131 replies to this topic

#21 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ May 4 2007, 10:25 AM) View Post
Im just very afraid of who he is going to drop it to. Batista is total garbage. He truly is the poor mans lesnar.

Really??

As I said, it's very rare I watch the main event matches or any involving the bigger guys....but I had always assumed people thought Batista was awesome.

It seems most do not like Cena or Bobby Lashley. It is a shame many of the main event heavyweights these days are poor performers!! or are there other reasons people do not like them?

Mr. Kennedy seems to be putting on a lot of weight these days. Unless he always looked like that....you'd think with all the training they do, weight would not be a problem. But he may drink a lot of alcohol...that'll pile on the pounds. Val Venis, Sylvan & Matt Striker are also losing the figures they once had.

Whats the deal with the steroids? When Chris Masters stopped taking the juice, he lost a lot of his size. But guys like Batista seem as big as ever.
Are they a bit more leanient on the main eventers?

#22 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:23 AM

i wouldn't mind kennedy taking the strap, but i think there are others more deserving of a title run first, even if it just a short one

Benoit - i think he should drop the US title to MVP and go for the big one. Sure, he's not the best on the mic but he's an awesome wrestler. He derves at least one more run at the top

Kane - I like Regal and Taylor, but their feud with Kane is not really going anywhere. And i'm not altogether thrilled with the idea of Kane and Boogyeman as a tag-team. CLassic case of WWE just randomly throwing together two stars and calling them a tag-team. There has also been talk of Glenn Jacobs not wanting another title run, but Kane more than anyone deserves. He's consistently been one of WWE's best workers, he's loyal, and he's had to put up with so much crap, yet all he really has to show for it is a less-than-24hr WWF title reign back in 1998.

I think Henry should take out Batista and Undertaker in their scheduled title match, causing the match to go to a no-finish. Taker gets injured during the assault, the title is vacated, and so a tournament - return of King of the Ring again? - is set up, with the winner of the tournament winning the World Heavyweight title. Batista and Henry should be paired together during the tournament, and during their match, they each get disqualified. Then we can have a Batsita-Henry feud while keeping both well away from the title

#23 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Most Sci Fi, however a strong emphasis on Star Trek, Stargate, and Doctor Who.

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE(Artistix @ May 3 2007, 11:44 PM) View Post
Mr. Kennedy seems to be putting on a lot of weight these days. Unless he always looked like that....you'd think with all the training they do, weight would not be a problem. But he may drink a lot of alcohol...that'll pile on the pounds. Val Venis, Sylvan & Matt Striker are also losing the figures they once had.

Kennedy (along with a few others) have been getting a lot of praise from management because they apparently have been studying tapes of 80s matches in order to improve their ring psychology. So at least he's improving on some front. tongue.gif

QUOTE(Will Riker @ May 4 2007, 02:23 AM) View Post
i wouldn't mind kennedy taking the strap, but i think there are others more deserving of a title run first, even if it just a short one

Benoit - i think he should drop the US title to MVP and go for the big one. Sure, he's not the best on the mic but he's an awesome wrestler. He derves at least one more run at the top

Kane - I like Regal and Taylor, but their feud with Kane is not really going anywhere. And i'm not altogether thrilled with the idea of Kane and Boogyeman as a tag-team. CLassic case of WWE just randomly throwing together two stars and calling them a tag-team. There has also been talk of Glenn Jacobs not wanting another title run, but Kane more than anyone deserves. He's consistently been one of WWE's best workers, he's loyal, and he's had to put up with so much crap, yet all he really has to show for it is a less-than-24hr WWF title reign back in 1998.

I agree with both of these choices for another title run. Benoit has been one of my favorite wrestlers in any promotion since I first saw his debut in WCW (late 1995). As for Kane, yeah he does deserve more than a 24 hour reign, but I hear he doesn't want to hog the spotlight from the younger guys nowadays.

