Photo

Art Asylum Forum Closure - Any Other Refugees?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Frontier

Frontier

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:17 AM

So I'm not sure if this is the correct place for such, but I thought it might be, so going to find out. LOL.

I'm just curious if there are any other "refugees" here from the old Art Asylum forums? You know, the ones DST shut down on us all the other week when they "revamped" the Art Asylum website...

That was my source for Trek and other Merchandise discussions. Alas, I've had to find a new home for such, so I came here. On the plus side, this place looks a bit more active. smile.gif I was just hoping to touch base with any other former "inmates" who've washed up upon these far shores. biggrin.gif

#2 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:53 AM

I moved this it the Random Thoughts area since it is not really about AA /DST products and more about their former forum.

I was one of the first people to ever sign up on the AA forum back in the day. It was the one forum that no matter where I went, I always came back. However longer work hours and having my own forum here, in time, I hardly made it back. Although when I did, I could still find a few of the old timers that know who Fatheadcookie was!! smile.gif

I was a bit disappointed in it shutting down, but glad that some of the really great members have found their way here.

#3 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:06 AM

I think we all started out over at the AA boards. I think the list might be shorter if you asked, who hasnt been a member over there biggrin.gif I would assume some people changed names on the move so maybe if people want to declare their past lives, this might be a good place to do it. Im also thinking that some people might want a fresh start and leave some of their past behind and might not want to declare. Ill go 1st:
AA boards = thehsbr
TT boards = TheHSBR

Shocker, I know. blink.gif

#4 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:19 AM

I also started there, and read both here & there after I found this place. I was sad to see it go, but glad we've still got here (until 2011 wink.gif hehe).

My name there was "reverie".. my name here is .. um..

#5 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:39 AM

I only joined the AA boards in January as DS9_Fan, however, when I found this place I joined and since have spent most of my time on this forum.

#6 J C R

J C R

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:44 AM

I am here from AA. I like Trektoy Forum, its just getting used to a new site and figuring out all the features, options, etc. Well, new for me that is.

#7 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

Welcome to the forum Frontier!

Yeah, I am an early AA member too. Been around a long time, but FHC will always have been around longer than me. tongue.gif

I have to admit I do miss the news and information that the AA board brought. It was a cool place to go and get some stuff that members here miss. We are getting better and I think that, with the AA members finding us, we will have that again ... just with a little more civility.

We are glad to have all the new members signing up and hope we are offering some useful stuff!

#8 spider1981

spider1981

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

I was pretty upset when they pulled the plug on their forums without any notice to anyone. I thought it was not a very respectful way to treat the community they built and the people who buy their products.
Fortunately, I heard about these forums from there, and the AA forum dying was the kick in the but to get me to register.
At first I was bummed because the activity here ( at least the AA/DST board) seemed to be a heck of a lot slower than the AA forum, but things seemed to have picked up quite a bit as of late.
So far, I really like this place and think the discussions contain a lot more civility. The AA/DST boards tended to spiral into flame fests at the drop of a hat.
smile.gif

#9 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:09 PM

Spider, welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy the sanctuary that Mark and his team have built. This is a little bit different type of forum, than others out there. Which is probable why it's so darn successful. Member find a way to talk about their passion for anything Star Trek in whatever form it's interpreted in, without it turning into a flame war. As far as the AA forum going down? I haven't been a member of that forum for quite some time and knew the forum was going down when it did. So I don't think it was that much of a surprise, like the last time the forum went down for a few months.

#10 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:57 PM

Like most everyone else I was a member of the AA forums from several versions ago I started right around the time the collectors club died. That was actualy the very first forum of any kind I ever joined. After going through several versions of it I noticed that with each version it seemed to get a little worse and unrully. I was a member at this last verson for a while but could not take all the negativity and trolls so I took the leap and joined this place. After seeing how great the people were here and how civilized a community could be I went ahead and deleted my AA membership and never looked back. I am not sorry to see it gone since it was just a shell of what it used to be but I agree that members should have been given a little warning so that they could at least have tied up any loose trades, etc.

