The REAL Generations Riker!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:25 AM

Well this may seem ridiculous being that these never made it on the big screen, but this has become one of my pet projects. I absolutley loved these as playmates toys being that they were the first Trek figures I had ever bought (and I got them on clearance for about $3 each!). Ive always really liked this style of uniform because it had some of that naval dress uniform class to it while most of the other Trek uniforms were very casual. So I made up my mind this week that I was going to do this style of uniform in the DST scale...and complete the crew. So here is my first go around at it with Riker. I plan to have the others shortly as I refine the process! Enjoy!

#2 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:46 AM

Awesome job, I'd actually love to see DST do those and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your crew. If Playmates hadn't rushed them out before adding the extra joints, I think they would have been some of their best figures.

#3 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:48 AM

That looks pretty neat.

I agree that the uniform they abandoned in Generations was pretty neat and wished they'd gone further with it. Great job!

#4 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:14 PM

Very nice! I too loved the abandoned uniform for Generations and wished they had gone ahead and used them. Then again, we might not have gotten the kick a$$ First Contact uniforms. I guess you win some, you lose some. I agree that the rank insignia on the wrists are a bit clunky, but I believe they were supposed to be stitched on the actual uniform so it looks okay. How did you get rid of the sculpt lines on the bottom of Riker

#5 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:07 PM

Niiiiiice Job! I love it! One of my more favorite customs you've done.

#6 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:42 PM

Wow, what an awesome custom! I wish these uniforms had seen the light of day! Nice work!

#7 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:37 PM

Wow, that does look really good HSBR.

#8 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:53 PM

Very nice job there. I agree that the uniform was an interesting choice, but I see why they never made it to the light of day.

What did you use for the rings on the sleeves?

#9 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:56 PM

i use wood filler alot because with a little water it fills in holes like the cuts in the tunic. the piece of plastic I used for the fold over jacket front also covered up a lot. The rings are made from mini hair rubber bands that I had to cut to size. Basically any rubber band will do. Thanks everyone!

#10 X-Ray

X-Ray

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:51 AM

I Love it! Since there's exactly Zero chance we'll ever see the TNG cast in their Dress uniforms, I may have to do some of those myself, they're a good substitute.

#11 Malcolm Orr

Malcolm Orr

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jun 5 2009, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i use wood filler alot because with a little water it fills in holes like the cuts in the tunic. the piece of plastic I used for the fold over jacket front also covered up a lot. The rings are made from mini hair rubber bands that I had to cut to size. Basically any rubber band will do. Thanks everyone!

Brilliant figure! The uniform looks good, but the custom too is exceptional. Have you tried milliput rather than wood filler?

#12 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:29 PM

Ive worked with stuff like scuplty that you have to bake and that never works in the long run because it becomes brittle over time and its a pain to have to bake it (and sometimes risky with certain plastics). Ive also stared using Mighty Putty which stays strong but is hard to smooth into small places, its ok for long lasting scuplts but you have limited time to work with it. Ive used hot glue in the past but that too is hard to smooth over. Whats nice about the wood filler for this is with a little water it is easy to smooth over and it will fill in areas like the lines on the uniform on its own. Im always trying out new stuff to see what works best for me even if it might be unconventional. I havent used miliput yet im not sure i know what that is?

#13 Malcolm Orr

Malcolm Orr

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jun 6 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive worked with stuff like scuplty that you have to bake and that never works in the long run because it becomes brittle over time and its a pain to have to bake it (and sometimes risky with certain plastics). Ive also stared using Mighty Putty which stays strong but is hard to smooth into small places, its ok for long lasting scuplts but you have limited time to work with it. Ive used hot glue in the past but that too is hard to smooth over. Whats nice about the wood filler for this is with a little water it is easy to smooth over and it will fill in areas like the lines on the uniform on its own. Im always trying out new stuff to see what works best for me even if it might be unconventional. I havent used miliput yet im not sure i know what that is?

I've used it for years, it's a 2 part putty that is stable for a very long period of time and can be used to smooth gaps and can be sanded and carved. I rarely use anything else. Magic sculpt is supposed to be similar and better.

#14 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (Malcolm Orr @ Jun 6 2009, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've used it for years, it's a 2 part putty that is stable for a very long period of time and can be used to smooth gaps and can be sanded and carved. I rarely use anything else. Magic sculpt is supposed to be similar and better.

Does it have to be baked? Where can I buy it?

#15 Malcolm Orr

Malcolm Orr

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jun 6 2009, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does it have to be baked? Where can I buy it?

No, it dries in about 2 hours (gets progressively harder over the first hour) and responds well to water. It's like a clay, but I understand that magic sculpt is possibly easier. However it dries well in air, and can be painted after 18 hours or so. It doesn't shrink or swell either. The Ferengi in the other thread is done with milliput. It's very adhesive to the base figure too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users