#1 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:27 PM

smile.gif

Galoob Trek toys...

I first saw one at a Trek convention in 1995. They were Tasha & Geordi.

I did not have enough money to buy them & the Bidge Playset which was $135....so I went with the Bridge.
Plus I thought they were kinda ugly.

Many years later I found a new appreciation for them...same as many Playmates lines like 9" & Innerspace. I get very nostalgic when there is no Trek on the market biggrin.gif

I really do like the Galoob line now. They were great figures for the time.

On the old forum someone was showing us a pic of the Bridge Playset never released for the Galoob line....*sigh* Anyone got that pic still?

Just one more series plus that playset would have made the Galoob line something amazing.

Below shows my Galoob figures with the custom Crusher. I will try & hunt down a Wesley one day seeing as how it was his only figure ever in that outfit. Series 2 would have seen the only official season 1 versions of Deanna & Beverly as well.

Anyway...those who were actually Trekkers during Galoob's run...what were your thoughts on the line? & what were your thoughts about the series ending with it's first set?

happy.gif

#2 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:29 AM

Am I right in seeing a Blue Face Data in that mix?? smile.gif

Who in the world is wearing that red wig?? Is that another Data??

#3 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:25 PM

you dont recall that thread? He bought a one shot off ebay, that appeared to be a Tasha repainted. Although the verdict is still out on whether it was a deliverate custom, or a mock up. Arti will have to elaborate futher. Dont you read the memos?

#4 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:04 PM

I loved the Galoob line when it came out. Of course, I thought they could use more articulation, but other than that, I loved them. I had several things on preorder, in fact I had every planned product on preorder at them time the line was cancelled.

I had the cardboard/plastic diorama/playsets, the die-cast Ferengi Marauder, and the "flying" Enterprise glider. I'm not sure if the wave 3 figures or the big bridge playset was available for preorder at the time, but if they were I probably had ordered them. I was heart broken at the time when several checks were returned to me with letters saying that Galoob had cannelled their Star Trek line.

I had a couple of cases of the wave 1 figures (still do have all those figures unopened), four of the hand phaser toys, four of the die-cast Enterprise, and two each of the Galileo shuttlecraft and the Ferengi fighter. I was only able to get one set of the wave 2 alien figures, though. I could have sworn I had three or four sets on preorder, but I only ever received one set. They were pretty limited as soon as they came out. I never even saw them in stores even though the pegs were clogged with Riker, Picard, Geordi, and Worf for months and months after the first wave hit. And poor Riker. They overproduced him for whatever reasons. He was literally everywhere. There was so much overstock, a couple of retailers at the time offered free custom "bearded" Rikers with every purchase of the remaining wave 1 figures.

I really wish the line would have continued a little longer. They didn't even give it a chance. They didn't market it well (only ever saw one badly produced TV commercial one time and no magazine ads at all) and didn't even give it time to gain momentum. They cancelled the line shortly after wave 2 began production producing only a small amount of figures and no other planned toys from the wave. What's worse was they cancelled the line literally months before TNG started gaining popularity. If they had stuck with the line for just a while longer, I think they would have been quite successful. They would have gotten the success Playmates had early on with their Trek line. Oh well, at least Galoob made a ton of of Star Trek Micro Machines. They were abel to get that license at least after foolishly dropping the original license so hastily.

#5 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

When the Galoob figures first released, i drove to many, many stores looking for the figures and finally found them at Kmart. I eventually found several sets of the wave 2 aliens, which i sold years ago. I had a couple of sets of the Shuttlecraft and ferengi ship, which only appeared at Lionels Toy warehouse in the area i was living in. I never found any aliens or the ships at any of the other dozens of toy stores and departments stores in the Charlotte,NC area. I think they were neat figures for the time. The first i ever saw about them was on the free poster offer contained on Cheerios cereal boxes. I still have one of these posters in the original mailing tube from 1987. The only Galoob TNG items i have now are the TNG crew MIP.

#6 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Aug 25 2006, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will try & hunt down a Wesley one day seeing as how it was his only figure ever in that outfit.

