The USS Enterprise D

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Images of the USS Enterprise D from DST have been posted on FB, it looks great with one exception... the WHOPING great big license crap you find on toys - only on most toys its tiny and hardly noticeable where as here it's as big as it could have possibly been made without DST stamping it across the entire saucer... WHY!!!!!!

#2 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Well, you certainly exaggerated that one. I was nearly expecting their trademark info to replace the 'Enterprise' registry. I thought maybe it was in braille when I couldn't find it on the top or lower sections of the actual saucer.

It is as well hidden as something that large could be on the ship, but that is still pretty big if you happen to be looking up the saucer's skirt. I'm guessing it would have cost a pretty penny to do a new run of that piece to have the information be part of the sculpt (so it wouldn't be noticeable unless seen upclose), but I don't see why the stamp couldn't use a smaller font size.

Here's hoping it's a sample and was changed to a smaller font before production began. If not, it's not the end of the world, at least all the windows will be there!

#3 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

My original issue one doesn't have that. I wonder if it might be due to some sort of government regulation. I remember when Mattel made the ghostbusters PKE meter prop it was only available in the US they said due to regulations in other countries requiring markings like that on the product.

#4 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

Not a deal breaker for me.... I will still get one.

#5 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

Does anybody here really plan on displaying their separated saucer section with the impulse engines pointed towards the viewer?

#6 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

Yeah I did go OTT but only because this is the ONLY collectors toy i've ever seen this kind of stamp on it in a part that is meant to be the main feature. Personally speaking I'll keep mine displayed with the saucer attached but its nice to be able to display it any way I want without having to hide something that huge and that silly. I think for those who do want to display it separated it gives those fans limited ways to display it and Zach yeah I think some fans may want to display it with the saucer lifting off of the secondary hull as per your photo showing the 'made in china' tag. It's certainly going to be visible if its on a shelf high up unless you display it head on which doesn't lend itself to the nicest way you can display an otherwise awesome model. Also this is a personal opinion but just because it's hidden doesn't mean it's not still there tormenting me lol.

I think if there's a way to remove it or make it less noticeable it should be discussed and ultimately decided to move it somewhere else (not under the nacelles) preferably within the battery compartment hidden from ANY angle a customer decides to display it in.

It just seems a shame you guys go all the way to put out some genuinely nice product, improving all the time, fixing the mistakes made on the previous run and to have that work ruined because of a factory/made in china stamp, it defeats the purpose of making something that's more detailed than a playmates toy. These are not toys for kids but toys for older 'kids' and I think this should be reflected in the overall detail and quality.

On the bright side, it's not as ridiculous as the Playmates 2009 movie Enterprise which had crap loads of ridiculous legal stuff. Cant you guys just put all this stuff on a piece of card that comes separate with the toy or even an easy peel off sticker that can be placed over the toy to be removed at the customers desecration?

Also please tell me Zach that this isn't on the other DST ships such as the B, Bird of Prey and refit 1701...

#7 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

I had a bunch of responses dissecting your arguments, but the fact that you would be haunted by it even if you couldn't see it renders all arguments moot. By your rationale, we could have written it in invisible ink or inside the battery case and you'd still hate it.

And I took literally a dozen pics of the B at the same stage. Not sure where the stamp is, but I didn't notice it.

#8 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

Yeah. It's not a big deal. I think you could have the saucer on a top shelf, posed in the Troi Maneuver (nose dive), and you'd still not notice it immediately. There's enough surrounding dark details that makes it look like it's just part of the decor at first glance. As you point out, Zach, it's unlikely anybody is even going to pose the saucer section like that. If y'all can shrink the font a little in any future releases then that'd be great, but as-is it's fine. There is far too much appreciate about the Enterprise-D to let that bit of hidden trademark come anywhere close to ruining it.