#11 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:08 PM

OK time for a little light fun. I've been wanting to post this since this topic started, but most of the time, I'm looking at the forum on my phone, so here it is

drum roll

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr bump bump

The words to Refuge by Tom Petty!! biggrin.gif

We get somethin' we both know it, we don't talk too much about it.
Ain't no real big secret; all the same, 'somehow we get around it.
Listen, it don't really matter to me.
Baby, you believe what you wanna believe.
You see, you don't have to live like a refugee.
Somewhere, somehow, somebody must have kicked you around some.
Tell me why you wanna lay there, revel in your abandon.
Honey, it don't make no difference to me.
Baby, everybody's had to fight to be free.
No baby, you don't have to live like a refugee.
Baby, we ain't the first.
I'm sure a lot of other lovers been burned.
Right now this ain't real to you.
It's one of those things you got to feel to be true.
Somewhere, somehow, somebody must have kicked you around some.
Who knows, maybe you were kidnapped, tied-up, taken away, and held for
ransom.
Honey, it don't really matter to me.
Baby, everybody's had to fight to be free.
No, you don't have to live like a refugee.
Baby, you don't have to live like a refugee.

now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

#12 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:31 PM

We're all former drinkers of the Art Asylum forum Kool-Aid. I found this place through the TrekBBS. Now I pretty much stopped going on the BBS, and spend most of my trek-related online time here.

Anybody else a TrekBBS refugee?

#13 X-Ray

X-Ray

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:44 PM

I Started out over at the AA forums, then I found this one and barely posted there again. I bid welcome to the new arrivals!

#14 J C R

J C R

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:08 AM

Ive noticed this forum seems a lot nicer than AA as well. I posted their for a long time as well, then I really got discoraged after a post congratulating George Takei on his marriage turned into something really ugly. It did seem everything there was a big debate. Anyways, I am glad I am here!

#15 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(J C R @ Aug 16 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive noticed this forum seems a lot nicer than AA as well. I posted their for a long time as well, then I really got discoraged after a post congratulating George Takei on his marriage turned into something really ugly. It did seem everything there was a big debate. Anyways, I am glad I am here!

Tell me about it. I found myself caught up in a few of those threads (battle grounds) trying to be a voice of reason along with 2 or 3 other people. I found that many of the people there were so opinionated, negative, and hateful towards the majority of subjects, that it was very scary. I find it hard to fathom that those people were Star Trek Fans.

spock2.gif

#16 Trek Forever

Trek Forever

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

I have been reading, lurking if you want to call it, and I want to go on record as saying I believe this to be the best forum on the net to discuss Trek Collecting. If it's not, it's one of the best.

I lurked over at the AA forum but never posted much do to the fact that I was not interested in starting a thread, or even posting in one, only to see it turn into a cyber fist fight. I also go back far enough to remember that FHC here, which I'm sure was fatheadcookie over AA, was the one that helped so many of us get our stuff from the Collector club after it's true leader, and future con promoter, failed to get it to us.

FHC runs a good ship here in my opinion. smile.gif

#17 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE(A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees @ Aug 15 2008, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody else a TrekBBS refugee?

TrekBBS was the first forum I joined when I got on the Net so many, many years ago. I abandoned that place when the rampant negativity just go to be too much for me. Now, I only post there two or three times a year.

I became an AA fan when they released their Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon line and joined their forum then. It got out of control for a while, so I left, but I came back when their collectors club was starting up. Like many here, I suffered through that debacle. I left when the club was dissolved, I think. It was when Don and some of the others came here. It's all a little fuzzy, and I'm trying to repress those memories, on the advice of my psychiatrist.

#18 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:30 PM

I left the TrekBBS for the same reason as Pickard. The only section on that place that I will still visit is the Trek Tech Section.

#19 Frontier

Frontier

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:25 AM

I don't like TrekBBs much myself of late. I have gone back and forth on them for years. I stay because it's got so many people, it's one of the few places you can really get a lot of opinions.

My real "home" though is the Omega Sector. (http://www.theomegasector.com)

Those are the forums for TrekCore.com. They're really nice, if I do say so myself. Granted, I'm a bit bias, being an admin there, lol. But we really strive to take the best elements of TrekBBs... and leave the rest there! LOL.

This place, and Superherohype (which I'm not too fond of the admins of... they seem to delete posts without even telling you why...) are my other forums. I need many homes. smile.gif

#20 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE(Thomas E. Johnson @ Aug 17 2008, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tell me about it. I found myself caught up in a few of those threads (battle grounds) trying to be a voice of reason along with 2 or 3 other people. I found that many of the people there were so opinionated, negative, and hateful towards the majority of subjects, that it was very scary. I find it hard to fathom that those people were Star Trek Fans.

As do I. Anyhoo, I was "Mrs Shinzon" over at AA, but that's prolly a no-brainer!

I thought there were a couple of real pests over at AA whose posting came very close to trolling at times. I am pleased to say that the pests haven't found there way over here...yet, but if they ever do than they'll quickly stick out like a wart on a behind, and no doubt they'll be swiftly ejected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users