DST's GIANT TOS USS Enterprise 1701

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

So I was wondering... Star Trek is 50 in 2016... That's a huge milestone and I'd hope that the companies that own licenses to produce merchandise will do something special to celebrate. I have an idea for DST that would perhaps get them all the amazing pomp and ceremony plus great publicity Hasbro's Big Millennium Falcon had..

The GIANT Star Trek: The Original Series USS Enterprise.

Basically my thinking is that working with Polar Lights, DST would produce a 33 inch, lights and sound USS Enterprise. This would be the 1:350 scale USS Enterprise model that Polar Lights offer as a kit but manufactured by DST for the fans who can't/won't build the kit version.

Featuring a ton of lights (windows, bussard collectors, bridge, sensor dome, shuttle bay) with the famous DST lights on feature. 

A ton of sounds from famous Star Trek TOS Episodes featuring the voices of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Sulu, Checkov, Rand, Chapel, Scotty and aliens/villains/characters such as Charlie X, Harcourt Fenton Mudd, Khan, Nomad, Kang, Balok, Captain Christopher, Adonais plus many more taken from iconic scenes from various episodes.

As well as character voices the ship would also feature USS Enterprise sounds. Rather than pressing the bridge dome, there would be several buttons to activate lights and sounds well hidden within the sculpt.

on top of all of this the USS Enterprise would also feature a commemorative 50th Anniversary display stand and a highly detailed, screen accurate sculpt based off of the filming miniature and the Polar Lights 1:350 scale model. Furthermore the Enterprise would feature a detailed bridge miniature enclosed within the ship and viewable through the bridge's dome, working bussard collectors and shuttle bay featuring the shuttle craft Galileo from the episode "Galileo 7" .

The ship would be built from high-quality ABS plastics and feature some mild-steel within the neck, pylons and nacelles to help the ship keep it's shape over time. The ship will have NO light-bleed and would be around the $200 mark.

When Qmx will undoubtedly do an artisan replica of this ship sooner or later, I believe there is a real desire for fans who don't have thousands of dollars to spend on a studio model, to own a studio scaled USS Enterprise without having to build it themselves. This is a perfect opportunity for Diamond Select to offer one up to us, the fans who can't afford to draw out a mortgage to pay for the QMx version.

Clearly this would be a very special item for the fans of such an iconic and important show. The price would reflect the quality and features this ship would have and would be marketed to us, the DST Star Trek collectors, the fans of the show and geeks who want  THE must-have item in 2016 to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek.

So... Zach? DST? Come on! This would be so so cool.

#2 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

I honestly can't imagine us making a three-foot long, $500 Enterprise, but Ask DST. I think you already did, in fact?

#3 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

Like I mentioned before...you most likely are going to have to track down a Master Replicas one. Hasbro did that MF after HOW MANY years ya know...and when the economy was a LOT better, No toy company is willing to take a shot on something like that. DST already took a gamble with the Life sized Captains Chair ya know. And I don't even know how that worked out for them in the long run.

#4 malloc64

malloc64

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:51 PM

Champagne/Caviar tastes and Hot pocket budgets don't mix. :)

QMX quality means QMX budget.  DST budget means DST quality.

#5 captainwallis

captainwallis

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:39 AM

I honestly can't imagine us making a three-foot long, $500 Enterprise, but Ask DST. I think you already did, in fact?

Thats a good point actually. When can we expect the next ASK DTS Trek? Hopefull for some news on ships.

#6 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:34 AM

Zach, do you not think that fans would spend $500 (£350) on that kind of model... $500 USS Enterprise is still cheaper than the $6,000 Qmx version and I know a lot of people who would have loved an Artisan replica but can't afford one, I also know a lot of people who would love the Polar Lights Enterprise but don't have the skills to build one and I also know people who have searched for the MR Enterprise only to be having to pay as much for it as they would the Qmx Artisan replicas so I totally think that a $500 USS Enterprise done well, without the issues many of your ships have, would be a huge hit! Doooo iiiiiit!! :D

#7 wmfike

wmfike

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

I would spend the $500.00 on it, sounds awesome, buy the usual issues of QC with Diamond's would have me worried. It's bad enough spending the $60.00 plus on some there stuff just to have it not work or be damaged, at $500.00 it would have to be spot on.

#8 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

Clearly duds always slip through the net whether it be a toy or a car but yeah totally it would need to be made to the highest possible standard which is why I think it would be an item developed and produced by DST and someone else like Polar Lights to get that quality control right.

#9 wmfike

wmfike

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Yes but a $20.00 to $60.00 can be a dud. Cars have things like extended warranties, I seriously doubt Diamonds is going to be issuing an extended warranty on it. So at $500.00 they better have it right the first time.

#10 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

Yes but a $20.00 to $60.00 can be a dud. Cars have things like extended warranties, I seriously doubt Diamonds is going to be issuing an extended warranty on it. So at $500.00 they better have it right the first time.

Sure however, there's always refunds and returning, exchanging items with the store but yes totally this item would have to be made to a higher standard than the $60 ships DST do at the moment.

#11 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:ST props, models, and Lightsabers OH MY!

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:36 AM

I think a better idea would be to have a built up 1/1000 polar lights version with the electronics kit for the bussards wired in for around $125-150.

-Kyp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users