• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:58 PM

Surprised there isn't a topic on this yet, anyone else seen it?

I thought it was phenomenal, the look and feel of the universe was spot on, and worked perfectly with ANH.

Can't wait to see it again Monday.

On to more spoilery things.
Spoiler

#2 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:19 PM

If Discovery can do for Star Trek what Rogue One has done to enhance and add to Star Wars then perfect!

Great movie.

#3 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:40 PM

I saw it last night. I loved it. The tie ins to the original Star Wars along with the fresh take on how they told this story was great. All of the actors did great jobs.

#4 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:02 PM

I liked it much more than TFA.

They didn't play it safe, and told a new, different kind of story while TFA just played it safe and rehashed ANH.

I really hope 8 does something new and different, and while skeptical, hope the Han Solo movie is good.

#5 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:17 PM

Already seen it twice, liking it better than TFA. Such a different film in all respects.

Spoiler

#6 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:27 PM

I liked it much more than TFA.
They didn't play it safe, and told a new, different kind of story while TFA just played it safe and rehashed ANH.
I really hope 8 does something new and different, and while skeptical, hope the Han Solo movie is good.

I can't say I liked it better but I liked it just as well. I don't get the nit picks for TFA but to each their own. I personally loved TFA. I thought that Rogue One was a great addition to an ever exapanding universe. They really showed a different tone a side to Star Wars.

#7 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:26 AM

i loved the movie 1 thing tho SPOILER sorry i don't know how to do the spoiler thing.

no bothans. Many Bothans Will Not Be Dying in Rogue. 

#8 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

Not really a spoiler.

Bothans didn't die stealing the first Death Star plans, they stole the second.

#9 WORF22

WORF22

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:48 PM

Not really a spoiler.

Bothans didn't die stealing the first Death Star plans, they stole the second.

49918399_zpstoi1ifl4.jpg

#10 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:26 PM

I thought it was fantastic!  It really adds to the universe.  TFA was just too similar to ANH, however, I'm hoping it was with a purpose and sets up the next 2 episodes well.  TFA was just so similar to ANH.... starts on a desert planet, a budding jedi, a bar full of people, sith lord kills one person on a death star/planet, which explodes with the help of a budding jedi and crew and xwing fighters in a trench run with is destroyed by the best pilot available.   Rogue One was a little slow with setup, but it all had a point and wasn't just filler.  Loved tarkin, lea and vader.   maybe they can do something like rogue one to fill in what happened between ep 6 and 7

#11 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:52 PM

I'd love to see a movie about the Battle of Jakku, it was supposed to be a pretty major conflict.

#12 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:24 PM

Agreed on most of your points, guys!

I know a lot of people place the original trilogy in a "special" category that makes them hard to objectively compare to regular films. I'm not one of those people. I do that for Star Trek, sure - but not Star Wars. They're just decent sci-fantasy adventure films to me.

And Rogue One is better than them.

I had great fun barrelling right across the border of my friend's "original trilogy reservation" to objectively declare that fact for him.

I've never, ever, *ever* enjoyed a Star Wars film so thoroughly. It was shockingly good.

It's probably the best film I've seen this year, and I am a Star Trek fan who quite liked Beyond (despite myself).

Here are some of my initial thoughts pasted from a conversation I had with another friend about it. Apologies for the sweariness, but I'm Irish and I was excited, and I still am so I won't edit them out :D

Spoiler

#13 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:57 PM

Vader gave me chills for the first time since I saw ANH as a boy.

Just pure badass IMO. I was literally saying... "Get out of there... for god sakes... he's behind you! You have no chance!"

#14 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

I agree, Rogue One was what every single movie that tried to call itself Star Wars since 1983 should have been.  Including TFA.  Who cares that there are no Skywalkers, or Jedi fights?  In the OT, the Force was mysterious and for all we knew, somewhat limited in its scope and power.  What Chirrut Imwe does with his Force-faith isn't much less than what Luke does in ANH.  In fact it may actually be more.

Speaking of this, I just had to ask myself...  For one thing, why can't Jedi fly around, if they can make rocks float?  And even if there's a limit to their floatiness, surely the powerful Vader can manage to float himself around instead of needing those prosthetic limbs or a wheelchair?  I mean, Luke could lift a big rock while standing on his head and he was a n00b.

#15 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

I was just happy to see a prequel that actually enhanced the original trilogy instead of undermining it.

#16 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

I agree, Rogue One was what every single movie that tried to call itself Star Wars since 1983 should have been.  Including TFA.  Who cares that there are no Skywalkers, or Jedi fights?  In the OT, the Force was mysterious and for all we knew, somewhat limited in its scope and power.  What Chirrut Imwe does with his Force-faith isn't much less than what Luke does in ANH.  In fact it may actually be more.

I was really, really nervous that Jyn would end up being force sensitive when they showed her with the kaiburr crystal in the beginning, and was very relieved when she wasn't.

#17 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:51 AM

And now we'll never know if she was or wasn't. LOL!

#18 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:43 AM

It really is seamless into ANH. I watched just the intro of ANH again... and the basically the scrolling intro of ANH is exactly the plot of of Rogue One. 

It was smart to limit and hold back the use of Jedi special effects... because there really weren't allot in ANH either and I think its more seamless. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users