Photo

What does everyone think of the New Movie Roll Play stuff?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 Smitty

Smitty

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (JonWes @ Apr 15 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AH, yes! I really should have remembered that as I used to have the Playmates version of it.
As do I, still do actually!

But I really want to get the DST version a companion to my phaser and communicator.

-cs

#62 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (FHC @ Apr 18 2009, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah I know the Phaser is off. Can't speak for the others.

I've yet to see a role-play toy that wasn't off in one way or another, even DST's stuff is wrong when compared to the real thing. Although the new PM's aren't exact, it's a lot closer to the real thing than the old Playmates role-play were to their counterparts. I just wish the phaser were a liittle more solid feeling. The tricorder is solid, the phaser feels like a dollar store toy.

#63 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:ST props, models, and Lightsabers OH MY!

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

Well, I bought my ice cream bar, it's pretty solid and decently made. The ice cream bar holder, on the other hand, is a total waste of plastic.

The little raised tabs they have set up to act as a lid stop are kinda weak and I can see them wearing down with repeated use.

I took it apart and it will be VERY easy to replace that star cluster looking display with a moire pattern, and that's exactly what I plan on doing too. wink.gif

To be completely honest, I think the original communicator looks more advanced and sophisticated than this new version of the communicator. It's obvious to me that J.J. wanted to pattern it after the modern cell phone because this thing could easily be mistaken for one.

However, I like my little ice cream bar, and I'm glad I got it while they're plentiful. I will probably break down and get the ship sometime this week...after all, my DST Enterprises need something to shoot at! tongue.gif

-Kyp

#64 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:57 PM

Well, I'm sad to say after having my Tricorder for a few days my top hatch has started opening VERY slowly. Must be that weak spring someone mentioned. It's annoying because I've probably popped it open to play with the lights and sounds maybe a total of 10 times since I've had it as I was gone most of the weekend. I feel bad for the poor kids. It's much less neat when it SLOWLY opens. I don't know whether to take it back or try to open it up and see if there is a way to put in a proper spring.

#65 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:39 AM

Kids these days lose interest in stuff so fast i wonder if they will even care about it opening slowly. With electronics as advanced as they are, some kids wouldnt want anything less than a REAL Tricorder.

#66 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:12 AM

QUOTE (JonWes @ Apr 19 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know whether to take it back or try to open it up and see if there is a way to put in a proper spring.

I picked one up the other day (actually, I met up with VF and we swapped some figures and hit the local Target to see what they had!)

Right away (when I got home and opened it) I could see the chrome was going to be an issue, so I started to disassemble it. I saw the spring of which you speak JW, and while messing with it (dissembled!) it was easily bent and started performing as you describe!

The problem I currently face is that the spring is wound around the set pin and the lid it operates on to open...

You have to figure out how to remove the set pin to get that lid off so you can replace the spring...

I'm trying to remove it so I can try and re-paint the chrome parts in more of a brushed aluminum look... which I think will better and be more durable.

The good thing is that the chrome parts are completely separate bits and are just screwed on.... which I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised that they weren't glued.

#67 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Apr 20 2009, 06:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The good thing is that the chrome parts are completely separate bits and are just screwed on.... which I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised that they weren't glued.

I made note of this on the prop boards to see if someone wanted to make real metal replacement panels for the tric. No one seemed interested as of yet. It would help if we could see an image of the real tricorder to get a sense of the look, size, etc. and see how close the toy is to the real one. I'm sure if it is close enough, people will want replacements for the chrome panels.

#68 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

I ended up exchanging my Tricorder for a new one. My plan is to not leave it closed (and stretch out the spring) when I'm not fiddling with it. If that doesn't work and it messes up again then I'll try to replace the spring.

#69 Al Hartman

Al Hartman

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

That isn't the hand scanner the Enterprise crew used. That was square with a pop-up screen.

Mine looks like this:

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Apr 15 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you know, I really liked what ENT did with scanners... I don't think they called them Tric's but they still had some nifty displays...

I would have loved for them to take the basic ENT MACO hand scanner and maybe change it up a bit.

