Photo

Does this make Enterprise the only canon show?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

I wrote a new short blog throwing some ideas about here.... http://www.trektoy.c...t...og&blogid=5
Obviously Im being flippant with the title! tongue.gif

#2 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:18 AM

It's a divergent timeline. I guess, in a way, they are both canon. However, I doubt we'll be revisiting the original timeline again anytime soon. I imagine, in this new timeline, the future will be drastically different. I'm actually curious as to what the new 24th century and beyond would look like. Maybe we'll get a new TV series set sometime farther in the future of this new timeline at some point. I'd love that.

#3 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:55 AM

Since Enterprise takes place before this change. It has not changed. It will be the only one unaffected in the time line. I've been saying this same thing as you! "At least Enterprise is the same" Archer, T'Pol and Trip are still flying around same as before, no wait, Trip is still dead"

#4 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

Unless you read the EU Trek!
Thats why I am hoping that they throw in some reference to Archer or T'Pol in either this movie or a future one. It would be one little thing that would bridge all the stuff together. If O/K say they are such huge Trek fans then as writers they should throw an easter egg in like that!

#5 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

This film is set in an alternate timeline which branches off of the primary timeline in the year 2233, where Nero and Spock end up dumped, after they are enveloped by a singularity (read the Star Trek: Countdown Book). The Primary Timeline (and all of the other time-lines) that we have seen during the course of Trek continue on their own, because "all that can occur does occur" according to Quantum Mechanics, which the writers have repeatedly said that was the loop hole to chart a new course, without invalidating what came before. They have also said that not everything is diffrent in this new timeline. Many things will still be the same and happen very much like we remember them. The new timeline is ment to parallel the older one that we all love, allowing Abrams and his writers to parallel the course of TOS, without having to slavishly follow it down to the last detail.

#6 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:12 PM

Technically, no. Granted, the timeline changes happen post-ENT, but if Abrams did anything that took place in that era he would drastically change that to his style too.

#7 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

Well I havent seen the movie yet so I dont know if anything radically different will occur that will change the course of Trek. I can totally see this just fitting into the overall continuity. However I actually hope that it does change it completely! How many time travel episodes have you seen in your life where someone goes back into the past and at the end of the show they return to the very same future either stopping the bad guy trying to change the past/fixing whatever was wrong in the past. Id like to see a skaeup and heaven knows that one can always o back in into the past to change it back anyway.

#8 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:26 AM

From what I've heard, things do change completely and drastically. It is not just a slightly altered timeline, it wil be very far from what we know. There will be minor similarities, but the important events will have been irrevocably changed. There is no way the 24th century will be anything like we saw in TNG/DS9/Voyager in this alternate history, at least not in the Alpha Quadrant. I'm sure some things from outside the sphere of the Federation's influence will be unaffected, like the Borg and the Dominion, maybe even V'Ger.

#9 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:03 AM

You know one of the ways I (as a TOS purist) am able to enjoy Enterprise, with all of it's design and continuity inconsistencies? I see it as an alternate timeline as well that does not lead into TOS. I believe it is the timeline that was created after Picard and crew came back in time in First Contact.

That's how I sleep at night...

Sallah

#10 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:56 AM

That is quite possible.

#11 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (sallah @ Apr 27 2009, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know one of the ways I (as a TOS purist) am able to enjoy Enterprise, with all of it's design and continuity inconsistencies? I see it as an alternate timeline as well that does not lead into TOS. I believe it is the timeline that was created after Picard and crew came back in time in First Contact.

That's how I sleep at night...

Sallah

I never saw any inconsistencies with "ENTERPRISE" that couldn't be explained with a little imagination, that would rule it out as part of the what we now probably should refer to as 'Time Line A.

#12 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

I suppose not, technically. It's aesthetic lineage relates more to the TOS movies and 24th century, though. It just makes TOS's appearance stand out as being odd, since it is so drastically different from what comes before and what comes after it. Although that doesn't necessarily mean the difference in Enterprise was the result of an altered timeline. Maybe the TOS period was just a particularly unusual time in the history of design and taste.

#13 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Apr 27 2009, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suppose not, technically. It's aesthetic lineage relates more to the TOS movies and 24th century, though. It just makes TOS's appearance stand out as being odd, since it is so drastically different from what comes before and what comes after it. Although that doesn't necessarily mean the difference in Enterprise was the result of an altered timeline. Maybe the TOS period was just a particularly unusual time in the history of design and taste.

That's how I always thought of it. The mid 23rd Century design ethic focused on simple (and therefore faster to manage) control input systems, and a more utilitarian ships aesthetic layout to promote better crew interaction. Explanation works for me. spock2.gif

#14 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

Kinda like the 1980s in terms of car design as opposed to the stylistic 1960s!

#15 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Apr 28 2009, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kinda like the 1980s in terms of car design as opposed to the stylistic 1960s!

Yeah its the same idea. Although I prefer the cars of the 1920's and 1930's. spock2.gif

#16 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Apr 26 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you read the EU Trek!
Thats why I am hoping that they throw in some reference to Archer or T'Pol in either this movie or a future one. It would be one little thing that would bridge all the stuff together. If O/K say they are such huge Trek fans then as writers they should throw an easter egg in like that!

Hey all,

Just got in from watching the film and I can confirm Archer was mentioned.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#17 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:44 PM

No he wasn't....I saw it last night and unless I missed it, he wasn't mentioned in the film

#18 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (BadBunnyMike @ May 7 2009, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No he wasn't....I saw it last night and unless I missed it, he wasn't mentioned in the film

I just saw the movie and yes, Archer was mentioned by Scotty, who apparently had used Archers beagle in a transporter experiment that didnt go the way he had planned and so thats why Scotty got assigned to the delta vaga planet station.

#19 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ May 7 2009, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just saw the movie and yes, Archer was mentioned by Scotty, who apparently had used Archers beagle in a transporter experiment that didnt go the way he had planned and so thats why Scotty got assigned to the delta vaga planet station.

I missed that I'll have to watch it a few more times I guess to pick up all the references.

#20 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:04 PM

Just saw the movie and loved it. There is some stuff nagging me, though, about the Kelvin era.

I don't feel the Kelvin era actually fit into existing canon. So, since Spock and Nero are transported by a black hole, could it be possible they were just deposited in completely different and parallel universe altogether? I think that makes more sense. So I don't think they actually changed history. The events we saw were always meant to happen that way in the new universe we are now following. Too bad no one bothered to check Ambassador Spock's quantum signature and compare it to Commander Spock's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users