http://www.thewrap.c...to-cbs-in-2017/

Discuss. Speculate.

#2 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:13 AM

You posted this topic while I was posting mine... wish I could delete my topic. 

Not sure how I feel about it being headed by Kurtzman if it is actually true. 

#3 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:16 AM

It's gonna be a Sulu/USS Excelsior prequel.

::voiceover:: "Before they surveyed gaseous anomalies, they met as enemies."

#4 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:19 AM

I'm curious if it will be in the Prime timeline or the JJverse... Im betting on JJverse since Kurtzman is producing. 

#5 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:42 AM

It's official.

http://www.startrek....es-january-2017

I dont know what it means with the CBS All access thing, will it ONLY be airing on that? If so, that is stupid. 

#6 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:48 AM

If I'm reading it right, I think it's gonna be ONLY on that service. That's.... pretty sad but somewhat predictable, given Amazon and Netflix's model.

#7 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:52 AM

If I'm reading it right, I think it's gonna be ONLY on that service. That's.... pretty sad but somewhat predictable, given Amazon and Netflix's model.

The difference is that Netflix and Amazon are popular streaming services. 

#8 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:55 AM

I think it will be the Prime universe because CBS does not own the rights to the JJ verse.  Am I right?  Im sure they looked at all models.  I would hope that they would at least look at staggering the releases so it could be on tv at some point.  We were all wondering where Trek was going.  Now we have a piece of the puzzle.  I for one am excited.

#9 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:57 AM

It will be prime universe, it mentioned it had nothing to do with Star Trek Beyond

#10 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:58 AM

I think it will be the Prime universe because CBS does not own the rights to the JJ verse.  Am I right?  Im sure they looked at all models.  I would hope that they would at least look at staggering the releases so it could be on tv at some point.  We were all wondering where Trek was going.  Now we have a piece of the puzzle.  I for one am excited.

I'm certainly excited for it, but I don't know if I want to pay $5.99 a month just for a new Trek series. 

It will be prime universe, it mentioned it had nothing to do with Star Trek Beyond

Doesn't mean for certain that it is set in the Prime universe, just that it isn't related to Beyond. 

#11 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:03 AM

Wow, big Trek news!  Strap in for a year of speculation and spoilers!  Not happy about who is in charge...

#12 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:24 AM

Other than the JJ films, looking at Alex Kurtzman's résumé isn't the most confidence-injecting way of diving into today's news (new Hawaii 5-0, Xena Warrior Princess etc), but t'will wait and see.

EDIT: Early days yet, but Doug Drexler just posted on Facebook to say he hasn't been contacted our asked to be a part of it, and judging by some other pages, neither have the Okudas, or Rick Sternbach.

#13 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:31 AM

Other than the JJ films, looking at Alex Kurtzman's résumé isn't the most confidence-injecting way of diving into today's news (new Hawaii 5-0, Xena Warrior Princess etc), but t'will wait and see.

EDIT: Early days yet, but Doug Drexler just posted on Facebook to say he hasn't been contacted our asked to be a part of it, and judging by some other pages, neither have the Okudas, or Rick Sternbach.

If they get decent writers it couldn't be that bad.... Right? 

#14 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:42 AM

I was SO excited until I saw who was producing and the fact that it will only be on their streaming service.  Using Trek as a way to drive business to a custom network just reeks of UPN.  That didn't help build the Trek audience and UPN didn't last.

Maybe Kurtzman and CBS will be smart and bring some of the production alumni from the other TV series (I hope).

#15 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:46 AM

I was SO excited until I saw who was producing and the fact that it will only be on their streaming service.  Using Trek as a way to drive business to a custom network just reeks of UPN.  That didn't help build the Trek audience and UPN didn't last.

Maybe Kurtzman and CBS will be smart and bring some of the production alumni from the other TV series (I hope).

Unless the pilot episode blows me away, I probably won't be subscribing to watch this. 

#16 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:58 AM

Unless the pilot episode blows me away, I probably won't be subscribing to watch this. 

I can't really say any Trek pilot blew me away so...there's that.

When I think Kurtzman I think of Alias and Fringe, two shows I watched in their entirety, but looking now it seems his name is not a writing credit on very many episodes of those series at all.  Which, IMO, in the case of Fringe, is a good thing -- that show was too pseudosciency (and smug about it) for me.

Perhaps he was the silent voice of reason, hiding behind the outspoken manner of Orci and the omnipresent hallmarks of Abrams.

#17 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

I'm loving this news. Here are some thoughts: 

• No one liked Berman and he gave us 18 years of what many of us see now as the golden age of Star Trek. Kurtzman will have to prove himself for sure but he isn't beyond giving us a brilliant Star Trek TV series.
  • Having it online only is actually a VERY smart decision. The truth is, Star Trek is an unknown quantity, by developing a series for their own on-demand service eliminates costs. You look at series like Breaking Bad, in the UK at least, that was only viewable on Netflix and built a huge following. That was water-cooler TV. I have no doubt CBS want the same kind of following for their new Star Trek series.
  • The fact that it's going to be an all-new crew and that bit at the bottom about this not being linked to Star Trek Beyond suggests to me that this may not be set in the JJ Abrams Universe but rather the Prime Universe. This would be my preference as DC have done a very similar thing by separating their movie and TV universes. 
  • It would be awesome if we saw some of the behind the scenes crew back from previous Trek TV series such as Mike and Denise Okuda and also some of the writing staff like Ron Moore.
  • This is excellent news.

#18 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:32 PM

I'm baffled by the folks whining about having to pay for this.

#19 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:40 PM

I'm baffled by the folks whining about having to pay for this.

I already pay for Cable TV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. They are wanting me to pay more for a single TV Series just because it's Star Trek, and they are using it to try and make their own streaming service bigger. 

#20 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:54 PM

Agreed, I'd never even heard of this CBS streaming thing before this. That's the new model apparently: cult properties doled out through different, non-overlapping formats to make people subscribe to the thing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: star, trek, cbs, 2017, series

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users