49 replies to this topic

#1 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:40 AM

I don't even know where to begin.

I feel like DST/AA are manipulating marketing reports to favor the theory that TOS characters are of greater interest. I suspect it is more accurate to say that they are of more interest to them. Here's my evidence so far:

* The TNG Wave 5 took 18 months to release with little to no customer explanation (until a LOT of complaining)
* The DS9 Wave 1 (and 2) took much longer to release than promised.
* The TWOK line had almost no delays
* The TWOK line had more than half the crew available at once (Kirk, McCoy, Scott, Checkov, Sulu, Terell, Khan)
* In addition to the TWOK line, we ended up with at least 4 more Kirk/Spock two packs that had no problem getting out on or close to schedule

While I understand that they feel that the TOS crews sold better...I will gladly say that I purchased them in order to support a toy line that was producing other characters I had much more interest in...those being the 24th Century Characters. Perhaps if DS9 had been out prior to the TMP Two pack, I may not have purchased it at all. As it is...they are not on display and probably won't ever be. Oh well. I didn't really need those $30.

I also wish they would stop using the "new molds are expensive" excuse. Look at all the new molds/sculpts they created for TOS and TNG. They could have easily used the six new molds for AGT to give us the missing TNG and DS9 characters...or the Mirror sculpts to give us Rand and Chapel several years ago instead of as a Fan Thank You and I suspect Farewell.

I just wish they would let us know what's going on. For real...no BS and no vague double talk.

If they are not dropping the license, I'd much rather they reduce the number of items offered at a time...but then actually release what they schedule.

I wish they would communicate better with the fans and the collectors. Or was their customer service training canceled along with the Borg wave?

I do want to say that I love my collection and am grateful for what I DO have...but it is hard not be disappointed at the way the license has been handled for the past few years.

For those that read...thank you for listening. I felt like I needed to say this somewhere it might be heard.

#2 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:59 AM

Sometimes you just need to vent. wink.gif I try to stay positive, but I've since given up caring about DST. Sure I'll buy whatever does come out, but when new figures are announced, I really couldn't care less. Until they arrive at my door, I consider them non-existant. They may gauge pre-orders these days for what to produce, but what's the point when they can't even get a product out within a year of the release date? I've certainly gotten a lot more lax on my pre-ordering because of them.

#3 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (weyoun_9 @ Jun 12 2009, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I understand that they feel that the TOS crews sold better...I will gladly say that I purchased them in order to support a toy line that was producing other characters I had much more interest in...those being the 24th Century Characters.

Ditto.

I can't say I am surprised that they are going full-on TOS right now, thanks to the movie. I really think that's the explanation, when you get right down to the bottom line. Retailers probably assume that they have a heightened chance of selling (even if that may not be true, that is the assumption that makes the most sense to them right now). Now, I'm not all that sure personally that the Playmates new movie figures sold very well and if I'm right, it is surprising that TRU is ordering so much TOS.

I'm pretty annoyed. I started off the year thinking that 24th century was pretty much dead, but then they revealed a heap of surprises, and now they've all been canceled -- leaving me with my least favorite series to collect. But I still have to hold out hope that TRU can save the day; if they ever see sales potential for 24th century then we will be golden. If not, and TRU keeps on asking for more TOS, then I suspect the size of their influence will determine the future for everyone else.

#4 Sgt. Stinky

Sgt. Stinky

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Friends and especially Family

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

I hate to say this but I absolutely believe what they say about 24th Century Trek not selling and TOS does sell. I base on my own experience w/ 2 local comics shops in my area. Every time they have gotten something in related to TOS it has always sold out. They still have tons and tons of TNG and DS9 hanging on their pegs. I had a conversation with the manager at the largest of the 2 stores and his said they have never reordered any TNG or DS9, which I couldn't believe because they still had so much going back to TNG wave 2. He flat out said if it's Kirk and Spock it sells. Based on what I have seen locally, I don't believe DST is exaggerating when they say the 24th century sales are not there. Sadly I see it with my own eyes.

#5 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:23 PM

I just don't understand why TOS would sell better than the others. Where are all the people who grew up on TNG or DS9? Did they get their fill of toys with the old Playmates line? It's very odd to me that collectible toys like these, which sell to people in their mid-20's to the their 30's mostly would be most popular when TOS themed when theoretically the main group of buyers would, theoretically, be more nostalgic about TNG or DS9 or maybe even Voyager.

#6 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (JonWes @ Jun 12 2009, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just don't understand why TOS would sell better than the others. Where are all the people who grew up on TNG or DS9? Did they get their fill of toys with the old Playmates line? It's very odd to me that collectible toys like these, which sell to people in their mid-20's to the their 30's mostly would be most popular when TOS themed when theoretically the main group of buyers would, theoretically, be more nostalgic about TNG or DS9 or maybe even Voyager.
I actually read an interview with Chuck from DST ( I'll try to find it) where he said that TOS sells quite a bit better than 24th century and that the reason that they make so many variants of Kirk and Spock is that they sell time and time again .... He said its all about the money...and that the proceeds from selling all the TOS era stuff actually allows them to produce the 24th century items...I for one am a 24th century fan.... and I have to say as much as I agree that its sad that 24th century doesnt get its due....DST really knocked one out of thge park with the new Enterprise D..... The AGT Enterprise D is the FINEST ship that DST has produced to date !!! They have really uped their game ! Im glad we finally got it !!!