#24 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:07 AM

Artistix, i think the loss of muscle mass is more to do with WWE's wellness policy, which came into effect after Eddie Guerrero died. They frown on people who are taking steroids which are not prescripted. Of course, there is a certain bias favouring main-eventers, as Orton's relative lack of punishment for yet more indiscipline shows. In terms of steroid use, i think Test would be the best example. He is reported to have failed the drugs test sometime in the autumn of last year, but as he was gearing for a main-event run with Lashley, nothing happened to him. As soon as the feud had run its course at the beginning of this year, he was promptly given a 30-day suspension for violating the wellness policy, and shortly thereafter he was fired. Test claims the decision to leave was his, but i'm not so sure.

As for Val's physique - yeah, he was quite ripped once. But can you blame the guy? I mean, he's been on Heat now for what, the past 4yrs? Not much motive to stay in absolute top shape lol.

EB, i read the same about Kennedy too. And weren't those 'few others' Cade and Murdoch. I'm happy for Cade and Murdoch, cos they remind me of an old-school tag team (well, lets be fair, everything about Murdoch screams 'old-school') and i think WWE could use a few more throw-backs without resorting to the 'Legends'

Back to Kane - thats my understanding as well. He's happy to put over younger talent for the sake of the future of the company. Thats a noble cause, which he deserves credit for. I can think of a few others who could do with this kind of thinking (off the top of my head i can think of Undertaker and Hogan who both managed to destroy any credibility Orton had as a legend killer. Orton should've won both of those feuds) but i wish Kane (along with Shawn Michaels, who seems to have adopted Kane's policy as well) would be a bit more selfish every now and then lol. I mean, the guy has been with the company for over 10 yrs! Surely he has some pull backstage

#25 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:56 PM

Some pics of me in the ring: biggrin.gif

#26 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

Finally some pics!!! Great stuff!

As for the comments before...
1. Batista is not well liked for his inring work. They purposely book him in matches with good workers to hide his faults (ie Undertaker/HHH)

2. Kennedy went down as is out for 8 weeks (orginally reported as 8 months but it wasnt a tear)

3. Edge won the World title!!!! Awesome move considering smackdown is severely lacking in talent these days.

4. I wonder if Edge will constitute a good worker to main event vs. batista?

With all the injuries the wwf is going to have to do something drastic in the coming months to shake up the rosters.

#27 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:13 PM

I noticed a lot of people were going out for a while due to injury. Poor guys.

I finally remembered to order a TNA PPV....& for the first time in a few months...no womens match! laugh.gif
And I gather we won't see any until Jacqueline has recovered. Just my luck.

What matches should I be watching out for?

Oh, & please put messages in this thread reminding me it is on...I'm crap at remembering PPV's! biggrin.gif

#28 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:21 AM

cool pics, artistix! in that attire, you look like a younger version of Waylon Mercy.

i feel so bad for Kennedy - he could've kept the briefcase for those two months he was out injured, like Edge did when he was MITB but was injured a few years ago. Although i understand the necessity of having a World Champion, with Judgment Day only a few weeks away. On the plus side tho, looks like we should be getting Edge vs Kennedy at SummerSlam! I can't wait for that one!

BTW, did anyone read the news that TNA have got their new World and Tag titles, and are in the process of getting a new X-Division title? Apparently, theres gonna be a big tournament over the summer to crown the new TNA World Heavyweight Champion

#29 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Most Sci Fi, however a strong emphasis on Star Trek, Stargate, and Doctor Who.

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:10 AM

Yeah, they are going to debut the belts as soon as tonight I hear.. and the tourney is for the NWA WHC that NWA is holding over several events.

As for PPV matches to look out for, tonights Sacrifice PPV has quite a few good matches:

Robert Roode vs Jeff Jarrett
Sting vs Christian Cage vs Kurt Angle for the Heavyweight Title
AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe
And the 2 X-Division matches should be good.

#30 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:42 PM

Dammit! I am NOT happy with the outcome of the NWA Title match!

Roode vs Jarrett, on the other hand, is a different matter!