#9 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE (DSTZach @ Dec 11 2012, 01:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anybody here really plan on displaying their separated saucer section with the impulse engines pointed towards the viewer?
To be totally honest, I've considered it because that's where the LEDs are. I have my AGT

#10 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE (DSTZach @ Dec 11 2012, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had a bunch of responses dissecting your arguments, but the fact that you would be haunted by it even if you couldn't see it renders all arguments moot. By your rationale, we could have written it in invisible ink or inside the battery case and you'd still hate it.

And I took literally a dozen pics of the B at the same stage. Not sure where the stamp is, but I didn't notice it.

Ok I admit I've blown this way out of proportion... It is just a toy.

I'm confused as to why this is the only ship that has this kind of stamp since all of your other releases including the first release of the D had no such markings but instead had a tiny moulded plastic factory stamp.

If you could write it in invisible ink or UV ink or put all this info inside the battery cover or even mould a smaller version of it into the plastic like you have done in the past, then I would not hate it and it would not be an issue since it would not be visible at all.

Why not either mould it into the plastic at the same place in a smaller font or hide it somewhere else that isn't a feature like inside the battery compartment! That's all I'm saying or trying to say amidst rambling on.

Well said Alex!

#11 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

QUOTE (Alex @ Dec 12 2012, 03:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just out of curiosity, how many people who have the original release are planning to take the saucer from that 1701

#12 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

If that area of the ship is not meant to be seen then why are all the details painted on? Latches and Enterprise lettering are dwarfed by the legal warnings. I admit it's not a huge deal as others have said. I display mine as a whole but I occasionally take it off the shelf and pull it apart, that is the whole point of this right? Why make it separate in the first place if it's just going to reveal something not meant to be seen?

#13 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

Nobody said it wasn't meant to be seen, I just didn't think anyone preferred to stare at the "empty socket" portion of the separated ship, as opposed to the nose.

And I don't think price point has anything to do with the size or location of the stamp. I assume it isn't sculpted on due to our tendency to re-issue these items over time, necessitating regular changes in date.

#14 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (DSTZach @ Dec 12 2012, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And I don't think price point has anything to do with the size or location of the stamp. I assume it isn't sculpted on due to our tendency to re-issue these items over time, necessitating regular changes in date.

I'm pretty sure the price is due to plastic costs and labour but I think what Alex meant and correct me if I'm wrong Alex, is that a stamp like that cheapens the toy and doesn't reflect the price paid for it. I think if this were a mass produced Playmates or Hasbro ship then the stamp would be still annoying but accepted due to it being a mass market toy produced for kids whereas although technically you do toys, your product is seen and liked by an older fan and bought for display purposes. I've always thought your ships weren't so much toys as they are collectables for display so speaking for myself it's irritating to see stuff like this when it could have been put someplace not visible how ever inconsequential it may be

I mean take the 2009 playmates Enterprise, the underneath was covered in legal and health and safety stuff, it was irritating and didn't look great but on the whole people accepted it because we'll Playmates produce toys for kids.

#15 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (1701 @ Dec 12 2012, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure the price is due to plastic costs and labour but I think what Alex meant and correct me if I'm wrong Alex, is that a stamp like that cheapens the toy and doesn't reflect the price paid for it. I think if this were a mass produced Playmates or Hasbro ship then the stamp would be still annoying but accepted due to it being a mass market toy produced for kids whereas although technically you do toys, your product is seen and liked by an older fan and bought for display purposes.
That's exactly what I meant 1701; my apologies for any confusion. Although there may certainly be some children who have these ships, a good portion of the people buying them are in the "children at heart" group that tends to display their toys. A stamp such as this one cheapens the look of the ship when it's on display. If it were tucked away in the battery compartment, (either battery compartment or both of them

#16 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Honestly... I think this picture depicts just fine how little the trademark is going to interrupt potential displays. It's on the inside curve, so I think that will help keep it hidden either by being practically out of sight, or by being shadowed.