They've got one on e-Bay for $1000 buy-it-now/make offer ... GO FOR IT ARTISTIX! laugh.gif

#7 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:34 AM

Dont tease Arti like that. You know he is going to read it, find out there was a Romulan and JUST have to have IT. Just play nice, is all I ask of you, I mean really...
Just dont tell him about This One!! The guy gets bugged all the time, let him be. tongue.gif

#8 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:46 AM

I'm not sure if the Data I have is the blue faced Data. I do recall trying to buy the non speckled one.

The Beverly custom was made from a Tasha Yar figure. It was said that the figure was used by Galoob for promotional purposes along with a Deanna Troi. No-one has ever been able to confirm this. I would like to have someone re-paint the figures face at some point to make it more Crusheresque.
The guy could not find his old pics of the Troi which he sold years ago.

So if the sets were on pre-order...did they not give out tentative line-ups? Or wasn't that really a practise in 1987?

Interesting to hear about the bearded Riker figures. Anyone pick one up?

If I had $1000 spare...I would buy that Wesley in a second! biggrin.gif

Does anyone have a loose pic of their full crew including young Crusher?

By the way...if anyone does have a spare Wes that I could pay off over a while...I would take him off your hands. If you want a couple of thousand bucks...thats fine...but it would take me a while to fully pay him off.

#9 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:17 AM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Aug 27 2006, 02:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So if the sets were on pre-order...did they not give out tentative line-ups? Or wasn't that really a practise in 1987?

The third wave of figures (which, I assume, was to have Wesley and the Romulan) was not put up for preorder anywhere that I can recall. There were announcements made about the Wesley and Romulan figures, but the line was cancelled before preoders were taken AFAIK. The second wave of the four alien figures was the last set of figures put up for preorder and I was only able to get one set of those fulfilled before they cancelled production. Other tentative releases included the die-cast Ferengi Marauder, the bridge playset, the cardboard diroama playsets with cardboard and plastic set pieces, and the "flying" Enterprise (similar to the Enterprise glider Playmates released years later, but made of cardbaord I believe). That was as far as the advance announcements and preorders got before the line was dropped.

#10 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE(Tiberius @ Aug 27 2006, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont tease Arti like that. You know he is going to read it, find out there was a Romulan and JUST have to have IT. Just play nice, is all I ask of you, I mean really...
Just dont tell him about This One!! The guy gets bugged all the time, let him be. tongue.gif

Heck better not tell me! I was in here asking the wife if $3000.00 was then the Credit Card could stand at the moment. LOL

Bad news is that it's way more then it can stand. sad.gif

#11 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:27 PM

I dont know how this thing is listed, it does not seem to have a termination date, nor a start date. But if it has been there long enough, it might get taken off, or modified eventually. Keep it on your watchlist if it doesnt sell, that way if the seller decides to relist, you get the notification, on the off chance he lowers the price.
I cant recall if this is the person I bought my test shots from, but shipping is not huge from Hong Kong.

#12 DrHoward

DrHoward

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:38 PM

Man, these old Galoob figures bring back memories!

I was 16 when these came out. The first TNG episode I saw was "Conspiracy" and I quickly decided Beverly Crusher and Will Riker were my favorites. Then, a friend told me there were figures. At first I was just going to get Riker, thinking surely they'd make Beverly. I got Yar because by that point everybody knew she was dead and I figured it wouold be an investment so I bought 2. The same friend received a flyer from a mail order sci-fi dealer promoting the Galoob line, including the figures of Beverly, Wesley, and Troi, plus the playsets. So I decided if I'm going to have that many, I might as well get the whole crew! I ended up getting Picard, Data, Laforge, Worf, and the die-cast Enterprise, all in anticipation of the other figures and having the bridge playset to display them on. Please don't stone me when I say I destinctly remember seeing at least one complete set of the aliens on the peg! But I wasn't interested in them; I just wanted the crew!

My friend and I had both pre-ordered from the dealer, so you can imagine our sadness when we received refund checks along with a letter telling of Galoob's abrupt cancellation of the TNG line! To me, they never even gave it a chance! Artistix's pic is the first time I ever saw the Galoob Beverly.

Five years later, after Playmates started their line, there was an ad in the old "Toy Shop" magazine. Some guy was selling Galoob Wesley figures on Picard cards. He also claimed to have 1st season Troi available. There were pics of Wesley, but none of Troi, so I'm not sure if any exist. There have been so many claims of her, but no pics.