#31 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:12 AM

Apparently NWA stripped Christian Cage of the title yesterday afternoon. Also Team 3D were stripped of their titles as well, so the change to TNA titles is already starting.

On May 13, 2007, the NWA stripped the NWA World Heavyweight Championship from Christian Cage and the NWA World Tag Team Championship from Team 3D (Brother Ray and Brother Devon). As of May 14, 2007, TNA has yet to acknowledge this, continuing to recognise Team 3D as the NWA World Tag Team Champions and Kurt Angle (who defeated Cage following the vacation of the title by the NWA) as the NWA World Heavyweight Champion. The NWA has declared the titles vacant and has not recognized Angle's title reign. The physical title belts remain in the possession of TNA.

#32 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:55 PM

wow, i didn't know that EB

i hope TNA uses this in a storyline, as far as Christian is concerned

seeing as he 'lost' the title when he was no longer champion, technically Angle is not the champ

and since nobody beat Christian for the title (in a sense, thats true of the ending of the PPV, too) he can legitamately claim to be the real owner of the TNA World Heavyweight Championship

Or something like that lol

#33 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:52 AM

THE NEW TNA WORLD TITLES TO BE UNVEILED THIS WEEK ON TNA TODAY!
By Bill Banks

In a huge exclusive for TNAwrestling.com, the new TNA World Titles will be unveiled for everyone to see all this week on

#34 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:57 PM

for those who cannot wait, here are pics of the new belts

Follow the links for the new TNA belts!

i know the NWA title is prestigious and all, but THAT looks like a heavyweight championship belt lol

Speaking of championships, i have a general wondering about the Intercontinental title

Does anyone else miss when that belt used to mean something? I mean, when it was actually used a springboard for stepping up to the main event. Off the top of my head, IC feuds such as Michaels vs Hart, Rock vs Austin and Rock vs HHH eventually and successfully transitioned into actual heavyweight title feuds. You don't really see that anymore. Does anyone reckon any recent IC feuds could be developed into heavyweight title feuds someday?

I'm thinking Orton vs Edge and Orton vs Benjamin from a few years back, as well as last yrs Nitro/Benjamin/Carlito feud, but thats about it. I want to say Jeff Hardy vs Nitro as well, but theres something about Hardy that prevents me from ever buying him as a legitimate title contender (unlike Matt Hardy)

Thats one thing i definately dislkie about the brand extension. too many interchangeable championships that kind've diminish the overall value of championships in WWE.

Another thing i'd like to see is more people go the Bret Hart route. Tag team champ, to IC champ, to World champ. Perfect. Sadly, i don't see that happening anytime soon, as it would require patience and long-term planning on WWE's part. As far as i know, the furthest they plan ahead is the next yr's Mania main events (which i admit is still pretty far given the nature the wrestling industry, but still...)

#35 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:56 PM

TNA is claiming lineage from the NWA title to theirs apparently... similar to what WCW did back in the 90s.

Love the look of the Tag Titles myself.

and yeah I miss how the IC belt's original purpose as well.. and I don't see it returning to that form anytime soon due to the number of performers in the company nowadays, too many maineventers.. not enough space for the mid card to move to.

I hope TNA eventually creates a midcard belt, but I guess in a way the X-Title serves a dual purpose of Cruiserweight and midcard now (Samoa Joe, AJ, and Christopher Daniels being the example).

#36 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:00 AM

i thought the x-division title wasn't supposed to be looked at as analogous to WWE's cruiserweight title (which is why a guy like Joe can ve X-Champion). i thought the x-division was supposed to represent TNA's philosophy of 'No limits'' (Now theres a shot at WWE if ever i saw one lol)

yeah, the wwe roster is waaaay too big (though you could argue that point about TNA as well). it seems like all secondary titles have lost their importance...the IC, US, Cruiserweight and Tag titles don't seem to really matter any more. I mean, when was the last time there was IC title match at Wrestlemania? Although i have to say the current Benoit-MVP feud is bringing a tonne of credibility back to the US title

back to my original point about Bret Hart...i've thought of someone who's gone through that route...Edge. But thats about it. And i'm still holding out one day for that Edge vs Christian world title feud that would also fill my 'IC feud to world title feud' criteria

#37 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:00 PM

I had seen that news that due to WWE catering to a bigger, broader audience now, they were going to try & make the Divas 'classy' as opposed to the cheap whores they often tend to pass them off as.

