrics, while the Shenzhou/Discovery crew uniforms look manufactured with much more advanced materials and tech?  Or did Spock not notice this?  Did he also notice that his dad doesn't quite look the same as he used to?

...Rhetorical question.  :P

But seriously, I wish people just plain didn't even try to explain and justify this type of stuff.  When you indulge them with explanations, you empower/embolden those who would happily watch the world burn over such things.

#106 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

I just hope it is cancelled as soon as possible.

Forgive me for saying... but that's kinda selfish. 

I enjoyed it, and would like to see where it goes. 

I get its not your bag, fair enough. but why would you want to detract from others enjoying it? 

No matter, its a moot point as this season is already in the can. In the after trek they talked about how they were just shooting the last couple episodes while Discovery premiered. Its bought and paid for, so they may choose not to have a 2nd season of Discovery... but they are are going to do something... news is something will come early 2019... so time now to start the letter writing campaign to get what you and others want!  

#107 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:56 AM

Forgive me for saying... but that's kinda selfish. 

I enjoyed it, and would like to see where it goes. 

I get its not your bag, fair enough. but why would you want to detract from others enjoying it? 

No matter, its a moot point as this season is already in the can. In the after trek they talked about how they were just shooting the last couple episodes while Discovery premiered. Its bought and paid for, so they may choose not to have a 2nd season of Discovery... but they are are going to do something... news is something will come early 2019... so time now to start the letter writing campaign to get what you and others want!  

Yeah the problem is they are calling it Star Trek. If this were just some completely new original space battle series with the same characters and storyline then great I would agree let it go on for those who enjoy it. If this series manages to establish itself more and more and isnt viewed as just a one off mistake then it will irreparably damage the brand of Star Trek. This show if it continues will likely be the death of Star Trek as a science fiction franchise. Im not necessarily opposed to a Game of Thrones in space, I just dont want to see Star Trek sacrificed for it.

#108 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:22 AM

I feel like some people who are complaining about Discovery didn’t seem to pay attention, or don’t realize this show is set during TOS and not TNG. How many times did Kirk, Spock, and McCoy go on away missions to dangerous places? At times alone? This isn’t uncommon for this era, and it’s why the protocol exists in TNG for captains not to go.

The “hostile environment” in the beginning was hardly hostile. The most hostile thing about it was a storm that was coming, and they thought they had more time than they did to get the job they were doing done. How that could just take someone out of the show is beyond me, and seems like a bit of an extreme reaction. Same goes for torches on a Klingon ship.

That review says Michael didn’t act like a Vulcan, is that a joke? She very much acted like a human trying to be Vulcan. Then when she encounter the Klingons, who killed her family and almost killed her twice, she had a PTSD emotional breakdown, and since she was raised by Vulcans she didn’t know how to handle it. This was demonstrated in her learning pod flashback that she didn’t know how to handle that kind of situation.

The “pointless scene” referenced is far from pointless, it did exactly what the review said it did, it established the relationship between Michael and Georgiou. How is that pointless? How else would they have liked it done? I really can’t think of any scene that was pointless in this episode.

Then complaining about the Klingons speaking Klingon, seriously? Why is that a bad thing? They are Klingon, why can’t they speak Klingon? They spoke English when addressing humans, so I don’t see the issue.

#109 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

So many folks seem to wish it was the mid-20th century again. Lots of masochism among Trekkies lately. "I HATE this show... but I must continue watching!" 

Based on early reviews, it doesn't look like CBS is pulling the plug on Discovery before all 15 episodes air. If anyone's already decided it's not for them, terrific. Thanks for giving it at least one episode. I'd wager we'll see you later either way because, as an executive once told Andy Probert, "They're going to watch it anyway."

#110 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

I am/was on the fence on this one. I went in with an open mind and I must say there were thing that I did not like, on the other hand there were things I did. I did not like the way the Klingons looked but I did like what the show did with the Klingon side of the story. I did not like the holoprojector that did not come in till DS9. When I first heard about this show I think I read somewhere that number 1 was going to be ½ Vulcan I glad that was not the case. The look of the show was nice but lest see how long that last. The same was done with Enterprise till it got too expensive to continue and although it did have a jj look to it ( I think he may have run on set with his flash light ) glad it is not in that time line. All in all It was a good start.

#111 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

I feel like some people who are complaining about Discovery didnt seem to pay attention, or dont realize this show is set during TOS and not TNG. How many times did Kirk, Spock, and McCoy go on away missions to dangerous places? At times alone? This isnt uncommon for this era, and its why the protocol exists in TNG for captains not to go.

The hostile environment in the beginning was hardly hostile. The most hostile thing about it was a storm that was coming, and they thought they had more time than they did to get the job they were doing done. How that could just take someone out of the show is beyond me, and seems like a bit of an extreme reaction. Same goes for torches on a Klingon ship.

That review says Michael didnt act like a Vulcan, is that a joke? She very much acted like a human trying to be Vulcan. Then when she encounter the Klingons, who killed her family and almost killed her twice, she had a PTSD emotional breakdown, and since she was raised by Vulcans she didnt know how to handle it. This was demonstrated in her learning pod flashback that she didnt know how to handle that kind of situation.

The pointless scene referenced is far from pointless, it did exactly what the review said it did, it established the relationship between Michael and Georgiou. How is that pointless? How else would they have liked it done? I really cant think of any scene that was pointless in this episode.

Then complaining about the Klingons speaking Klingon, seriously? Why is that a bad thing? They are Klingon, why cant they speak Klingon? They spoke English when addressing humans, so I dont see the issue.