Anyway, I hadn't looked at these figures in a long time and after seeing this thread I dug them out. They weren't bad figures for the time. It's funny; these Galoob figures fit how TNG was in it's first season, Playmates match Trek during the 1990's, and the AA/DST stuff are an improvement over both.

Anyway, a lot of memories there...

#13 Kassle

Kassle

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:18 AM

I definitely have a place in my heart for the Galoob figures. For display's sake, I wish the line had lasted another year. Would've been great to have Troi, Crusher, Wesley & the Romulan, among others.

*sigh*

#14 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:50 AM

I loved these when they came out. I remember seeing prototype pictures in a Star Trek: The Next Generation magazine at the time. The figures looked awesome and to be honest the prototype pictures still look awesome. They are painted very reminiscent of how AA does their figures now -dull pants and paints with the glossy finish shoes.
Whe I got the actual figures I wa a little disapointed since they weren't as close to the prototypes but they grew on me and I was excitied to have, what I thought was going to be, a new line of Star Trek to collect.
I quickly went about making hallways and so on. After Yar died (and since I was a kid I had no money) I customized my Yar into Crusher. In season 2 my Riker figure got a beard and Geordi got a mustard tunic as did Worf. When the uniforms changed in season 3 I customzied the figures into the new uniforms.
I really enjoyed these and was pretty disapointed that Galoob canned them so soon. I think sometimes companies expect crazy sales right off the bat and they don't realize that you have to give a line a good year or two to see how it does.
Obviously Trek was an untapped resource since Playmates cleaned house with their line until they commited suicide with it.

#15 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(DrHoward @ Sep 8 2006, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was 16 when these came out. The first TNG episode I saw was "Conspiracy" and I quickly decided Beverly Crusher and Will Riker were my favorites. Then, a friend told me there were figures. At first I was just going to get Riker, thinking surely they'd make Beverly.

Artistix's pic is the first time I ever saw the Galoob Beverly.

That Beverly is not an official product. It is Tasha Yar in a wig.

Good to hear more Beverly fans are onboard biggrin.gif

Though I'd imagine the fact she was brought back to the show would suggest the fans saw her as somewhat endearing.

#16 DrHoward

DrHoward

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Sep 8 2006, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That Beverly is not an official product. It is Tasha Yar in a wig.
Good to hear more Beverly fans are onboard biggrin.gif

Though I'd imagine the fact she was brought back to the show would suggest the fans saw her as somewhat endearing.

I thought I read on the other board it was sold as a Galoob mock-up? Either way, good grab! I took a hint from one your other pics and customized a Playmates first season Beverly biggrin.gif I don't know why I'd never thought it before! blink.gif Thanks for the inspiration!

I remember back in the day, fans complained that Pulaski just didn't fit in with the crew and they missed the relationship between Beverly and Jean-Luc (courtesy of "The Naked Now"), so Lady Gates must have done something right!

#17 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE(DrHoward @ Sep 14 2006, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought I read on the other board it was sold as a Galoob mock-up? Either way, good grab!

It was sold to me as a mock-up....but no-one has ever seen the promotional material mentioned by the guy I bought it from....so there is no way to ever really know.

I would have been very interested to see the Troi he had!

QUOTE(DrHoward @ Sep 14 2006, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I took a hint from one your other pics and customized a Playmates first season Beverly biggrin.gif I don't know why I'd never thought it before! blink.gif Thanks for the inspiration!

Hehe. I've decided now I am going to make a custom dress uniform Crusher & Troi (even though the badge is wrong)..it can be a 'Generations' era dress uniform! biggrin.gif

I'm also going to make a 9" casual clothed Insurrection Beverly using Bev's shaved head & the brown Seven of Nine body.

That should do me wink.gif

#18 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:14 PM

Artistix,

You say you have hte bridge playset from galoob line?
That would be so cool to have that, I love the galoob figures.

#19 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:10 PM

No, I do not own the Galoob Bridge...Rick at NewForce may own one.

As far as I know there was only one or two made....it was never released.

#20 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:57 PM

yeah, I seen a picture of it on this one website before. It's too bad the didnt release it, it looked nice!
I'v seen Wesley on ebay a couple times..but very expensive. I don't remember, but I think I've seen the Romulan too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users