The Dark Knight

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:53 PM

The first photo of Heath Ledger as the Joker can be seen HERE at SuperHeroHype.com or at the official site IBelieveInHarveyDentToo.com. He looks very menacing and evil. I think I am going to enjoy the new Joker. The scars make for a more believable injury, but somehow that Joker smile seems missing.

#2 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:04 AM

I think I will hold judgment untill we seee a full pictue of him as the Joker. That close up doesn't really scream "Joker" to me. I guess I need to see the green hair too.

#3 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:35 AM

I like the direction they are taking so far. I like the realism of the new movies and a super-psycho, realistic Joker is gonna be cool I think. I just hope that they bring out a little of his mischievousness mixed into the psychopathic fiendishness.

#4 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

To me it looks like the Joker is a drunk. I dont mind realistic but that picture to me doesnt capture the Joker's essence. Never in how many years of comic books has the joker ever been portrayed as simply a psycho serial killer. His character has always been intelligent that has only one character flaw....his love of laughter. That pic just doesnt do it for me. I was really looking forward to this next movie but now im not too sure.

#5 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:35 AM

IMO movies are supposed to be an escape from the real world. Seems like the more movies try to be real, the less i like them. I disliked Star Trek Nemesis because they tried to make it into more contemporary movie with car (dunebuggy) chases and got away from what Star Trek has always been about. Batman begins may have been the most realistic Batman movie made yet, but it was the least likeable to me. I would sooner buy the 60's Batman series or "Batman and Robin" before i would buy Batman Begins on DVD. I think this is why the "Star Wars" movies have always been so popular, they are not trying to be realistic , and allow the fantastic to play a part in the movies that people like. Perhaps ive not explained this plainly enough for some folks here, but fantasy/Science Fiction should have characters that are larger than life. I thought the Joker in the 1989 Batman was great, but i doubt the Heath Ledger Joker will be anything like it.

#6 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:15 PM

I agrre that the characters should not be too realistic because it is an escape of sorts. I like good storytelling. I find that in many cases when restricted by "reality" that storytelling in a comic style movie can be severely hindered.

#7 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:11 AM

Shows like Enterprise and the new BSG try to make a great Sci Fi show into a more contemporary feeling show. I like to feel that ive escaped into a different world for an adventure, not into a higher tech version of the same screwed up world we are in now. I think shows that can separate you from reality like TOS and the original BSG did a far better job of entertaining than the new twists on those shows have done. The 1989 Batman movie did a good job of taking you into the nightmarish world of Batman where Good fought evil. The newer Batman shows blur the line so much you cant tell the difference between the good and bad. This is the problem i have with the new BSG, the characters are all repulsive. You dont have good and evil, it seems to be evil and more evil. Clear cut good and evil characters are hard to find in movies these days it seems. Star Wars is a good example of good and evil characters and its the most successful franchise in movie history finance wise, so that should make a statement for what people like. You see how successful the Star Wars figure line has been compared to the Star Trek figure lines. Perhaps if the producers of newer Star Trek shows and BSG made their shows to appeal to a wider demographic then their franchises would be bigger and toylines could actually be found in a brick and mortar store instead of only online retailers and a few scattered specialty shops.

#8 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:15 AM

The new trailer, showing with I am Legend, has been leaked onto the net and ... freaking WOW! It looks kick butt! Heath Ledger ... perfect!

#9 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:05 PM

Link please biggrin.gif

#10 Samwise Gamgee

Samwise Gamgee

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:53 PM

http://www.movieweb....ws/34/25134.php Should be good. smile.gif

#11 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:00 PM

I usually get excited when I see trailers for new comic films but that one did nothing for me. I think Ledger will do a pretty good Joker but I am skeptical about the script and story. In addition to that I wonder how the writers strike is going to affect this film. Im hoping that the majority of the stuff was finished before the strike started but i cant remember. I didnt see the Batman Begins in theatres but loved it on dvd. Im not sure if Im going to plop down the $12 to see this one....

#12 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:43 AM

I think that we are all movie haters around here!! I did not see the new Batman in the theaters and got around to it on DVD. To be honest I fell asleep during it. For some reason though I think that I will go see this one. I guess that I'm just backwards!

