Photo

Star Trek: Discovery. Series talk and discussion

• Please log in to reply
981 replies to this topic

#81 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:00 PM

I'm watching both episodes again. With my wife this time. She's really enjoying it. We're in the second one now. I'm liking it even better the second time around. It really is well done.

#82 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:36 PM

I can really see the Game of Thrones storyline pattern, kill off major characters and keep a story arc going by ending with cliffhangers. The problem with story arcs is that it's hard to just jump into watching an episode without starting at episode 1 so you know what's happened before. Unless the few seconds of "Last time on Star Trek Discovery....." Is enough for you.

#83 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:43 PM

Moot point since anyone watching has to have AA or another streaming service... so you have access to all the episodes... the only reason to not watch them in order is because you choose to.

#84 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

I realize that no one reading on here is going to change their mind about this show so I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm saying that there are no doubt many long time Star Trek fans that don't like the direction Star Trek has taken with the show.I will at least finish out this month on all access and will decide whether to pay for another month at the end of this one. If you like it, good for you, enjoy it.I really don't think we are going to see the kind of Star Trek that many long time fans want to see anymore.Its over.

#85 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:16 PM

Do you "Remember" when McCoy was carrying around Spock's Katra? Remember his behavior with only having had it a short time? So Burnham has had Sareks Katra for over 7 years and she is just fine? Using it as a long distance communication device? Illogical.

#86 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:34 PM

She has a part of Sareks Katra, not the entire thing like McCoy.

It doesn’t contradict canon at all.

#87 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:40 PM

She has a part of Sareks Katra, not the entire thing like McCoy.

It doesnt contradict canon at all.

In your opinion.

#88 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:10 PM

What example from Trek canon contradicts it?

As far as I know, this is the first situation where someone has had part of a Vulcan Katra and not the whole thing.

#89 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:47 PM

Transferring of a Katra has been something done in the moments before death, not something you do just to keep in contact with someone. How would you give someone a portion of your spirit? This is just a plot device that uses meaningful moments from Star Treks past to try and tell a flimsy story. This is as much rubbish as one of the Abrams movies reversing the Spock death scene from TWOK with Kelvin Kirk and Spock and making a real lame, meaningless scene out of it. It's just more looting of meaningful Star Trek moments and making them into garbage scenes that mean nothing.

#90 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:50 PM

Since we dont know much about the Vulcans Katra, we dont know how it works, but it does. Its canon, and nothing in the past contradicts it.

#91 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:25 PM

Since we dont know much about the Vulcans Katra, we dont know how it works, but it does. Its canon, and nothing in the past contradicts it.

There is probably a long list of things that the past wouldn't contradict, but would they make good plot devices?, probably not.

#92 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

I dont see the issue with it as a plot device.

The Katra is essentially the Vulcan, sharing a part of it would logically connect them in a way.

Sarek said himself that it was taking a physical toll on him by using it to telepathically communicate with Michael, so I dont expect it to be a common occurrence.

#93 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:18 AM

I got into one of these "discussions" with a couple of idiot fanboys on Facebook last night on an Eaglemoss post about the show, when I simply posted how much I enjoyed the show and look and feel of the ships and everything. Got the same old crap...canon this, canon that... klingons don't look right, weapons don't look right, it doesn't look like everything that came before, at this time in canon things should look like this, technology should look like that.... blah blah blah...
it's the same crap from the same small group of so called fans. The only thing these people are fans of are complaining about every version of Star Trek that isn't their favorite.
I'm glad that they chose a new direction and visual aesthetic for the show. It needed freshened up a bit. If they had stuck with the exact same thing that came before then the majority of the people watching would just be the complainers and that's not enough to carry a show.
I deleted my comment on Facebook because I just can't listen to the crap any more. I wasn't even trying to start a discussion and basically got attacked by a group trying to convince me of why it's a bad show... lol.
I was going to stay out of this thread for the same reason but just put the main offends on ignore.
I don't mind a good discussion but I can't stand small minded people that want to do nothing but complain about change or anything new.

#94 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:14 AM

haters gonna hate!

I've already described some of my issues with the show... but in general, so far I think it shows a lot of promise. we clearly have a new story, there is obvious respect for what came before, while still taking some license. 

Something Discovery doesn't have is character baggage (yet)... unlike the recent movies your not going to (even subconsciously) compare Kirks or Spocks, etc... 

I'm intrigued by Michael Burnham. We all have conflict with-in us, and it seems like they are going to explore that aspect of humanity. 

This is beautiful looking show... and I don't have an issue with the Trek Tek we've seen thus far!

#95 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

I hope this show goes OK and I continue to like it.  Then maybe some around here will see that I, and others like me, weren't just dismissing the JJ-verse for superficial reasons -- but because it truly felt hollow to us in other ways as well.

Regarding katra, I have always hated that & the mind meld & Betazoids etc.  Mysticism bleeding into my Star Trek.  This seems to make it even worse IMO -- because it seems like I am meant to believe they are actually communicating somehow over a great distance with what is effectively telepathy.  Or is it just supposed to be like when characters speak with visions of their dead parents, etc -- they're really talking to themselves?  I couldn't really tell, but it seemed to be presented as more literal direct communication with the line about how it takes a lot out of him or whatever.  I don't like straight-up telepathy like Troi has either, although I suppose I could entertain that some kind of biological EM transmission/reception mechanism could evolve naturally...but not some magic one that crosses all time and space instantaneously or allows you to communicate in any way whatsoever with others who lack that same exact biology.

I'm don't consider myself to be nitpicky there, I just like Star Trek to leave the voodoo religious magic alone, which it usually does 80-90% of the time...

#96 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:44 AM

I'm intrigued by Michael Burnham. We all have conflict with-in us, and it seems like they are going to explore that aspect of humanity. 

Her name being Michael sure is confusing to me, but I won't go into that!  An entire generation is now going to think Michael is a girl's name...which is ok with me, I guess, since that's not my name!  Lulz.  And you know I'm not a sexist, I just don't get why they had to do that.  Some of the more raving feminists will be like "finally, we have even taken their names" and others will be like "why does she need a man's name, is a woman's name not good enough to stand on its own?"  Oh well, we tend to call Trek characters by their last name anyway...

So...is the premise going to be that she's on some kind of rehab ship with a rag-tag crew all "serving time" for one thing or another?  Did I read that here or somewhere else?  That could be an interesting way to have their cake of a better humanity while eating their other cake of interpersonal drama....  A ship full of Suders???

#97 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:42 AM

Her name being Michael sure is confusing to me

Maybe she's supposed to be French  :lol:

The previews from Ep 3 suggested that while en route to what ever rehab facility, Discovery has her released to their custody. 

Something is def odd about Discovery... and we're gonna find out whats going on! Can't wait!

#98 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

Something Discovery doesn't have is character baggage (yet)... unlike the recent movies your not going to (even subconsciously) compare Kirks or Spocks, etc... 

I saw a couple commenters wondering how Sarek is still alive after all this time. When it was explained that Discovery took place prior to TOS, they argued it didn't.

Some people see what they want and ignore the rest.

#99 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

Lol... I guess thats true!

#100 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:30 PM

https://www.inverse....-uniforms-canon

Interesting read on the aesthetic differences that is directly addressed in the new Discvoery book.

Spoilers for the Discovery book.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users