#7 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:50 PM

You're not kidding, the D rocks!

#8 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (Sgt. Stinky @ Jun 12 2009, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate to say this but I absolutely believe what they say about 24th Century Trek not selling and TOS does sell. I base on my own experience w/ 2 local comics shops in my area. Every time they have gotten something in related to TOS it has always sold out. They still have tons and tons of TNG and DS9 hanging on their pegs. I had a conversation with the manager at the largest of the 2 stores and his said they have never reordered any TNG or DS9, which I couldn't believe because they still had so much going back to TNG wave 2. He flat out said if it's Kirk and Spock it sells. Based on what I have seen locally, I don't believe DST is exaggerating when they say the 24th century sales are not there. Sadly I see it with my own eyes.

I've had the same experience. My local comic shop sells through TOS almost as soon as they get it. Not so with DS9, the first wave sat forever and they never bothered to order wave 2 or the Worf set. TNG usually sells eventually, but not as fast as TOS. The only TOS items that didn't sell through quickly were Mego Scotty and Uhura figures. For some reason those two just sit there in quantity. Nemesis Beverly Crusher has also failed to sell any.

I think of many reasons why TOS sells better. It is considered the original and the classic incarnation of Trek, carrying more of a nostalgia factor. TOS fans also tend to be older with more disposable income and more time for casual hobbies. TOS is also more familiar to non-fans and the general public, acrpss a wider range of age groups. So it will account for both more dedicated customers and more of the occasional casual customer.

TNG and the 24th century are still relatively recent. There really hasn't been time for nostalgia to set in. The 24th century will have their day. It just isn't today. Give it a few more years.

#9 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Jun 12 2009, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had the same experience. My local comic shop sells through TOS almost as soon as they get it. Not so with DS9, the first wave sat forever and they never bothered to order wave 2 or the Worf set. TNG usually sells eventually, but not as fast as TOS. The only TOS items that didn't sell through quickly were Mego Scotty and Uhura figures. For some reason those two just sit there in quantity. Nemesis Beverly Crusher has also failed to sell any.

I think of many reasons why TOS sells better. It is considered the original and the classic incarnation of Trek, carrying more of a nostalgia factor. TOS fans also tend to be older with more disposable income and more time for casual hobbies. TOS is also more familiar to non-fans and the general public, acrpss a wider range of age groups. So it will account for both more dedicated customers and more of the occasional casual customer.

TNG and the 24th century are still relatively recent. There really hasn't been time for nostalgia to set in. The 24th century will have their day. It just isn't today. Give it a few more years.

I agree with you knightone !!! 24th Century will have its day.... I must admit though....I would love to see the Enterprise C to finish off the DST Starship Legends Line ( After they produce the B ) I also want to see a killer DST DS9 Defiant !!!

#10 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

I think the ships are seeing success regardless of which Trek they come from. They are a separate deal since many adults stay away from figures for fear of coming off as being "kiddish", but ships can be considered models and displayed without too much stigma. Although I do think we will see a Klingon D-7 and/or K'Tinga and a Romulan BOP before we see the Enterprise-C.

#11 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Jun 12 2009, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TOS fans also tend to be older with more disposable income and more time for casual hobbies.

Can't agree with those statements. As far as nostalgia, this is the perfect time for nostalgia for trends that started in the mid-to-late 80's. Just look around and see all the other franchises from that decade being given new leases on life in the past couple years. They're everywhere. Look at all the new hype around Ghostbusters and Back to the Future, and how well those products seem to do. Transformers. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Indiana Jones. Die Hard. 80's GI Joe. Even Care Bears. The list goes on and on. Some are getting new toy lines and video games, some new movies, some big DVD releases, some even TV series reboots, and some a combination. As soon as childhood fans hit their mid-to-late 20's, they are out of college, have jobs, may not be tied down with kids and spouses, and are all set to relive their youths. That's why all these things are working right now. TNG could be working, too, but the big shots making the merchandising and movie decisions all think TOS when they think Star Trek.

#12 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

I have to look on the bright side & see how extrememly lucky I was to get TNG5.
It would have only been a step or two away from cancellation itself.

I am very disappointed by everything that's cancelled, but I am very happy I was able to get the wonderful things I did. The TNG shelf overflows with figures, especially with my TNG5 arriving recently.

I don't doubt the sales of non TOS waves have been poor. The last 2 TNG waves did not feature any of the needed characters to support a wave. DS9 would seem to need Worf involved to garner interest.