This was then scrapped because it would spoil aspects of the Diva search (don't get me started on that bloody thing!) dry.gif

I highly doubt it was something they were seriously considering anyway. But it would have been nice.

Still on the women, I see TNA is in trouble due to the large amount of men beating women lately on their show! Traci taking the guitar shot & what not. I find that kinda silly...if the women are happy to take these bumps/blows, & people appreciate them doing so, it should not be an issue.

I do understand where they are coming from...I just don't think it's a big deal.

I don't know if it still occurs, but I do recall Moolah saying it was illegal for women to wrestler in some places!

I gather a lot of men don't like seeing women get hurt in general, which again, I understand, but if it's ok with the women themselves...it shouldn't be such a problem.

That was just a vent...please continue with your conversation! biggrin.gif

#38 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:43 AM

lol at WWE retracting their policy almost as soon as they'd implemented it. and i'm with you artistix. i absolutely HATE the diva search. i hate anything and everything to do with reality television (which forms a large part of my dislike of the Miz, apart from the fact that he's the most annoying person i've seen on a wrestling show since Todd Pettingil). as far as i'm concerned, the diva search is a waste of airtime - i would rather sit through a long-winded, 20 minute Lashley promo than watch a 10 min DS segment (Oh crap, i just realized Miz will be presenting the DS...DAMN!!)

the worst thing about the DS is that hard-working people who are passionate about their profession, like Vito, get released just to free up some funds and roster space to hire those talentless women who have probably never seen a wrestling show in their life. i have nothing against those women who came from the DS like michelle mccool and candice who are actually trying to be wrestlers, but what the hell have the likes of brooke, layla and maryse done? and theres theres former winner ashley who seems to gets injured everytime she steps into the ring!

as far as TNA goes...i love it when tv 'critics' try and take the moral high ground when it comes to wrestling. its a tv show! they should stop taking it so seriously. (don't get ME started on what they did to the career of Muhammad Hassan) all the ladies know what they are getting themselves into when the step into a wrestling ring (actually, i should say most, as i have serious reservations about some of the DS contestents), so if they think the risk is acceptable, who are we or anyone else to try to limit what they can do in their chosen profession

besides, for all the outcry against men-on-woman violence, it wasn't a man who knocked out jackie moore's teeth, was it?

#39 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:12 AM

On the subject of man on woman violence it doesnt really matter if a woman is consenting to the violence, it still makes man on woman violence look acceptable to people watching. If a woman is married and her husband beats her and she does nothing about it and lets it happen is that ok? I know its just a TV show but studies have shown that people quickly become desensitized to certain things when they constantly see it on TV. I believe that if it is used in wrestling it should be used once in a blue moon and it should be one ofthe most horrific and cowardly acts ever portrayed on the show. TNA seems to constantly do it and when its done its no big deal.

Another issue all together is a mixed tag team match. This is a little more acceptable because the woman is trying to compete with the men kinda like when a girl tries out for a high school football/wrestling team. This represents true consent. Having a wrestler run out and bash a female or attack a female in a womans match or at ringside is despicable and should be treated as such and used rarely.

#40 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:46 AM

i take your point about someone randomly running down and attacking a woman for no reason. that shouldn't happen

i was thinking more along the lines of a woman interfering (a la Traci Brooks recently getting whacked on the head with jarret's guitar) in a match or segment, and then gettng attacked as some sort of come-uppance

as far as desensitization goes...i must be rare among satistics then, because i've been following wrestling since i was at a young and impressionable age, and i'm the least violent person in the world. i try and avoid getting into a fight if i can, and to be honest i've not been in any sort of fight in yrs. and i've never once thought hitting a woman was acceptable behaviour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users