#17 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

You guys are making a huge fuss over something so stupid. The stamp makes it clearly the second release, a way to differentiate it from past and future releases. So flat out, you missed it the first time and dont like the stamp dont f***** buy it. There was a reason i stopped coming to this board, i got so sick of people bitching and bitching about some of the stupidest crap. You guys should be lucky we are gettingnew toys period. But whatever, if it makes u happy to nitpick everything then go for it. Why shouldnt DST mark their product? Just like an artist signing a painting

#18 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Given that it has to be somewhere, I think where they put it is just fine. In fact, I dare say the best place, given that it has to be externally visible. Somewhere along the way I missed the episode featuring the electrical contacts in the saucer's docking port that are right above the text, so if you're going to need "real world" allowances in the toy, why not co-locate them in as many spots as possible? Honestly, though - if it's really that bothersome, it's easy enough to display the secondary hull of this release with the saucer of your first release E-D anyway.

I find it much more bothersome that the stand for my original release D won't hold up the ship anymore unless I use both stands, even if the saucer's not separated. Darn thing keeps pitching forward and falling off my shelf otherwise. I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about that though. The design of the ship is such that it's inherently top heavy.

#19 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (BadBunnyMike @ Dec 12 2012, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys are making a huge fuss over something so stupid. The stamp makes it clearly the second release, a way to differentiate it from past and future releases. So flat out, you missed it the first time and dont like the stamp dont f***** buy it. There was a reason i stopped coming to this board, i got so sick of people bitching and bitching about some of the stupidest crap. You guys should be lucky we are gettingnew toys period. But whatever, if it makes u happy to nitpick everything then go for it. Why shouldnt DST mark their product? Just like an artist signing a painting
BadBunnyMike, the additional windows also make it clearly the second release, at least for the time being. If we get to the third release, I could see there being the need for an additional indicator. And as I stated before, my issue isn't with DST marking their product, it's with them marking it in that particular location. For reference, here's the relevant part of my previous post:

QUOTE (Alex @ Dec 12 2012, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have no issue with a copyright marking being somewhere on the toy; in fact I think it's a good idea for a variety of reasons, (e.g. proves it's a licensed item, IDs the release an item's from, etc.,) but I just don't think it should be visible on the exterior of the ship. If the legal copy were tucked away into the battery compartment, or stamped on the bottom of the stand as it was in the past, it would still be visible when it needed to be, but it wouldn't intrude on potential display options.
So yes, I do think DST should mark their product, I'd just prefer they do it in one or both of the battery compartments instead of on the exterior of the hull. I'll still buy the upcoming release, but I'm going to have to hold onto my first

#20 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (Alex @ Dec 13 2012, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What worries me more than the Enterprise–D is the upcoming release of the Enterprise–B and re–release of the Enterprise–E. There's no "saucer separation" area where a stamp like this can be located, which is why I think that the battery compartment would be an ideal location. Think about it, if you keep the ship in the box, this is a moot point; you'll never see the legal copy, and the box has the same or similar markings on it somewhere as well. If you open the ship though, the first thing that you're probably going to do is flip the "try me/play mode" switch, and that's in the battery compartment. In effect, placing the stamp in the battery compartment forces people to see it at least once, and hides it from unnecessary exposure in the future. Again, this is more of an issue on the 1701–B and 1701–E than the 1701–D, but I still think it's worth addressing. Then again, Zach said he couldn't find the stamp's location on the 1701–B, so maybe it won't be an issue on that ship or the upcoming re–release of the 1701–E.

This is exactly what worries me more too and would probably make me sell them on if they had such markings unless DST can confirm that they will have this kind of stamp on them, if so then I'll pass on all of them and just stick to what Hasbro do if anything with Trek. If the legal stuff on the Bird of Prey, B and E are engraved into the plastic or hidden from ANY ANGLE then awesome and I'll either pass on the D or put up with the black legal marking.

This legal stuff on the D may just be due to the pretty hefty magnets within the Enterprise D?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users