But if they need to take a break from all that to get this deal with Toys'R'Us cranking, then so be it. Hopefully Toys'R'Us will come to our rescue with a little 24th Century stuff some day. Especially if DST manage a mixed wave here & there. *hint hint wink wink nudge nudge*

#13 ryanlb

ryanlb

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:39 PM

That's not how it's been where I am. The TOS stuff has been sitting and sitting. There was one set of TNG 5 figs, 2 of WoK 1, I don't know how many Kirks and Spocks, but most of the TOS was still there when I left, minus 2 WoK figs and I took the TNG stuff with me. And next door was also filled with Kirk, Spock and McCoy, week after week. Oh well, maybe someday they'll do more TNG and DS9 figures. I can wait.

#14 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE (knightone @ Jun 12 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the ships are seeing success regardless of which Trek they come from. They are a separate deal since many adults stay away from figures for fear of coming off as being "kiddish", but ships can be considered models and displayed without too much stigma. Although I do think we will see a Klingon D-7 and/or K'Tinga and a Romulan BOP before we see the Enterprise-C.
Chuck has already been quoted as saying a Klingon ship is in the works... So I think your right; a D-7 / K'tinga is on its way first. The C is a long stretch....but the fact they are doing the B / Excelsior gives me hope for one day.

#15 Pauln6

Pauln6

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:08 AM

QUOTE (Artistix @ Jun 12 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But if they need to take a break from all that to get this deal with Toys'R'Us cranking, then so be it. Hopefully Toys'R'Us will come to our rescue with a little 24th Century stuff some day. Especially if DST manage a mixed wave here & there. *hint hint wink wink nudge nudge*

I think throwing in some 24th century stuff in a TOS wave would be a good idea. Fie on Toys R Us exclusives though. That would restrict access exclusively to the USA. Their stores in the UK don't stock the stuff. DST says other local suppliers can get hold of the stuff but that just seems to be in theory. I've never seen any.

#16 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:12 AM

QUOTE (Prometheus @ Jun 13 2009, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chuck has already been quoted as saying a Klingon ship is in the works... So I think your right; a D-7 / K'tinga is on its way first. The C is a long stretch....but the fact they are doing the B / Excelsior gives me hope for one day.

I believe the Klingon ship they are working on is the ST3 BOP. But I can almost guarantee the four ships after that and the Excelsior will probably be a Romulan BOP, D7/K'Tinga, Reliant, and Defiant.

#17 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:44 AM

I think a big reason why TOS sells better is just as a couple of posters have already said, older folks that grew up on TOS tend to have more disposable income to pursue a hobby such as collecting Star Trek items, whereas younger folks that grew up with TNG are now either in college, or out of college paying off college debt, buying a house, raising kids and with very little left over to spend on TNG stuff. Maybe a few out there do have the ability to buy, but it seems that is not the case with most. I know back in my twenties when my Daughter was small it would have been more difficult for me to spend as much as i do now on collectibles. Diapers and formula are veeeerrrryyy expensive.

#18 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Jun 13 2009, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think a big reason why TOS sells better is just as a couple of posters have already said, older folks that grew up on TOS tend to have more disposable income to pursue a hobby such as collecting Star Trek items, whereas younger folks that grew up with TNG are now either in college, or out of college paying off college debt, buying a house, raising kids and with very little left over to spend on TNG stuff. Maybe a few out there do have the ability to buy, but it seems that is not the case with most. I know back in my twenties when my Daughter was small it would have been more difficult for me to spend as much as i do now on collectibles. Diapers and formula are veeeerrrryyy expensive.

At 41, I have a 12 yr old stepson, 11 yr old stepdaughter, and a three year old son. With trombone payments, dance classes, and preschool, its sometimes like playing the lottery when the presells finally ship. Just let a bunch of some DST ship late November into December and I am really screwed, because the wife really doesn't know I'm still collecting as my booty is shipped to another address, e.i. the UPS store. But I have few hobbies and since I don't have much funds or time to do what other guys in my are do, hunt, fish, golf, or be season ticket holders, this my little ecsapism.

#19 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Jun 13 2009, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe a few out there do have the ability to buy, but it seems that is not the case with most.

Well, you're forgetting something important. A lot of Trek fans went into engineering or computers (the tech industry). That's the case with me (I'm 28 and full of TNG nostalgia). The tech industry pays very well, on average. For the past 5 years, I've consistently had just a bit more money than I had use for, hence collecting so much (Trek, movies, comics). And I know it's not just me. I have quite a few friends in the same type of work, and work with plenty of college-aged co-ops (interns) over the years and most of them spend money like it's water on whatever they want. Most are far worse than me, and are into video games. People in my demographic like I have described don't seem to be getting married and having kids as young as people used to anymore, either.

#20 ryanlb

ryanlb

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:47 AM

Ha! I got married when I was 21. I've got 2 kids, a house, and a good programming job. I don't get as much as I would like for my monthly collecting budget, but it's mostly because I'm paying off past mistakes (from collecting SW heavily a couple of years ago). I like the TOS a lot, but I'll collect DS9 and TNG over it any day. I'm sure we'll get more DS9 and TNG stuff, eventually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users