• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:48 PM

Any thoughts on the second major Trek series?

Start off with some easy questions:

1. Fave characters
2. Fave episodes
3. Fave ships & sets

#2 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:08 PM

1. Troi and GUINAN! laugh.gif

2. I think Masks, The Offspring, and Genesis.

3. DST Ent-E and Playmates Engineering set (amazing!)

-EDIT-

Having a blonde day. Favorite ship: Enterprise E Favorite Set: Enterprise D Stellar Cartography in Generations (freakin sweet!)

#3 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:16 PM

1. Riker, Data

2. Relics, Yesterdays Enterprise, Parallels, Second Chances, The Inner Light.

3. Loved the Enterpise C from Yesterdays Enterprise.

#4 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:30 PM

Data, Worf, Picard

Deja Q, the Defector, the Best of Both Worlds, Thine Own Self, First Contact

Enterprise D, Romuan Warbird

#5 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:57 PM

1. Fave characters
2. Fave episodes
3. Fave ships & sets

1. Beverly was my favourite...but I really liked them all. Data annoyed me at the time, but I have since grown quite fond of him.
The only character I do not have too much of an opinion on is Geordi. I really need to watch his episodes again.

2. Hmmmmm....Really liked Best of Both Worlds, Conspiracy, The Offspring, Genesis, Remember Me, Inner light, Big Goodbye, Family, Violations & many others!!

Shades of Grey was the pits...I really hated that episode laugh.gif

#6 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:29 PM

I really disliked the "D", who needs kids in space? Wesley was the worst character in all of Star Trek. They very rarely went "boldly" anywhere. Most captain logs began "We have arrived at Planet X, where we a remediating a dispute with the So and So's and the Whats there Names".....

#7 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(Sybeck1 @ Mar 22 2007, 08:29 PM) View Post
who needs kids in space? Wesley was the worst character in all of Star Trek.

I wholeheartedly agree that kids in Trek is a bad idea, and the concept that children would be put aboard a ship in a military (or pseudo-military) organization, part of whose job is defense, is absolutely ludicrous to me.

#8 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE(A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees @ Mar 22 2007, 10:59 PM) View Post
I wholeheartedly agree that kids in Trek is a bad idea, and the concept that children would be put aboard a ship in a military (or pseudo-military) organization, part of whose job is defense, is absolutely ludicrous to me.

I can understand both sides of this. Yes, Starfleet's job is "exploration" and it is nice to have the officer's family onboard, but Starfleet is called to defend certain planets or whatnot so that is a foolish idea to have so many innocents on board.

Yar was my favorite. Once she died the mantle of "Chris's favorite" went to Troi. My favorites always die or leave (Rand, Jadzia, Kes).

Fave episodes: Yesterday's Enterprise, Disaster, Power Play, Face of the Enemy, Cause and Effect

Fave sets: the bridge of the D was always comforting.

#9 DST Trek Collector

DST Trek Collector

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:31 PM

Well, this is gonna be a hard one for me as i really loved TNG. It was always my favourite form the very start. Ok,
1. Picard, Data, Troi if i had to pick. I realy liked them all, and the way they worked together. Recurring characters would be Q, Guinan.
2. There are so many i liked, this is really hard. Hide and Q, Q who, Samaritan snare, Darmok, the inner light, genesis, chain of command, best of both worlds, brothers, descent, all good things. I have to stop now or i'll go on forever.
3. Ship; Ent D. Set; Bridge, observation lounge, captains ready room.

#10 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:48 AM

I'm with DST Trek Collector on this one...TNG is and will always be my favourite incarnation of Trek, so to pick a few favourites is going to be tough.

1. Riker (obviously), Picard, O'Brien, Q, Barclay, Wesley Crusher (yes, i said it - when i first got into Trek, i was about 13 yrs old, so i thought it was cool to see a kid around my age flying the ship and, more often than not saving the entire crew. Although now i'm older, i do find him irritating at times)

2 This is gonna be tough! Although i haven't seen TNG in quite a while, here are a few of the top of my head: Best of Both Worlds (Part 1); every single Q episode; any Barclay episode; The Wounded; Chain of Command (Parts 1 and 2); the whole story arc revolving around the Klingon Civil War, starting with Sins of the Father; The Pegasus.

3 Ship: E-D; Sets: The Bridge and Engineering sets (mainly because i've been on replicas of them at Star Trek: The Adventure a few years ago and thought they were great, especially the Bridge set)

#11 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE(Will Riker @ Mar 24 2007, 02:48 AM) View Post
... any Barclay episode ...

