I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

Pass as well.

#3 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

Easy pass... lol

#4 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

If it had the right damage on the front of the saucer and the nacelles maybe. But this looks kind of gross haha.

#5 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:26 PM

If it was legit damaged, I'd be more interested. 

But the hideous translucent orange is just bad. 

#6 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:11 PM

Oh dear, that's horrific...

Show me a new WOK sculpt where half of the saucer is missing, showing the damage etc, then you've got my attention.

Just using orange translucent plastic instead of pearlescent translucent plastic... it's a pass.

Hopefully the reissue of the standard WoK Enterprise is made of nicer plastic than the last several attempts.

#7 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

Is this a joke?

#8 Nigel

Nigel

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

"Fresh from the grill: It's the BBQ-1701"

#9 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

What's insulting is that only real fans would know exactly where/when this happened to the Enterprise and that we'd also know that it is nowhere near accurate. The Johnny Lightning version got it right.

I would have much preferred just a reissue of the old battle damaged TWOK ship that AA put out over a decade ago. That saucer detail is stunning.

#10 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

Glad everyone is entertained! :D We thought it was pretty cool, and I think the idea that only an elite few know about the Enterprise's destruction, and those same few wouldn't buy it, is fairly myopic. Millions of people have seen Star Trek III, and with the scorching on the hull, it will very clearly be on fire.

As far as actual damage goes, tooling a new saucer for a limited edition is not cost-effective. The cost of a tool that size could only be amortized by a sizable run of figures, and I assume that if we had that much confidence in the sales of an Enterprise with chunks out of it, we would have done it as a regular release years ago.

This is just a fun piece, and it seems like people won't be TOO broken up if they miss out on it, which is good. Hopefully we have some in our web store after the show.

I'm sure some people will think this is our swan song, which is kind of funny timing, with the rumors going around, but we developed this a year ago, with the Defiant. And hopefully there will be some new pieces on the other side of the booth.

#11 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:14 PM

The Defiant you say ;-)

#12 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:15 PM

The green one.

#13 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

Ohhhhhh. With the talk of a second ship coming just after the Reliant, I thought DST had been working on THE Defiant from DS9.

#14 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:13 PM

I'll definitely say it's a good exclusive.

It shouldn't ruffle many feathers that this will only be available to SDCC goers.

#15 Nigel

Nigel

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:41 PM

I've spent enough thousands of dollars on AA/DST merchandise in my short time on this Earth to be entitled to make a few jokes for "entertainment" sake. Looking forward to buying the Reliant.

#16 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

As far as actual damage goes, tooling a new saucer for a limited edition is not cost-effective. The cost of a tool that size could only be amortized by a sizable run of figures, and I assume that if we had that much confidence in the sales of an Enterprise with chunks out of it, we would have done it as a regular release years ago.

C'mon Zach.  You tell fans that this "translucent rendering of the Enterprise is meant to replicate its fiery last flight down to the Genesis planet, after self-destructing in orbit."  You had to know you'd get what I think is very fair criticism when the product does not really reflect what the ship looked like after that spectacular saucer explosion.  Continuing with the gold plated line would have been good.  A 1701-B, D, or E to match the A maybe. 

#17 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

I may have considered a gold Enterprise.

That's actually a pretty good idea DJC, do a different gold Enterprise line very year.

And I mean fully gold, not with the weird non gold paint apps like last years A

#18 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:46 PM

Nigel, I wasn't talking about your posts, they were not the entertaining ones I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

C'mon Zach.  You tell fans that this "translucent rendering of the Enterprise is meant to replicate its fiery last flight down to the Genesis planet, after self-destructing in orbit."  You had to know you'd get what I think is very fair criticism when the product does not really reflect what the ship looked like after that spectacular saucer explosion. Continuing with the gold plated line would have been good.  A 1701-B, D, or E to match the A maybe. 

I said "meant to replicate," not "reproduce to the finest detail." If I meant that, it would literally be on fire. It's obviously more an homage than a literal interpretation. Think of it as the way the crew envisions the ship as it plummets to the surface of Genesis. Burning, but still intact, still their home, still the Enterprise. Kind of like a Force ghost! (Also that wrecked Enterprise is pretty ugly.)

And I always expect criticism here, fair or otherwise! I really am only here because some people seemed happy to hear from me after I came back to clarify the McFarlane news, and because my absence seemed to suggest that we had given up on Trek, but clearly it was a trap. :D

ST3%20SFS%2003_thumb%5B4%5D.jpg

The gold A was kind of a Plan B last year. I'm sure we'll do it again. But we've had this one in the works for a long time. I think it will do well!

#19 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:51 PM

Yessss!! I LOVE IT! I love all these really cool variants! Who can get me one!?

#20 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:11 PM

Nigel, I wasn't talking about your posts, they were not the entertaining ones I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

I said "meant to replicate," not "reproduce to the finest detail." If I meant that, it would literally be on fire. It's obviously more an homage than a literal interpretation. Think of it as the way the crew envisions the ship as it plummets to the surface of Genesis. Burning, but still intact, still their home, still the Enterprise. Kind of like a Force ghost! (Also that wrecked Enterprise is pretty ugly.)

And I always expect criticism here, fair or otherwise! I really am only here because some people seemed happy to hear from me after I came back to clarify the McFarlane news, and because my absence seemed to suggest that we had given up on Trek, but clearly it was a trap. :D

ST3%20SFS%2003_thumb%5B4%5D.jpg

The gold A was kind of a Plan B last year. I'm sure we'll do it again. But we've had this one in the works for a long time. I think it will do well!

Thanks for serving up some internet snark.  

I don't default to criticizing DST releases, or you for that matter but thought this one fell short in my opinion.  The Romulan Bird of Prey is amazing and exceeded what I thought could be done with that ship.  Same goes for almost all the releases in the last few years.  Sorry if I didn't give you the compliment sandwich.

I hope it does well so you guys keep on with new designs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users