I mean if your changing the design I say really go for it like ENT did...

I picked up this Static Version of the ENT hand scanner, and the entire top is basically your LCARS type display... inputs are on the side!

#70 Al Hartman

Al Hartman

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:02 PM

Here's an image of the Playmates 1992 Phaser 2 from www.treksf.com

These were used as props in the Starship Exeter fan film.

#71 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (Al Hartman @ Apr 20 2009, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That isn't the hand scanner the Enterprise crew used. That was square with a pop-up screen.

Mine looks like this:

Yeah yours is the Crew Hand Scanner, but mine is M.A.C.O. hand scanner.

Mines just a static prop. but you can see one with the decal overlays here...

http://startrekpropc...r.com/props.php

#72 igrokbok

igrokbok

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

Picked up the new trek tek at Target yesterday. I'm rally diggin the phaser the most. Love the TOS feel it has in it's aesthetics. Love the business with switching the emitter and having it spin back. The sounds are not as cool as the TOS original FX but nice none the less and the power up knob is nice.

The tricorder is very cool with a definite TOS profile when the two doors are open. Also a nice range of different scanning effects. The trick on the doors are to always be sure and close the top door first. Its designed to have the side door rest against the tabs of the top door. If you close them the other way around, the top with ease open every time.

The communicator is my least favorite. It resembles an ice cream sandwich and, unlike the original TOS communicator, it's not user friendly to flip at all. The squared off design forces you to completely cover the flip top with your fingers when you hold it. Then you much manuever your fingers to the sides of the device to give it that snap. Also the sound FX here are new and not near as inspired as the original signature "chirp".

Oh well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

#73 Smitty

Smitty

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (Al Hartman @ Apr 20 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's an image of the Playmates 1992 Phaser 2 from www.treksf.com

These were used as props in the Starship Exeter fan film.
To me that is still a nice phaser even 15 years later nice companion to the AA/DST version.

-cs

#74 KirkPR1

KirkPR1

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:EVERYTHING STAR TREK

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:20 PM

I love them! But the phaser could had less chrome.

#75 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:33 PM

Finally found the comm. It is a nice piece, not worth $15-$20, but it is still as nice as the tricorder. The phaser has been the most disappointing for me so far. They all should have been in the $10-$12 price range, though.

#76 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:30 AM

After having the same spring failure as JonWes, I decided to return the Tricorder that I picked up.

I think I'm out for anything Playmates is making.

If the movie is a success I think we'll see some higher end prop replicas toys and collectibles come out and I think I'll just save my money and buy those.

#77 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:22 PM

I noticed that Entertainment Earth have a Utility Belt up for Pre-order...

http://www.entertain...?number=PL61887

For September 2009. The odd thing... It's $30! Of course it's a very early listing... I'm just having a hard time understanding how a belt with some holsters would cost this much... but what could it include that hasn't already been released?

#78 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

There are pics of the real props up here. Notice the pic of what I'm assuming to be a Kelvin-era phaser and communicator. If the line is a success, I'd like to see Playmates produce those as well for the role-play line. Well, given the quality of the Playmates role-play stuff so far, I'd rather DST produce them one day, but I'll take what I can get for the moment.

#79 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (knightone @ May 5 2009, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are pics of the real props up here. Notice the pic of what I'm assuming to be a Kelvin-era phaser and communicator. If the line is a success, I'd like to see Playmates produce those as well for the role-play line. Well, given the quality of the Playmates role-play stuff so far, I'd rather DST produce them one day, but I'll take what I can get for the moment.

Agreed! I'd love to see someone tackle the Kelvin-era props.

#80 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:12 PM

If MR goes under, I would like to see QMX get a chance to do licensed Trek props, including ones from the movie as well. But I would love to see some toy versions as well to play with.

Im sure I'm not the only one out there that has compared the Playmates role-play to the AA and DST role-play and found the Playmates lacking. So, maybe, Playmates can take the criticisms into account and use the Kelvin era props as a second chance to improve on the level of quality of their role-play products. A lot of retailers were charging $20 for the Playmates role-play, and the quality, detail, features really should have them priced at around half that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users