And I begin to lose all hope in humanity. tongue.gif laugh.gif

I think that Barclay was 1,000,000,000 times more annoying that even Wesley Crusher! I know some of you think that he was the most human of characters on TNG, but I have NEVER met a human like him ... NEVER! I have worked in healthcare (even in the ER), in retail, and in 'blue collar' environments and I have never met anyone that could function in society with his types of phobias and problems - especially an engineer working with highly dangerous, very complicated equipment. Heck, I've met people with personality disorders in the state mental hospital that weren't as annoying as him. I think he broke the mold of pristine Trek character (although I would argue that all the characters had their human flaws), but I think it was overdone and overplayed.

That's my peace anyway. LOL

#12 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:27 AM

Barclay was actually kinda funny to me. I got a kick out of him, especially in FC.

#13 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:34 PM

I wasn't a huge Barclay fan....but I did not dislike him at all.

I was always happy to see Ro & Q.

Did Denise Crosby's career go anywhere after TNG?

#14 LwaxanaLover

LwaxanaLover

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:17 PM

#15 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Mar 24 2007, 11:34 PM) View Post
Did Denise Crosby's career go anywhere after TNG?

Oh sure. I saw her on a movie called "Mandroid"... which I think went straight to video.
I think she was a villian on a couple of episodes of "Lois and Clark" or something like that.
And then she hosted "Trekkies".

Her career skyrocketed after she left TNG!*

*The preceding post was dripping with sarcasm

#16 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(Chalksquared @ Mar 26 2007, 03:32 PM) View Post
Her career skyrocketed after she left TNG!*

Not surprising. Her delivery was, IMO, really, really bad in most of her TNG appearances. In her defense, her character was poorly written and rather one note, but she did herself no favors. Remember her strenuous defense of humanity in the pilot?

"This court should get down on its KNEES to what Starfleet IS! WHAT IT REPRESENTS!"

Now, what she was given to say ws dreadful, but even what it was could have been delivered better. She was definitely worse than Sirtis (again, IMO) who I think was a decent enough actress (though in no danger of winning any awards) who just didn't know what to do with her "empathic" character lines. As a result the "I sense great pain" lines came off horribly, but when she wasn't doing that stuff, was OK. (I still contend though that Troi would have been best suited to Barclay-sytle guest appearance status when the script clearly calls for psychoanalysis of a character, rather than a regular. There's just no compelling reason to have her on the bridge all the time, and she more often than not stated the perfectly obvious thanks to her magical abilities. He's lying, counselor? NOOOOoooo kidding?! You don't say?!)

#17 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:29 PM

I was just rewatching the episode "Conundrum" (where the crew got amnesia and were told to destroy the central command of some species) and I thought:

Wouldn't it have been more effective for that Commander McDuff fellow to alter the Enterprise files to say HE was the commanding officer instead of just the X.O.?

#18 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(Chalksquared @ Apr 2 2007, 03:29 PM) View Post
Wouldn't it have been more effective for that Commander McDuff fellow to alter the Enterprise files to say HE was the commanding officer instead of just the X.O.?[/font]

In terms of destroying the Lycian command centre, yes, it would have. However, it would be much harder to shift the blame away from the Federation if Picard himself had pulled the trigger.

"McDuff" may also not have been able to gain command code clearance to the computer, which most likely various critical operations might need in a battle. I don't think we ever saw him use a "command code" did we?

It's been a long time since I've seen that episode. What was Riker's position? Chief "Red Alert" officer?

#19 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees @ Apr 2 2007, 04:13 PM) View Post
In terms of destroying the Lycian command centre, yes, it would have. However, it would be much harder to shift the blame away from the Federation if Picard himself had pulled the trigger.

"McDuff" may also not have been able to gain command code clearance to the computer, which most likely various critical operations might need in a battle. I don't think we ever saw him use a "command code" did we?

It's been a long time since I've seen that episode. What was Riker's position? Chief "Red Alert" officer?

I don't think the Suderans (I think that was what they were called) wanted to blame the Federation, per se, just wanted the Lysian Central Command destroyed.

But your guess was the only logical explanation I could come up with as well.

And Riker was listed as "Second Officer" in that episode... and took poor Troi's seat!!! Poor lass.

#20 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE(A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees @ Mar 27 2007, 05:44 AM) View Post
She was definitely worse than Sirtis (again, IMO) who I think was a decent enough actress (though in no danger of winning any awards)

Same with Gates. They did all have their time to shine...but in certain instances they came off rather over dramatic.

I wasn't a huge fan of Diane Muldaur (sp), but I thought she was the best female actor in early TNG. Same with Whoopi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users