The reason I posted that review is she obviously looks at it from the perspective of a writer and series story editor. Its a different perspective than that of a fan. Many of her issues were storytelling techniques that made the show flow less naturally.

One of the things that really struck me when I watched it was that it really was truly bad all on its own merits aside from my Star Trek specific issues with it. Thee were moments that were really frustrating to watch. The acting and dialogue was atrocious. There were moments that were just plain boring and hard to watch. The thing is these serialized shows actually require some pretty good character based storytelling. I thought this would be the one area this show would really excel at.

#112 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:26 PM

I think that review makes some of the same points I made on the outset, others, like the stated issues w/ Michael I disagree with.

Maybe I don't know what good TV is... but to me its way to early to judge Discovery, what we got was a prolog, and now Discovery will start outright.

Many people look at DS9 and say thats not star trek... but to me its some of the best. 

Also.. I don't see how this is at all GoT in Space...

For it to be GoT... basically every character of interest has to die... and you have to have pointless nudity... and promises of something to come that never comes... I don't see it.

#113 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

Looks like CBS enjoyed 10-15 million viewers Sunday night.

http://sciencefictio...illion-viewers/

I'm not surprised by those numbers, after all it is a new Star Trek series. Is that total for the CBS tv viewing of episode 1 or does that encompass all access episode 2 as well? Holding on to those numbers is the question. I would be surprised if they did, let alone increase the numbers.

Okay, now for another observation. So why are the uniforms different than TOS? Someone said that, maybe the TOS uniforms were the older style and Discovery and it's uniforms were newer and hadn't been spread out to the whole fleet yet, and that the TOS uniforms were only worn on Constitution class ships. I think that is just BS. The Enterprise has been referred to as the flagship of the Federation, no way they would have an older,obsolete ship and older style uniforms on the Flagship of Starfleet. Try again on that one.

#114 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

I'm not surprised by those numbers, after all it is a new Star Trek series. Is that total for the CBS tv viewing of episode 1 or does that encompass all access episode 2 as well? Holding on to those numbers is the question. I would be surprised if they did, let alone increase the numbers.

Okay, now for another observation. So why are the uniforms different than TOS? Someone said that, maybe the TOS uniforms were the older style and Discovery and it's uniforms were newer and hadn't been spread out to the whole fleet yet, and that the TOS uniforms were only worn on Constitution class ships. I think that is just BS. The Enterprise has been referred to as the flagship of the Federation, no way they would have an older,obsolete ship and older style uniforms on the Flagship of Starfleet. Try again on that one.

I think it was the other way around. Someone wrote a novel trying to give excuses for it. We all know the real reason. I don't want to watch a series where I have to take all these lame excuses just to explain why it doesn't look like what it's supposed to. If you have to write a novel to explain it, you've already failed.

#115 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

The only reason theres an explanation is to appease the fans that bitch endlessly about changing an aesthetic from the 60s.

Saying they failed because they did is ridiculous.

#116 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:10 PM

They chose to set the show in a time period that they had no intention of portraying the correct aesthetic. They built the problem themselves. It was an idiotic decision. Good idea for a fan film, bad idea for a new high budget series. They probably should have just left that to Axanar and done something truly unique and new instead.

#117 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:16 PM

When someone wishes a show to be cancelled that other people like just because they don't like it, it makes them a dick. Another person added to the ignore list.

#118 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:30 PM

When someone wishes a show to be cancelled that other people like just because they don't like it, it makes them a dick. Another person added to the ignore list.

Just to be clear, I dont wish for the series to be cancelled I would much rather it live up to the legacy of what is expected of Star Trek and the quality associated with that. However if the series is going to damage the brand of Star Trek I would rather see it end for the greater good of Star Trek as a franchise. Ignore if you want, just goes to show there are closed minds on both sides of this.

#119 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:15 PM

Well... damage to the brand is an opinion. Sure your free to have it... and express as much... but its hubris to believe you speak for the entire franchise, especially so when calling for its cancelation when its a done deal.

Personally... I'd like to discus what works and what doesn't seem to work in the show itself. I appreciated the link to that review... that had some good points... nothing is perfect, but there is still some real promise in the show... if some can't see it, well... perhaps they are the ones with closed minds. 

#120 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:44 PM

Well... damage to the brand is an opinion. Sure your free to have it... and express as much... but its hubris to believe you speak for the entire franchise, especially so when calling for its cancelation when its a done deal.

Personally... I'd like to discus what works and what doesn't seem to work in the show itself. I appreciated the link to that review... that had some good points... nothing is perfect, but there is still some real promise in the show... if some can't see it, well... perhaps they are the ones with closed minds. 

I dont see it but Im open to believing it could somehow evolve into something good. Its just so far removed from what I want out of Star Trek that its such a long shot that I have to accept that this will never be what I want.

As Ive said before Im not picky about Star Trek, it just has to have something and this series has nothing at all. If it were at least enjoyable to watch I could look past all the canon issues and maybe at least enjoy it outside of the Star Trek universe. If it was not very good sci-fi but was at least noticeably connected to the Star Trek universe I could at least enjoy that. At this point I could go watch a Star Wars movie and make excuses and pretend in my mind it was Star Trek and I would essentially have the same thing.

I know I come off very negative, its just very frustrating to wait so long for Star Trek to then come so close to getting something new and have it ripped away by executives who opted for Game of Thrones in space instead.

Im enjoying the Orville, so far it seems to be filling the gap that Star Trek should have filled. Its clearly the better series. Its just not Star Trek and its a real shame. Ill certainly follow what happens with this series and if somehow someway it turns into something decent I will welcome that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users