New Battlestar Movie?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:57 PM

Well dont get too excited...
http://trekmovie.com...e-st09-tidbits/

To me this idea sounds like a guaranteed failure. So you have a successful tv show and 20 some years later you decide to reboot it and completely change everything. This show too is very successful. Then you decide to go back and simply recast the old series and make a movie? Seriously? I dont care what your feeling are about nuBSG but that looks to be like a colossal waste of time and money. Count me out!

#2 neoworx

neoworx

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jun 13 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To me this idea sounds like a guaranteed failure. So you have a successful tv show and 20 some years later you decide to reboot it and completely change everything. This show too is very successful. Then you decide to go back and simply recast the old series and make a movie? Seriously? I dont care what your feeling are about nuBSG but that looks to be like a colossal waste of time and money. Count me out!

Agreed! This sounds...strange. And pointless.

#3 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:41 AM

Being a fan of the Original Battlestar Galactica, i really would like to see what a new movie based on it would look like. Even though i watched the new series all the way through, i never liked it, just stuck with it because of nostalgias sake. The new series made all the characters into deviants and unlikable characters in my opinion, not like the more wholesome characters of the original series. I dont know if a new movie could recapture the feeling of the original, maybe if the original producer and some of the old cast return.

#4 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:49 AM

Before this thing would ever see the light of day it would change 20 times! LOL

#5 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

Personally I think the re-imagined BSG series was one of the best shows ever on TV. I tried to go back and watch the original but I just got bored of it. I'm not trying to upset fans of the original, but I just couldn't take it seriously I guess. The new BSG had very realistic, human characters with flaws and grey areas (much like DS9). If they are going to make a new movie based on the original to capitalize on the success of the re-imagined series then I doubt it will be very successful (but who knows).

#6 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:23 PM

Younger folks seem to have little interest in shows made back before the JJ Abrams generation of making tv and movies when you had to think for yourself and dialogue was more prevalent than action in most cases. The attention spans of the video game addicted generation of today is so easily lost that shows have to be laced with fast action, sex, nudity,profanity and gory scenes. Once upon a time, quality movies and TV could be made with none of these things present or a minimal or implied scene that never showed it. I dont know if a new movie based on the original BSG could recapture the magic of the old cast, but i would be interested in finding out. I watched Battlestar Galactica first run in '78 thru '80 and i loved it, it was very exciting and i looked forward to it each week. It was made when people for the most part had slower paced lives, before people developed ADHD and were not interested in thinking or looking at an image for more than a millisecond. Most movies and tv series today are so fast paced (images flash on and off the screen so fast) its hard to keep up with them, its meant to keep you interested, but it just frustrates me because i like to look at an image long enough to see what i am looking at and think about it.

#7 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Jun 14 2009, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Younger folks seem to have little interest in shows made back before the JJ Abrams generation of making tv and movies when you had to think for yourself and dialogue was more prevalent than action in most cases. The attention spans of the video game addicted generation of today is so easily lost that shows have to be laced with fast action, sex, nudity,profanity and gory scenes. Once upon a time, quality movies and TV could be made with none of these things present or a minimal or implied scene that never showed it. I dont know if a new movie based on the original BSG could recapture the magic of the old cast, but i would be interested in finding out. I watched Battlestar Galactica first run in '78 thru '80 and i loved it, it was very exciting and i looked forward to it each week. It was made when people for the most part had slower paced lives, before people developed ADHD and were not interested in thinking or looking at an image for more than a millisecond. Most movies and tv series today are so fast paced (images flash on and off the screen so fast) its hard to keep up with them, its meant to keep you interested, but it just frustrates me because i like to look at an image long enough to see what i am looking at and think about it.

You know, I agree with you 100%. I haven't watched very many new shows or movies for the past 7 or 8 years. I enjoyed JJ's movie but one of my first reactions was that it was far too fast-paced and full of hollywood flash & glam (much like the Star Wars prequels were). I enjoy a lot of old, classic movies (especially spaghetti westerns, war films and sci-fi) and of course TOS. I have grown an appreciation for slower-paced movies such as 2001: A Space Odyssey, Once Upon A Time In The West and Apocalypse Now. I would like to think that I live a fairly slow-paced life myself. I've never been interested in reality tv shows or anything like that. But I must say that the re-imagined BSG was, despite being filled with a bit too much sex, a great show with good drama, acting, and yes, special effects. It was gritty and filled with tension and suspense but still had moments that let you think and reflect on what was happening. Perhaps I should watch some more of the original series before I say much more about it.

#8 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

Good! And bring back Dirk Benedict!! smile.gif smile.gif

IN OTHER REMAKE NEWS:

LIAM NEESON LIKES IT WHEN PLANS FOR THE A-TEAM COME TOGETHER

The casting of next summer's The A-Team is well underway with the stars of two of this year's surprise hits in talks with 20th Century Fox: Liam Neeson (Taken) as "Hannibal" Smith and Bradley Cooper (The Hangover) as "Face" Peck. Yet to be cast are "Howling Mad" Murdock and B.A. Baracus. The film's director, Joe Carnahan (Narc, Smokin' Aces) teamed up with video game voice actor Brian Bloom to "polish" the script by Skip Woods (Swordfish; cowriter of X-Men Origins: Wolverine), which was of course based upon the popular 1980s TV show about four escapees from a military prison who become a band of altruistic mercenaries. The studio hype about this movie version of The A-Team is that it is not going to be "campy" like the show, but is aiming more for a feel like the Mission: Impossible and Ocean's Eleven movies, which seems to overlook the fact that the Ocean's Eleven movies were, you know, sort of campy. The A-Team starts filming in August, and has a June 11th, 2010 release date.

http://www.rottentom..._takes_on_conan

#9 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:40 PM

I think the new BSG movie should bring back the original Galactica ship, commanded by Commander Apollo,(Richard Hatch) and his second in command Col Starbuck(Dirk Benedict). Col Tigh (Terry Carter) is now a member of the Quorum of the twelve. Boomer (Herb Jefferson) , Boxey, Jolly,Athena, Cassiopea other surviving cast could return along with new cast members playing children of these crew members. I would just love to hear Patrick Macnee voicing Imperious leader again, wow that would be neat. I am getting so excited i may have pull out my Battlestar Galactica Cylon head box set of the complete original Battlestar Galactica series and rewatch it now.

#10 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:57 PM

It would be an odd move for the BSG franchise, but it would bring hope to other non-jj Trek films/projects for the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users