#13 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:42 AM

I know its off topic but the movie experience just isnt good anymore. The price is too high, finding the time is sometimes difficult, the audience is hit or miss but worst of all is the video quality is usually horrid if they are still using film. For the prices they charge the industry needs to start moving away from film projectors more quickly. People who are accustomed to HD quality are very intolerant of anything less (I know I am!). I still cant get over why I still see white and black bubbles throughout a film. I thought we would be way past seeing stuff like that in 2007. But the industry cries poor while paying the actors tens of millions of dollars....same old story as usual.

On topic....What I found interesting about the trailer was that it had a lot of car scenes but very little of Batman by himself. One of the traditional poses of Batman is Batman on the rooftops or Batman jumping down from somewhere with his cape. Apparently Batman has gotten tired of walking like the rest of us and is just going to drive everywhere now!|

#14 thecapn

thecapn

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:33 AM

I still cant get over why I still see white and black bubbles throughout a film.

There's actually a reason for that. The theater I usually go to has an all-digital setup, but they still have these too. The reality is that it's not a problem in the film. It's A CODE. Yup. The movie companies put unique codes (I assume computer generated) in the film that appears as noise to the audience. But if a bootleg shows up on the streets, either shot with a camera or an actual copy, the studio can find out what theater (or at least which theater company, AMC, Magic, etc) was in charge of that copy. It allows them to trace where the breakdown occurred.

The price of movies is a pain, but I look at it this way. Yes, they used to be cheaper. But at the theater I go to now, which was just built a few years back, the screens are HUGE, especially for new releases. There's comfortable, high-backed reclining chairs. There's big cupholders right in the armrests. And you know what? It's clean. I can walk through the theater, and not once have I heard that sickly sticky sound as I walk. Plus, they have about 10 automated ticket counters, so there's rarely a line, and if I'm worried about getting a ticket I can always buy one at movietickets.com and pick it up right there at the automated stations. To me, that's worth it.

As far as the audience, I think it depends on when you go. Generally if you go opening weekend nights you get a pretty good crowd who's interested in what's going on on the screen. After all, they did make the extra effort to get there early. So most of those people really want to see what's going on. Midday, and future weeks aren't as good. That's when parents bring their irritating little howler monkeys (heard that in a blog once, and it stuck) with them.

I'm looking forward to this. I've always loved the dark, disturbed Batman of the Keaton movies and now Nolan's. I'll be there opening night for sure smile.gif.

#15 Sgt. Stinky

Sgt. Stinky

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Friends and especially Family

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:26 AM

I can't wait to see this after watching the trailer. I loved Batman Begins. I still enjoy seeing a movie first in theaters. I just don't enjoy wacthing a movie for the first time at home on DVD. It's harder to get into for me. Too many distractions with family, pets, phone, etc.. I can tune out the distractions in a theater.

#16 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:56 AM

I went and saw the Imax showing of I am Legend this weekend and they had the first ten minutes of TDK playing as a trailer. WOW... It is incredible. I cant wait to see this movie.

#17 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:29 AM

The official trailer here Comingsoon.net

#18 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:45 PM

I'm not sure what trailer I saw recently, but I'm definitely looking forward to this movie. I really enjoyed the first one and as Frank Miller said, they might as well have called it Batman: Year 1 biggrin.gif Something folks need to remember is Batman is meant to be dark material, even Batman The Animated Series was a true to the source(For the most part tongue.gif). BTW, Mark, you're narcolepticm, so it's no wonder you fell asleep during the movie. Give it another try at home and see if you can watch it in installments laugh.gif Since it's a pretty great movie and doesn't take away from Burton's Batman movies. I'm kind of hoping that the new Hulk movie is kind of like that. While the Ang Lee mess wasn't my favorite Marvel film, it did have some good parts in it.

#19 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:07 AM

I did watch it last weekend and I liked it for the most part. I think it was / is Liam Neeson that makes me not like it as much as I could. I don't know why I just don't care for him. He would however, not make me not go see a movie he was in just because he was in it.

#20 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:53 PM

Yeah, Liam is hit or miss with me. I liked him in Rob Roy and The Phantom Menace, but he's getting to be like Malcolm McDowell, David Warner or Terrance Stamp in the old, reliable actors. I did think he was a nice suprise in Batman Begins though, as I was wondering how they were going to do the Ras Al Ghul character. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it Mark wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users